Ethan Allen review

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the video. My friend Susan in Burlington says she thinks the Ethan Allen will be extended to Burlington as soon as this spring. Not holding my breath about the timing, but I wonder how they will then do the station in Rutland... reverse into it, since it is on a branch?

I did go far enough to check and find out that the connections work to Chicago, in both directions. 🥰 I'll be watching and hoping they do the extension.

Next on my wishlist is a train from Boston to Vermont, or at least connections that work.

Too bad he didn't go 2-3 weeks earlier at peak foliage season! Late fall in Vermont is quiet and beautiful, but peak foliage is spectacular.

Boston to Vermont would require a connection to the Vermonter in Springfield (i.e. an earlier train than the LSL), of possibly a direct route via New Hampshire and White River Junction. But NH is a notorious cheapskate, and won't fund anything. They will happily take advantage of OTHER states, like Maine and Massachusetts funding the Downeaster.
Ever had a neighbor like that?

Looking forward to riding the Ethan Allen Burlington extension whenever it does happen!! I do also wish there was an earlier Boston train other than the Lake Shore to connect to the Vermonter or upstate NY destinations. Just to speculate railroad wise you could also run a train from Boston North Station to Greenfield Massachusetts via the MBTA Fitchburg line and beyond to connect with the Amtrak Vermonter and Valley Flyer service or keep going to North Adams MA etc.... The track is in good shape the whole way even if the part in the mountains would not be high speed. But I don't think Amtrak or the state of Massachusetts has ever considered this route as it seems to be focused on the Worcester Springfield line the Lake Shore Limited uses

That would be the "Patriot Corridor" which has had significant investment in recent years as the primary freight line in the area? I am not surprised that there is no appetite to use it for passengers.

While on the topic of extension, does anyone know if there was serious consideration given to running the extension all the way to Essex Junction? It would make things easier for potential customers if they didn't have to chose in advance which station they were going to use and could. If both Ethen Allen and Vermonter served EJ, you could park your car at EJ and go into New York one one route and return on the other, depending on which timetable better served your needs.

There has been consideration, but the track between them is in horrible shape and it becomes a capital cost issue. You also can't leave a train in Essex Jct overnight, but extend it to St Albans, which is an operating cost issue, and the crew needs X number of hours off. Such an extension would alter the Ethan Allen's schedule even more that the Burlington extension has.

Green Mountain Transit has pretty good service 7 days a week on their Route 2.

I will have to check out that Green Mountain bus service. Thanks for mentioning it. Not that it is going to happen but North Station to Fitchburg(50 something miles) is already good for up to 79mph for MBTA trains and already owned by the state of Massachusetts . Fitchburg to Greenfield is of similar distance and is a regular signaled freight main line track with modern heavy rail. Don't really know but guessing maybe 25mph for freight which probably makes it like 40mph currently for passenger or office train but that wouldn't take that much of a tie and rail project to improve to 60 or 79mph if the Federal Govt or State wanted it done. This is the line that the Hoosac tunnel is on and also part of the pending sale of Pan Am railways to CSX and a different Third Party regional. That sale will also affect the Downeaster service. Anyway not too many trains so traffic is not much of an issue.
Most likely not ever going to happen but one can speculate. For the short term I would be really happy with multiple trains a day Boston to Albany NY so you could connect to the NY Empire service at least. In the end I almost think too much thought and consideration is given to routes/corridors as stand alone trains. When you have enough of a system and frequencies, connections and transfers between lines and trains can be commonplace and not that big a deal.

Not a specific date though. Unofficially it was thought to be the 20th.
Finally we have news about the extension. I checked the News every week, and now finally we have an idea. Is July really confirmed?

Why can't they start right now, what needs to be done?

After 2021, were as far as I know no single mile of new passenger rail line was opened (neither commuter rail nor Amtrak nor Via Rail), that's a beautiful step towards further expansion, hopefully alongside Redlands, CA and Wawa, PA this year. The Gulf Coast service I can't imagine to happen before 2023.

Who ever is responsible for all the work will not accept until all punch list items are corrected. That may involve more than one contractor or subs. Depending on local laws use before acceptance can be the cause of not getting everything finished.

After 2021, were as far as I know no single mile of new passenger rail line was opened (neither commuter rail nor Amtrak nor Via Rail), that's a beautiful step towards further expansion, hopefully alongside Redlands, CA and Wawa, PA this year.
SEPTA Regional Rail extension to Wawa (Middletown station) is projected to open on or about July 1 this year.

Back