Express Deals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ridden the Canadian on Express Fares in both a Cabin for One and a Lower Section Berth(it has a window, the top bed doesn't like a Superliner Roomette) and found the Bed in the Lower more Comfortable and $300 Less!, The Cabin for one is like Amtrak's Roomette, but Smaller!

I have a friend who is interested in traveling from Vancouver to Halifax either using a tour (which could cost close to $10,000) or plan it himself. I looked at some of the fares and did not see 50% off or express deals for the time frame he is looking (early September). In fact, the days that I was looking, even the discounted fares were sold out and all that remained was the full refundable fare. Maybe that is a good thing for VIA. Let me know if I am missing something.

BTW, making his own reservations directly with VIA would cost less than half of the tour price, but hotels, city tours, etc. are not included.

As you know Penny Canada and the Canadian are " hot" in the Summer Tourist season so prices are High Bucket on Everything!

If your friend is flexible with time after Canadian Thanksgiving ( early October) the prices really go down on everything tourist related! And of course winter is the cheapest time of all in the great white North!

Express fares and 5o% off deals pop up all the time on via,ca but they go fast!

I would say that paying $10k for such a trip is on the high side and that making your own arrangements is more fun and cheaper! ( you won't have 5 star hotels but with the 5day/ 4 night Canadian Schedule that cuts down on this expense!)

Public transportation is very good in most Canadian Cities and there are reasonable places to eat/ stayvetc if you do research! The early bird gets the deals!

Jim, he wants to take the Ocean as well as the Canadian and I believe Sleeper Plus Class ends on the Ocean sometime in the fall. I also understand that the Park car is removed from the Ocean in the fall - at least last time I checked (3 years ago when I took the Ocean).

Does anyone know the status of Sleeper Plus and Park Car on the Ocean. On the date in September that I checked, Sleeper Plus was available.

NS VIA FAN for sure has this info! Maybe you can PM him Penny, the VIA website isn't all that helpful since the redesign!
Thanks Jim. Great suggestion. I just did it. :)
Glad to help........

The last eastbound Ocean from Montreal offering Sleeper Plus Class is the departure on Sunday, Oct 12 (Thanksgiving Weekend) But since the Ocean went tri-weekly two years ago there’s been a Dome year ‘round. The first winter, 2012/13, VIA used a Skyline on the tail-end but since then......it’s been a Park Car and once Sleeper Plus Class end for the season.....the Park is open to all Sleeper passengers.

NS VIA FAN for sure has this info! Maybe you can PM him Penny, the VIA website isn't all that helpful since the redesign!
Thanks Jim. Great suggestion. I just did it. :)
Glad to help........

The last eastbound Ocean from Montreal offering Sleeper Plus Class is the departure on Sunday, Oct 12 (Thanksgiving Weekend) But since the Ocean went tri-weekly two years ago there’s been a Dome year ‘round. The first winter, 2012/13, VIA used a Skyline on the tail-end but since then......it’s been a Park Car and once Sleeper Plus Class end for the season.....the Park is open to all Sleeper passengers.
Thanks. I have passed this information on to my friend.

Back