Entertaining an Amtrak vacation.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grant

I graduated college a year and a few months ago, with no luck on a "real job". I've found employment, enough to manage myself, but i'm bored. I can save enough for a 45 day ticket, but may for the 30 day pass. I will plan my trip based on the 30/12 ticket.

My initial plan is goes something like this...

New Orleans, LA -> Chicago, IL

Chicago, IL -> Minneapolis, MN

Minneapolis, MN -> Portland, OR

Portland, OR -> Sacramento, CA

Sacramento, CA -> Denver, CO

Denver, CO -> Raton, NM

Raton, NM -> Kansas City, MO

Kansas City, MO -> Chicago, IL

Chicago, IL -> DC

DC -> NYC

NYC -> Charlotte, NC

Charlotte, NC -> New Orleans, LA

This is (obviously) a LOT of traveling in 30 days, but I am up for a challenge and it seems like an amazing group of cities to travel to and enjoy for a day at a time. Now, I didn't run a full schedule on these, but I believe the longest trip is from Minneapolis to Portland as it takes 2 days. I think I can manage a full day in every city, but hopefully 2.

I want to hear from those of you who have done something similar, if there are those of you on this board. I've never done anything this intense and I honestly worry a little about numerous things. Food is no worry, but hydration is. Do the carts offer water fountains at all? Do they allow you to bring liquids aboard or do they check for and take them upon boarding?

Do most of these routes stop within a reasonable walking to distance to hotels and/or possibly hostels?

Is Amtrak a busy system as far as crowds on these trips? Can you relax more times than not on these longer trips?

I plan to plan more in depth as I move along as this is a trip for later in the year.

Thanks a lot for any help available.

Bringing your own food/non-alcoholic drinks on board is no problem. Amtrak has drinking water spigots in the coaches, occasionally with cups. Most Amtrak stations are within walking distance of hotels. Don't know about hostels. The train can get pretty ful, but even in a full coach, I don't find it to be crowded. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for a route suggestion, how about NOL-WAS-NYP-BOS-CHI-SEA-EMY-LAX-ELP-NOL, or something like that? That's the Great Amtrak Circle now, you used to be able to do NOL-JAX-WAS, but that is no more, and this is not the right thread to discuss it.

Don't worry, just take any water or food onto the train as long as you don't disturb others.

You can only drink alcohol in the Dining Car.

No unnessasary pets.

No Coach passengers in Sleepers.

Tip Diner and Sleeper addendants. Also tip station Red Caps. No need to tip anybody else.

Each passenger can check three 36' by 36' bags for free.

Dining Car meals included in Sleeper ticket.

Amfleet (single-level) lounges are usually not crowded.

Superliner (double-deck) lounges can fill up fast on Western routes.

Coach seats have 50'-55' or seat pitch. Better than any domestic airliners, First or Economy.

Don't be surprised about surly Diner or Coach attendants. They sometimes treat Sleeper pax better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back