Extend Heartland Flyer?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from equipment usage and maintenance issues, what are the pros and cons of extending the HF to Newton? One probable "con" that I have is this, "Where's Newton? What's there?"
Usually trains go to a place that is an attractive destination in and of itself. Emeryville, CA, probably is the silliest destination, but it's close to Oakland and San Francisco, and is used instead of Oakland so that the CZ doesn't have to be backed several blocks down a busy city street.
There is NOTHING in Newton. It has a population of 17k. It's famous for the 'Gun Fight at Hide Park' where 8 men met there end. You remember the 'movie' don't you? haha. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton,_Kansas

Wichita on the other hand is around 360k in population including Newton. Wichita has a large aircraft industry to support it. But it's more famous for this: "The city was officially incorporated in 1870. Its position on the Chisholm Trail made it a destination for cattle drives headed north to access railroads to eastern markets. As a result, it became a railhead destination for cattle drives from Texas and other south-western points, from whence it has derived its nickname "Cowtown." It quickly gained a wild reputation, and had numerous well-known lawmen pass through, employed to help keep the rowdy cowboys in line. Among those was Wyatt Earp."

The train if extended would serve both these towns in the wee hours so I can't see it being very important to either of them. Hence the necessity to extend the Heartland Flyer to Kansas City as it destination end point.

Well it was a sad trip back to Oklahoma on this weekends Heartland Flyer! The FTW staff told me that the train had run to/from Dallas for this weekend for the annual whipping that the Horns put on the Sooners, I rode the Eagle back to Austin and it was full of celebrating fans ("Hook 'EM!!"), the train even ran out of alcohol on the way to Austin!!(imagine that!LOL)

Of course the Flyer needs to be run to Kansas City to connect with the Chief, having to Ambus overnite from OKC or ride the Eagle to STL to catch the River Runner (who thinks up these names, the Mule was much better!!!LOL)is clearly

impractical and stupid!!Running this train to newton is like stopping the SSL in Maricopa and Yuma, opps, guess Amthink

is a real thing!!!

Still trying to decide when I ride the Chief this fall whether to go through OKC on the Flyer/Bus or overnight to STL or even up to SPI and bus it to GBB, the train ideas seem better, the OKC-KCY overnite bus is brutal!!

Well it was a sad trip back to Oklahoma on this weekends Heartland Flyer! The FTW staff told me that the train had run to/from Dallas for this weekend for the annual whipping that the Horns put on the Sooners, I rode the Eagle back to Austin and it was full of celebrating fans ("Hook 'EM!!"), the train even ran out of alcohol on the way to Austin!!(imagine that!LOL)
Of course the Flyer needs to be run to Kansas City to connect with the Chief, having to Ambus overnite from OKC or ride the Eagle to STL to catch the River Runner (who thinks up these names, the Mule was much better!!!LOL)is clearly

impractical and stupid!!Running this train to newton is like stopping the SSL in Maricopa and Yuma, opps, guess Amthink

is a real thing!!!

Still trying to decide when I ride the Chief this fall whether to go through OKC on the Flyer/Bus or overnight to STL or even up to SPI and bus it to GBB, the train ideas seem better, the OKC-KCY overnite bus is brutal!!
Any overnight bus ride is terror, and I know a few people who actually did the "bustitution" to Kansas City to pick up the Chief and hated every minute of it.

Meanwhile, the 2 extra Coaches the Heartland Flyer carried this weekend are being uncoupled in FTW and by tonight, she'll be back to her regular 3 Coach consist. At least the upset Sooner fans could enjoy hearing U2 as they arrived in Norman last night :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back