Ethan Allen schedule change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No but the arrivals and departures can be schedule an appropriate amount of time apart while passengers for both service can be processed simultaneously through C&I, that was my point. Afterall two flights can arrive at the same gate, one followed by the other, after the first aircraft is moved away from the gate, and the disembarkation of the passengers of the second flight need not be held up waiting for the passengers of the first flight to clear C&I. Similarly on the departure side.

I wouldn't really say that is a speedy process either because we have a lot of waits for it. It also depends how they are doing the customs. If they do it like the Cascades car by car that can take some time. Or if they all can detrain and that's that then that would be quicker. Or because it's an island platform they could have two in at the same time. Or if the platform was long enough you could just pull the train forward enough to clear a second one behind it.

I wouldn't really say that is a speedy process either because we have a lot of waits for it. It also depends how they are doing the customs. If they do it like the Cascades car by car that can take some time. Or if they all can detrain and that's that then that would be quicker. Or because it's an island platform they could have two in at the same time. Or if the platform was long enough you could just pull the train forward enough to clear a second one behind it.

From a book I have "Mount Royal Tunnel" by Anthony Clegg, there is track map of Central Terminal as originally built, tracks 7 thru 23. Track 23 is not normally used, but has only a side platform for itself at the eastern side.

Attachments

• IMG_20220405_141145.jpg
    IMG_20220405_141145.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 20
Just a guess, but I expect we'll know a start date by late May and that ticket sales will begin once a date is set. Active preparations appear to be under way. When I was in Castleton, Vt., last week, I saw an Amtrak test train go through southbound in the mid-afternoon, a couple of hours behind the southbound Ethan Allen, which I had seen earlier on the New York side of the border. Consist was one coach and a cafe car with locomotives at each end for push-pull operation.

I don't think so. They don't even have a station code for the Burlington station. I doubt very much it will be the same as the Downtown Transit Center, which is the local bus terminal, where Translines also calls.

There is no schedule, nor have they even come up with station codes.
*cough cough* there actually are station codes, because most of these stations have buses going to them. Most of them are lurking in the GTFS data; the only one I don't know yet is the new Burlington station.

The schedule does not exist yet. When it shows up in GTFS, I'll make up a timetable for y'all.

Somehow it seems to me that adding a station code or two to GTFS and another timetable is relatively trivial, once the more difficult task of actually deciding the time values to populate it with have been determined. In any case it is the latter that excites most of us lay travelers too. We couldn't care less whether there was a station code or not, right?

Last edited:
Would also be nice to be able to secure a ticket.
That and a timetable are the real things we as run of the mill customers care about. The rest is railfan geekfest that many of us enjoy and the actual operators care about :p

Fantastic news! Of course Amtrak doesn't have its (stuff) together and still doesn't have reservations open or station codes created, but this is the first expansion since Roanoke on October 31, 2017, which was 53 miles. This will be 75 miles with three new stations. I don't really count New Haven State Street on the Hartford Line.

I am trying to figure out how to get up there for cheap; really too bad there's not an additional Vermonter/Montrealer frequency to explore that part of beautiful Vermont more.

Northbound, I would still stick with train 281 and VT Translines northbound and get there around 6pm. The Ethan Allen will get there around 10pm, after the transit bus system is about shut down. I could see locals taking it, but not so much tourists since downtown Burlington hotels will put you back $300 - $400 a night.

Fantastic news! Of course Amtrak doesn't have its (stuff) together and still doesn't have reservations open or station codes created,
And per the announcement, hasn't actually finalized the schedule. Sigh. Well, should happen soon.

but this is the first expansion since Roanoke on October 31, 2017, which was 53 miles. This will be 75 miles with three new stations. I don't really count New Haven State Street on the Hartford Line.
Yeah, this is also an expansion we've been trying to get for literally decades. Much the rehabilitation of the line was funded by a Congressional earmark from 2005, which tells you the delays. It is very good news.

I am trying to figure out how to get up there for cheap; really too bad there's not an additional Vermonter/Montrealer frequency to explore that part of beautiful Vermont more.

Addison County held an Amtrak Information Meeting today via Zoom and in response to a question about transit connections they said that they have been talking to the transit agencies like GMT in Burlington to have onward connections available. Further details will be provided at a later point and they highlighted that they can't make any promises for the Sunday night arrival, but that on other days there should still be bus service available for arriving passengers.

Back