Experiences using tickets on slightly different trains/buses than orig

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Explore

Train Attendant
In the NEC, the conductors rightly check to make sure you're on the reserved train you're ticketed for. Fare differences between individual trains can be substantial.

But reserved state-supported services in CA appear to have no bucket pricing. Therefore, the only reasons for having reserved space on Thruway buses and San Joaquin trains must be to provide occasional added space to meet demand, or cut off ticket sales if ultimate capacity is reached.

Since Amtrak is unlikely to oversell, there will almost always be no-shows and a few spare seats, it seems to me. In practice, trains and buses rarely come close to selling out, so there would appear to be little harm in traveling on a different service of the same type as ticketed, within the time validity of the ticket but certainly on the same day as ticketed.

Has anyone actually had a problem with a conductor or bus driver, outside the NEC, refusing to accept a ticket if it's for a different departure of the same type, between the same points, on the same day? Details please.

Depends I no some California service is Unreserved in which case you can ride anything with that destination. If not then I would not chance it. Take it to the ticket agent they can can swap it to the right dates and times for you.

In the NEC, the conductors rightly check to make sure you're on the reserved train you're ticketed for. Fare differences between individual trains can be substantial.
But reserved state-supported services in CA appear to have no bucket pricing. Therefore, the only reasons for having reserved space on Thruway buses and San Joaquin trains must be to provide occasional added space to meet demand, or cut off ticket sales if ultimate capacity is reached.

Since Amtrak is unlikely to oversell, there will almost always be no-shows and a few spare seats, it seems to me. In practice, trains and buses rarely come close to selling out, so there would appear to be little harm in traveling on a different service of the same type as ticketed, within the time validity of the ticket but certainly on the same day as ticketed.

Has anyone actually had a problem with a conductor or bus driver, outside the NEC, refusing to accept a ticket if it's for a different departure of the same type, between the same points, on the same day? Details please.
I came over three hours late off the Capitol Limited at WAS, presented at the Club Acela for a re-booking and was told to run for the next departing corridor train. Passed at the barrier with a ticket for a train that had left over 2 hours earlier and the very bodacious conductor took the ticket without a query.

So even on the NEC you can change services without re-booking. And no-one involved with checking my ticket knew that I had boarded originally in LAX (and was very frazzled).

The San Joaquin does use yield management "bucket" pricing.

One time when I was riding a Keysytone train from Harrisburg to Lancaster... I had attatched a ticket for the next day to go from Lancaster to NYP. When the Conductor took my ticket, he asked if I was planning on using the NYP portion on his train, or the next day as the ticket read. So it seems that Corridor trains are pretty lenient on ticket dates/times. This was a few years ago... but post 9/11

I wouldn't try this practice too much. Obviously on unreserved trains, like the Surfliners, Capitol Corridor, it does not matter which train you ride on. And I would for sure not try this on the long distance trains. Those trains often sell out. But on trains that run on the corridors with frequent service that are reserved, I'm sure you could get away with it every once in a while. When I was boarding a NE Regional in Washington, the train prior to mine had cancelled, so instead of changing everyones ticket, they just told everyone to board the next train with their original ticket, which was my train. But if you have time, I would just change your ticket.

When I was boarding a NE Regional in Washington, the train prior to mine had cancelled, so instead of changing everyones ticket, they just told everyone to board the next train with their original ticket, which was my train.
I would assume that the conductor was aware of this, and knew he should be accepting the "other train's" tickets too.

Which brings me to my question. Is being allowed to use an Amtrak ticket for a different train or different day an official Amtrak policy, or is it simply up to catching a conductor feeling unusually lenient/generous?

I've seen the Starlight deny boarding to folks who had "unreserved" tickets for the Surfliner even though the Starlight was headed to their stop of LAX. They told them to wait for the Surfliner, even though they had seats available on the Starlight. This was at the Santa Barbara station.

I've seen the Starlight deny boarding to folks who had "unreserved" tickets for the Surfliner even though the Starlight was headed to their stop of LAX. They told them to wait for the Surfliner, even though they had seats available on the Starlight. This was at the Santa Barbara station.
That's because California doesn't subsidize that train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back