extra leg room on Superliner coach class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richm49

Train Attendant
I read a tip from another rail fan site that states if you are riding in coach on a Superliner make sure to get a seat on the side of the car where the stairs are located. This tip claims that seats on that side have 2" more leg room. After having carefully checked out the diagram layouts for Superliner coaches it appears there may be some truth to this claim. The side of the car opposite the stairs has 17 rows of seating while the side where the stairs are located has only 14 rows of seats. I realize these diagrams may not be drawn to scale but it certainly does appear that seats on the stairs side of the car are spaced slightly farther apart.

Does anyone have any definitive specifications to support this claim of extra leg room? I would greatly appreciate any feedback that could be provided.

The side with the stairs lacks three rows because of the stairs. The gap is where the stairs are.

If you look at the seat pairs online, the drawing really isn't to scale. The seat pairs actually line up across the aisle from each other.

The leg room and seat pitch is exactly the same except for the two rows on each end of the car by the doors which have beaucoups of leg room but lack tray tables!(also they ride rougher since they are over the try ks and the doors opening and closing makes it noisier and also drafty!

Last edited by a moderator:
This an interesting topic and one that I've always pondered: it appears that there is a bit of extra legroom on the stairway side of the car. As I recall the seat pairs immediately forward and rear of the stairway bulkheads appear to have more legroom. I have also noted that IMO those two seat pairs seem to have a much smoother ride, likely due the "centered" position in the car. I once rode the EB to Portland seated directly forward of the stairway bulkhead. It was a very smooth and quiet ride and gave me some extra room behind the seat to stow my carry-on bag. There was no noise from people behind me, as I've noted in other coach seats.

Last edited by a moderator:
This an interesting topic and one that I've always pondered: it appears that there is a bit of extra legroom on the stairway side of the car. As I recall the seat pairs immediately forward and rear of the stairway bulkheads appear to have more legroom. I have also noted that IMO those two seat pairs seem to have a much smoother ride, likely due the "centered" position in the car. I once rode the EB to Portland seated directly forward of the stairway bulkhead. It was a very smooth and quiet ride and gave me some extra room behind the seat to stow my carry-on bag. There was no noise from people behind me, as I've noted in other coach seats.
So then what you are saying is that the seats immediately fore and aft of the stairs would be the ones to have some extra legroom.Keeping the stairway bulkhead directly behind you would certainly provide some noise buffer from that direction plus provide some slight extra storage space for your bag. That sounds like a plan. I will have to check this out for myself and let you know my findings when I return from my trip in early November.Appreciate the reply and the insight.

Are you allowed to choose your own seat selection in coach on a Superliner or does the conductor assign you to a seat when you board?

The Car Attendant or crew member will generally assign the seating. You can pick sometimes but I wouldn't go in with that expectation as it isn't generally the norm at most stops.

There are a few places such as the first stop for the California Zephyr in Emeryville, CA where seating has generally been first come, first serve every time I've ridden coach from there. I was only told which car to sit in but could otherwise pick my own seat within the car. Most stops they will assign both the car and the seats or sometimes assign the seats in advance of boarding when you show up at the station.

Thx roadman3313. Appreciate the info. So it would appear that my chances of getting a specific seat selection of my choice would be slim to none. Does that seat selection process apply to boarding trains at their originating stations also or just at intermediate stops along the line? Also, if you are not happy with your seat assignment can you ask for a different seat,if available?

So then what you are saying is that the seats immediately fore and aft of the stairs would be the ones to have some extra legroom.Keeping the stairway bulkhead directly behind you would certainly provide some noise buffer from that direction plus provide some slight extra storage space for your bag. That sounds like a plan. I will have to check this out for myself and let you know my findings when I return from my trip in early November.Appreciate the reply and the insight.
No, only the seats behind the stairway, as in facing the stairway. There aren't any trays or people ahead of you, so it feels like there's more space. The seats in front of the stairway would have storage behind them, yes, but no additional room.

I have probably been lucky in boarding at the start of most routes, but found 90% was open seating, choose the seat for yourself.

There is a huge amount of legroom on Amtrak trains, I can't imagine it ever being an issue for most able bodied folk.

Ed :cool:

I've only ridden LD coach one time, Oct 2013. I boarded 51 in WIL, which is the 3rd or 4th?? stop. I was only told which car to go in. There were not a lot of people in my car. By the time we got to CVS they were assigning seats. I did not get a seat mate till after IND, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back