Engines not facing the right direction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
Sanford has run into a little problem recently. All the engines are facing north, which creates a problem when all of the wyes nearby are out of service. So for those who are going to be spotting the Sunset on Saturday be on the lookout for 4-5 engines on the train after Sanford as the engines will be turned down at Stanton Connection with the rest of the equipment.

Well the other problem is that the Sunset only comes in with one unit. So the SB facing units can't just be taken off and stored. How they're getting the train out of the station in the morning is beyond me.

What does operating tri-weekly have to do with it? It still creates a problem whenever it does happen.

Also a couple of FYI's for everyone, CSX has placed the Aloma and Deland spurs out of service. Also, new company policy states that the Sunset Ltd will run to Orlando no matter what the circumstances, no more buses for Sunnyset PAX's.

While, I'm kind of confused since I don't know the whole operation. From what I know when I used to ride the AT, the train would arrive in Sanford, the 2 motives were removed and went for servicing while the train was cleaned and autos unloaded. Then prior to departure the motives would come back out and couple to the (now) head-end, then the auto carriers were attached to the rear and off they went. Now your telling me that the motives are running elephant style which is causing problems because there is no where to "Y" the units in Sanford. Let me know if I've missed something. :blink:

Yup you've got it right. There are two wyes in Sanford, one in downtown Sanford on the Aloma Spur. There are a few obstacles though, first the spur must be in service, next CSX can't be blocking the line, as a Conrad Yelvington (rock) yard is just down the road from the washer, thirdly the line has 5 MPH speed limits, so it takes a while to do the process. If Aloma is out of service than the Deland spur can be used (the switch can be seen right at Deland station). This spur is also out of service so that eliminates that option. So the only wye that is remotely close to Deland is Stanton Connection, south of Orlando, north of Kissimmee, and right near Orlando International Airport (a long way from Sanford). The Sunset wyes its equipment there when it only has one engine or is going WB. So the current plan is to add Northward facing engines to P002 Saturday night, have 002 wye them at Stanton so that Sanford has some southward facing engines necessary for the next days P001.

That's a good question. On Sunday 506 was sitting in the Engine shops getting HEP work. 513 was outside the shops awaiting a new traction motor. I'm pretty sure 514 is in JAX working as a switcher. If there is going to be movement on the project they have to find a new switcher for JAX. Many want F-40's for switchers, but I doubt it will happen. We're trying to talk management into buying Tri-Rail's 801-805 F-40's (former GP-40's) for switch use when Tri-Rail retires them in 2004. All of the units still have the front porch and would make perfect switchers. :D

There's only one of the Tri-Rail F40's that's in sad shape, that being 801. 801 has basically been the parts engine, it's original prime mover is now in 805. 801 is currently being used as the Hialeah switcher, and is the biggest gas guzzler of all the engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back