Extended Transfers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScouseAndy

Lead Service Attendant
is there a way to book a single ticket from San Francisco to NY via the CZ and Cardinal overnighting in Chicago to guarantee the connection? I know I can book single tickets but the cost of single tickets is in excess of the price of a single straight thru ticket the same day and surely by breaking the journey I am limiting Amtrak's risk to stick me in over night accommodation or pay for minibus/taxi to catch up the train so I don't think it makes sense to charge me extra for it.

If I ring up will they sell me a single ticket or will it be the same as online?

Well, they define a same day transfer as needing to be 23.5 hours or less in scheduled duration.

I would try the multi city option, and maybe break your journey at Naperville, as that would count as a stopover and Naperville has commuter trains back to Chicago.

A stopover will not raise the price.

EDIT: I would try for train 383 as that will guarantee that the stopover rule is triggered. Naperville is one of two stations on the route that are labled as "Passengers not carried locally between this station and Chicago except when connecting at Chicago to/from other Amtrak trains."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back