Error 205A

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheTimelordSpy

Problem Finding Service: The service you requested is not available because there is no same day train connection. Please try a different route or different dates.
[Error ID: 205A]

Can someone please help me with this :help:

We need more info like city pairs & date(s) to even begin to try to help you.

Browning is a seasonal stop, winter only. Other times of the year, keep going to east glacier, only open in the summer.

Yes but west bound should not be a problem, because the Empire Builder *does* run every day. For example, CHW to WTN works even of you choose a day the Cardinal is not running (they just suggest an alternate start date).
Right, the problem here, as CCC suggests, is that BRO is not available after the end of April.

(Wouldn't it be nice if Arrow were to tell you that and suggest an alternative station?)

Right, the problem here, as CCC suggests, is that BRO is not available after the end of April.

(Wouldn't it be nice if Arrow were to tell you that and suggest an alternative station?)
It would be nice. But alas that is well beyond ARROW's capabilities. :(

I'm really trying to find a way to get out there by train, round trip but i just cant find a station i guess. So if anyone can find any alternate stations for me thatd be of great help (i know nothing about trains)

I'm really trying to find a way to get out there by train, round trip but i just cant find a station i guess. So if anyone can find any alternate stations for me thatd be of great help (i know nothing about trains)
As CCC mentioned, you'll have to go to East Glacier. Browning is a seasonal stop.

When i tried east glacier i got this message

Problem Finding Service: Sorry, we cannot find train service matching your request. Please try alternate stations/cities. To learn more about trains available at a particular station, please click on the 'Stations' tab above.
[Error ID: 108A]

I'm trying to go to Billings but somewhere near there will be fine

The scheduled arrival time in East Glacier is 6:45PM (probably later). This will be after any rental car office will close. Book a room in East Glacier within walking distance of EGP and rent the car in the morning.

I once rented a car in Cut Bank which was left at the station for me with the rental agreement on the sun visor and the key hidden in the gas flap. We spent the night in Cut Bank before driving through Browning on the way to St. Mary

Same issue happened to me when I tried to go from FL to Montreal. The NYC-Montreal train only runs once a day and leaves NYC way before our train from FL would arrive in NYC. You might have to use the multi-city mode (assuming where you are going isn't a seasonal stop as mentioned above).

May 10th to may 25th are my dates and i cant get any of the stations to do round trip

You can get out there May 10th, but you can't return May 25th.

The problem may be the connection between the Empire Builder and the Cardinal. You'd need to do an overnight in Chicago - but be mindful that the Cardinal only runs 3 days a week.

Or the op can catch a thru way bus direct to billings. The bus connects in Williston.

I suggest an agent at 1-800-USA-RAIL. Eastbound there is no same-day connection from the Empire Builder to the Cardinal. You can overnight in Chicago, bookable using "multi-city" trip on the website. Westbound is fine. There is also a bus connection to Billings available.

The eastbound Cardinal leaves Chicago on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Can you modify your dates to fit this timing?

If you decide to overnight in Chicago, there are many threads on here about places to stay, from inexpensive hostels to luxury hotels. (I go for the inexpensive hostel, myself).

You probably can't do single point to point return reservation, since most of the connections from the eastbound Builder are not guaranteed due to timekeeping problems, and that most definitely includes the Cardinal. I think the only trains where a connection from the eastbound Builder is allowed is the Lake Shore Limited and maybe the City of New Orleans. So you'd have to build in an overnight and use the multi-city option.

Malta is the closest station to Billings, Browning or East Glacier you'd be overshooting to the west by quite a bit. Remember, the route of the Empire Builder pretty much follows US 2 across the northern edge of the state, while Billings is down on I-90. Don't know about a rental car, though. Malta is a really small town.

CHW-MAL works on May 10. Returning on May 25 MAL-CHI works, then CHI-CHW May 27 with an overnight layover in Chicago also works using the multi-city option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back