F40/NPCU #406

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess they pulled it at the last minute (happens often). It was showing in Arrow early this morning.

Correct the body is empty except for a 480 Hep unit for Exibition train.
But with CAB CONTROLS operational, yes?
From the 40th Anniversity website:

NPCU 406

NPCU 406, built for Amtrak in July 1988 by EMD as a 3,000 horse power F40PH locomotive number #406, was rebuilt as Non Powered Control Unit #406 in 2011 at the Beech Grove, Ind., maintenance facility. As a locomotive, the 406 operated all over the country on various routes before being stored in 2001. It was slated to become an NPCU to augment the push-pull fleet, and chosen to be part of the Exhibit Train because it can control a locomotive without the expense of additional fuel, allowing a train to operate in either direction without turning around. It will also provide Head End Power (HEP) to power the lights and HVAC systems onboard the train.

I never really understood why they didn't put HEP packages in all of the Cabbages, it takes so much drag off of the motor when it's not providing hotel power to the train. But especially with this train since it's going to sit for days at the station it make NO sense to have a 16 cylinder engine running constantly at 720 RPM for a small train.

Certainly!

Thanks for posting the video, looked great! I'm jealous that you (I assume) live near BG and get to see the crazy trains that Amtrak uses to shuttle equipment back and forth...

SO what/where was the #406 at before the rebuild in 2011? i'm lost... What happened to it?

SO what/where was the #406 at before the rebuild in 2011? i'm lost... What happened to it?
#406 was an F40PH. It was put in to Storage in Bear, DE. Taken off the active roster. It was in service for a good 15-20 years. It was originally in the Phase III which is the paint it's in now and then Phase IV IIRC which is similar to the current paint scheme. Who knows what will happen to it once it's done it's run on the Anniversary Train. Maybe a CabCar on MidWest Trains. Who knows. 822 will go into service on Trains throughout the nation.

Amtrak 406 is sitting at the Amtrak depot in Spokane, WA scheduled to operate on a AARPCO charter train on thursday May 31st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back