Expect Delays around Savannah

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VentureForth

Engineer
Today (5/2) at around 11:30 AM, an Air Force WC-130 crashed just after takeoff from Savannah Hilton Head International Airport.

It crashed onto US Highway 21 at Gulfstream Road. The CSX Mainline that parallels US-21 is the host to the Silver Meteor, Auto Train and the Palmetto. CSX has closed that portion of the tracks for the time being.

The Silver Meteor may​ not be affected, other than backup caused by the section closed causing backup from the freight backlog.

The first train to go through the affected area is 98, which is already running an hour late as it leaves Jacksonville.

If anyone has any other details regarding the status of Amtrak trains through this area, please post.

Last edited by a moderator:
It crashed onto US Highway 21 at Gulfstream Road.
You mean Georgia 21. This is the area north of Central Jct (and north of the Amtrak station) where the ex-ACL and ex-SAL main lines are only a few hundred yards apart, running roughly parallel until they diverge several miles north.

Looks like the plan right now will have 52(02), 53(02), 97(02) and 98(02) detour the S Line between SAV and Selma.

It crashed onto US Highway 21 at Gulfstream Road.
You mean Georgia 21. This is the area north of Central Jct (and north of the Amtrak station) where the ex-ACL and ex-SAL main lines are only a few hundred yards apart, running roughly parallel until they diverge several miles north.
Yes, I live here, and I am pedantic about this sorta stuff, and I mistyped. The emotion got to me. It happened a mile away from where I work.

98, having cleared the S-line and the H-line, was almost 7 hours late leaving Rocky Mount.

92 is approaching Cary. I assume 52 is still trailing it, although the real-time tracking from 52's locomotive stopped in South Carolina. This would make 52 many hours late.

97 was reported between Selma and Raleigh at 0501. Don't know its current whereabouts.

53 did remain on the A-line and is currently between Charleston and Savannah. It was delayed at Centralia for another reason.

98, having cleared the S-line and the H-line, was almost 7 hours late leaving Rocky Mount.

92 is approaching Cary. I assume 52 is still trailing it, although the real-time tracking from 52's locomotive stopped in South Carolina. This would make 52 many hours late.

97 was reported between Selma and Raleigh at 0501. Don't know its current whereabouts.

53 did remain on the A-line and is currently between Charleston and Savannah. It was delayed at Centralia for another reason.
So in other words, the trains are pure hell down there.

So in other words, the trains are pure hell down there.
Sounds like they’re moving. Could have been a lot worse - such as sitting still for hours & hours.

Shanghai is on 97 and I heard from him not too long ago. They are in Columbia, SC (and have been for a while) dwelling and waiting for a new crew from CHS (since their crew timed out). Shanghai thought that they were about 4 hours late - I am guessing, it will be longer.

It appears that "track a train" does not show an accurate location of 97.

97 departed CLB around 1:30pm, according to Shanghai.

We departed Columbia at 1:30pm and are currently at or about Fairfax, SC.

We were stopped in Columbia for more than two hours. We were also delayed

in Rocky Mount, NC for one hour. Amtrak announced busing of passengers between

Rocky Mount and Savanna due to the reroute of train 97.I'm expecting

an approximate arrival into Winter Haven of about 7:00pm, 5 hours late.

It's a cluster mess. I heard the southern of the two CSX mainline tracks parallel to GA-21 are cleared for use but the northern track has not been cleared. This would certainly back up the freight traffic. And if the northern track isn't open, then it's probably because it was damaged by the heat and it could be a few days before that rail is fit for traffic.

I drove kinda close to the activity today and with the closed roads, one can't get real close at all to see anything. They are reporting that GA-21 could be closed for weeks! This is a major artery into Savannah from the NW suburbs.

I'm more impressed that when the c130 crashed it didn't take anyone on the ground out with it. My fathers family is from Port Wentworth literally half a mile from the crash. And every time I've ever been down there 21 has been packed.

I'm wondering if the Auto Train's detour was slightly different from that of the Silver Meteor. Was the AT still able to make its service stop in Florence?

I also saw a video on an Amtrak FB page that showed the AT passing through Cary, NC (where the Silver Star goes). The poster of the video said that the Meteor passed through there too.

I'm wondering if the Auto Train's detour was slightly different from that of the Silver Meteor. Was the AT still able to make its service stop in Florence?

I also saw a video on an Amtrak FB page that showed the AT passing through Cary, NC (where the Silver Star goes). The poster of the video said that the Meteor passed through there too.
All the trains that were rerouted followed the route of the Silver Star all the way to/from Selma. In the past, another line from Hamlet east to the A-line has been used, but not this time. The AT was not able to stop in Florence although I am not sure what was done instead.

The available detours between SAV and Selma for the A line are as follows.

-silver star route

-for problems north of kingstree or south of it one can take the Cross sub from just south of Salters to Sumter and catch the Eastover Sub to reach Columbia where one can join the Silver Star route.

-for problems north of Dillon and south of Selma. Take the Andrews Sub from Dillon to Hamlet, then the Aberdeen Sub to Cary and such.

-for problems south of Dillon take the Wilmington Sub from Pembroke, NC to Hamlet and then the Hamlet Sub south. Backup move required.

-for problems north of Fayetteville there is a Norfolk Southern line that cuts across to Raleigh from FAY.

-for problems north of Charleston and south of Salters could also take the Norfolk Southern SC line to Columbia from Charleston and onto the Hamlet sub.

-for problems south of Yemmessee and north of Savannah one can take the ex Charleston and Western Carolina to Fairfax from YEM and then follow the Columbia sub south. Backup move required.

The silver star also can use all of these detours for problems on the S Line. In addition it has a few interesting options as well.

-for problems north of Fairfax but south of Columbia take the ex Charleston and Western Carolina to Augusta then the Norfolk Southern R Line.

-for problems north of fairfax and south of Hamlet. Take the Charleston and Western Carolina route via Augusta to Greenwood. Then use the ex Seaboard Atlanta main to Hamlet.

For problems north of Columbia and South of Hamlet take the Norfolk Southern R line to Charlotte and follow the Piedmont Route.

The Crescent in the recent past has ran Charlotte to Monroe on the Charlotte sub. Then ran around its train and went down the Monroe, and Abbeyville subs to Atlanta on the ex Seaboard Atlanta Main.

I'm more impressed that when the c130 crashed it didn't take anyone on the ground out with it. My fathers family is from Port Wentworth literally half a mile from the crash. And every time I've ever been down there 21 has been packed.
I am familiar with this area of Savannah. I agree. God be praised that others in the area were not lost in this tragedy.

I am familiar with this area of Savannah. I agree. God be praised that others in the area were not lost in this tragedy.
Had they lost control about twenty seconds later it's very likely it would have landed on my dads childhood home. Or in the elementary school behind his old house. So we are truly lucky it happened then instead of taking out a suburban area and elementary school.

All the trains that were rerouted followed the route of the Silver Star all the way to/from Selma. In the past, another line from Hamlet east to the A-line has been used, but not this time. The AT was not able to stop in Florence although I am not sure what was done instead.
Gotcha. I thought that perhaps the AT couldn't stop in Florence, but wasn't sure what was done either.

52 did stop for a while in Raleigh, two spottings on the too-short platform, and items were seen being taken on and off. I don't know about engine fuel, however.

Back