Extending an Amtrak Voucher?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an Amtrak non-refundable voucher that expires in March.

I am wondering if anyone has been able to have a voucher extended in light of COVID-19 and if so, what would be the best Amtrak department and number to call to request this. (Maybe Amtrak has made a general policy to extend expiring vouchers but if so, I have not seen it.)

I guess if the voucher cannot be extended I could go ahead and use it now to book a trip in November which is probably the soonest time I might be traveling by Amtrak to visit relatives and hopefully the virus would be more under control at that point.

Thank you.

That's a good question! But not one I know the answer to. I would call 1-800-USA-RAIL and ask for Customer Relations (they have more authority for those sorts of things) or if that doesn't work call Amtrak Guest Rewards at 1-800-307-5000.

I might be dealing with the same thing next month. A senior friend with me had a trip last year scheduled that we had to cancel.

I have an Amtrak non-refundable voucher that expires

I had the same issue recently and didn't know the answer -- but not seeing any announcement or discussions about it, I assumed there was no extension possibility, maybe incorrectly? Anyway, I used up the vouchers by making reservations for trips in August, 2021.

August, 2021 -- I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

I have a current voucher for 1500. Is it possible to use some of it and have Amtrak transfer the balance to a new voucher?

I have a current voucher for 1500. Is it possible to use some of it and have Amtrak transfer the balance to a new voucher?
Depends on the type of voucher. Is it one that you got after cancelling a trip? If so, yes, you can use part of it and the rest will either remain on that voucher or transfer to a new voucher (I forget which way it's handled). If it's a voucher for a "bad trip", then I think you need to use the whole voucher at once.

Success! Success!

Thanks to the advice here I called Amtrak customer relations today. They explained that they have no way of "extending" a voucher but they can cancel an existing voucher on the date they receive the request and issue a new voucher that expires in one year. Since my voucher expired in March, I could have called back in early next month and got a new voucher which would expire in March 2022 but I decided to cancel and get the new voucher today. I assume this procedure will only be in effect during the COVID-19 crisis.

The wait time for this request was exceptionally short.

That's great! Thanks for sharing. who cares what they call it, basically the deadline to use the voucher has been extended a year from now, you can take your time and decide how you'd like to use it.

Back