Everybodys opinion on the best Commuter Operation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is totally subjective of course but I am curious to know what criteria we are using to make our determination of which is the best. I use the following. Coverage area, frequency of service, euqipment used, fares, stations and facilities, saftey, and convenience to the CBD of the city it serves. I use mostly the same criteria for subways with the exception of the last one.

I will admit that the DC Metro is nice and has all the bells and whistles people like for a subway system. However, the fare structure leaves much to be desired (zonal as opposed to a flat rate) and it leaves a major section of the city without service as the only stop remotely close to Georgetown is Foggy Bottom. I feel the same way about BART in the City of San Francisco as I think it is quite adequate in the City of Oakland but I might argue BART as more of a commuter operation and less of a subway but that too is very much open to debate.

As for which subway is the best hard to say as different ones are better in different categories. For example I have ridden subways in Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Los Angeles, San Francisco (some would argue the MUNI MArket Street subway as one even BART), Toronto and Montreal.

For coverage area, frequency of service, and fares I would go with New York, placing Philly at the opposite end of the spectrum as their subway costs $2 a ride and does not really go anywhere except the Center City Area. Los Angeles too does not truly go anywhere particular especially downtown as they got into the subway game very late.

For equipment I would go with Montreal as they use trains similar to those in the Paris Metro operating with rubber tires. Since the cars do not go above ground with the exception of one station so they took all of the glass out of the windows between the cars replacing them with mesh grates to circulate the air. It makes for an interesting ride. DC and BART are a close second (a tie) because of the carpeting (and for BART the comfortable seats) as well as their general apperance.

Stations and facilities is split as I like the older New York stations for their charm, but I like the DC and LA stations for their cleanliness, and I hate BART's for their antiseptic look.

As for saftey it all depends on the situation and where I am but overall I felt quite safe on the Montreal, DC, BART, Boston, and Atlanta systems. The increased visible police presence on the NYC subway makes me feel fairly safe but some of the neighborhoods served are not wonderful and when riding through those I am on a more heightened alert. I felt the least safe on the Los Angeles subway because they allow people to ride on the honor system meaning no turnstiles or fare collection equipment to allow entry just periodic checks by the LAPD, thus anyone can get on. Proof of payment on a subway system is a joke but that's another topic in itself.

So using my own subjective standards NYC has the best subway system but the others have positive aspects about them as well

Back to the airline and bus thing for a moment. Like Amfleet and Viewliner I really do like the take-off best on a plane. I am not, however, the slimmest person in the world so those second class seats are real killers.

My tolerance for a bus has, so far, proven to be about eight hours. That is stretching it. For a trip of about two hours, an express bus does nicely.

I do agree that airline seats are quite cramped but I would not upgrade to First Class on domestic flights. Frankly $500 for a blanket, small pillow, and pretzels in a glass dish is a bit much. <_<

Agreed---I've never flown first class in my life, when I was paying for it(another whole story). Not worth it---it is a squeeze(second class seats) for me but not THAT much.

When people try to compare first class air fare with first class railfare, sometimes the truth finally comes out as to how expensive air travel really can be.There are so many airline discounts that people have the false impression that flying is cheap....and it is on competitive routes, if you know what you are doing. But other times, it is unreal.

It also strikes me as to how second class rail(coaoh) is just about the same comfort level as first class air.

I've only rode CalTrain and the cars are old but clean. If you consider the Surfliner a commuter, that one ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someday I'll ride the Metrolink....probably when i live in Norco and avoid the 91 traffic

Coach34135-too lazy to sign in:

Freeway 91 is a big nightmare! I grew up near Norco area. Part of lanes are tollroad. Also 57 is a killer, too!

You have three routes from Norco area- Riverside Line, Orange County Line, and 91 Line. Both Corona stations are busy due to northbound I-15 commuters and explosive home growth in formerly Dairyland area. It's funny that I'm a dairyman and moved out that area due urban encroachment, moving to New Mexico, near TX border. Bummer that there is no commuter trains, just freight.

gswager said:
Coach34135-too lazy to sign in:
Freeway 91 is a big nightmare! I grew up near Norco area. Part of lanes are tollroad. Also 57 is a killer, too!

You have three routes from Norco area- Riverside Line, Orange County Line, and 91 Line. Both Corona stations are busy due to northbound I-15 commuters and explosive home growth in formerly Dairyland area. It's funny that I'm a dairyman and moved out that area due urban encroachment, moving to New Mexico, near TX border. Bummer that there is no commuter trains, just freight.
Interesting you say youre a dairy man...

im trying to get a house out there in norco...i hope the smell leaves someday

And yeah i gonna use the ORCo line alot!

my simple question...

What happens to all those cows when you sell? Do they end up in a BigMac? Or did you mooooove all your 4 legged workers?

Living in Riverside should be no problem. They don't care to preserve open space at all. In San Bernardino (my friend call it San Berdoo) county, they're really careful about it to keep space open.

As for cows, if they're old or not very promising future, they go for tacos. For good ones, they either sell to other dairymen or mooving with us.

The smell- it depends on where the dairy is. Biggest smell occurred after heavy rains.

For Santa Ana winds, winds is nasty, esp. with Norco due to Santa Ana River filled with bushes and trees. Best sight during fire- watching planes dive down and drop water over it.

Miss those old days in Dairyland

Is there a statute of limitations on complimenting somebody? If not I would like to compliment Superliner Diner for that very thorough, very beautifully done job of summarizing commuter operations in the states. I just now printed it out and will take it home for quick reference. Good job!

Bill Haithcoat said:
Is there a statute of limitations on complimenting somebody? If not I would like to compliment Superliner Diner for that very thorough, very beautifully done job of summarizing computer operations in the states. I just now printed it out and will take it home for quick reference. Good job!
No, fire away, will accept all compliments. :D :D Thanks for your kind words!!

Back