Family Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at AGR reservation for a return trip home, SEA-LAX (Coast Starlight)-ABQ (Southwest). Unfortunately, AGR can't use that trip due to overnight stay in LAX. Only and complicated way is from SEA to SAC (Sacramento) on Coast Starlight, SAC to SKN (Stockton) on Ambus, SKN to BFD (Bakersfield) on San Joaquin, BFD to LAX on Ambus, and finally, LAX to ABQ on Southwest Chief. Advantage- you'll earn more points due to Ambus routes. Disadvantages- connection at SAC is uncomfortable. If you miss it, it throws everything off. And also missing the ocean view for not taking Coast Starlight to LAX.

So, I'll be using one route as an AGR reward and other route to pay with AGR credit card. I could book for 35,000 points on AGR, but I'm willing to take an advantage of AGR fall promotion. On Southwest Chief, the family room is cheaper than roomette, a little over $100 saving. Is it worthwhile to use family bedroom for a single traveler even though I've used Southwest Chief several times?

I was looking at AGR reservation for a return trip home, SEA-LAX (Coast Starlight)-ABQ (Southwest). Unfortunately, AGR can't use that trip due to overnight stay in LAX. Only and complicated way is from SEA to SAC (Sacramento) on Coast Starlight, SAC to SKN (Stockton) on Ambus, SKN to BFD (Bakersfield) on San Joaquin, BFD to LAX on Ambus, and finally, LAX to ABQ on Southwest Chief. Advantage- you'll earn more points due to Ambus routes. Disadvantages- connection at SAC is uncomfortable. If you miss it, it throws everything off. And also missing the ocean view for not taking Coast Starlight to LAX.

So, I'll be using one route as an AGR reward and other route to pay with AGR credit card. I could book for 35,000 points on AGR, but I'm willing to take an advantage of AGR fall promotion. On Southwest Chief, the family room is cheaper than roomette, a little over $100 saving. Is it worthwhile to use family bedroom for a single traveler even though I've used Southwest Chief several times?
If you can save $100 by taking a larger/more comfortable room over a roomette there shouldnt be any hesitation! Book it Danno!!! :excl: :excl: :excl:

What he said.

book_it.gif

I'm having trouble understanding why this is even a question to begin with...? Are you worried that

Amtrak will frown on booking a family bedroom to a solo traveler?

I was looking at AGR reservation for a return trip home, SEA-LAX (Coast Starlight)-ABQ (Southwest). Unfortunately, AGR can't use that trip due to overnight stay in LAX. O

There has been much discussion of this overnite rule. I would call back & ask for a supervisor. Amtrak AGR Agents, as well as members here at AU, have said that if you pay your own hotel expense & your overnite connection is less than 24 hrs., they will allow it!

I'm having trouble understanding why this is even a question to begin with...? Are you worried that Amtrak will frown on booking a family bedroom to a solo traveler?
I think it's pretty obvious that Amtrak doesn't care one wit if they're only getting one coach fare out of room that can hold three. Just like it's pretty clear their booking system can't figure out that pricing a bedroom below a roomette makes absolutely no sense. God forbid you try to book a trip on the Auto-Train without a vehicle though. You can even offer to pay the maximum rate that a vehicle would cost you but Amtrak still won't go for it. :rolleyes:

I did called AGR customer service if there's a way with overnight stay. Unfortunately, it's not there. She said that it is less than 24 hours layover which is good. However, there is alternative option- San Joaquin, so it was busted. So I booked the first trip on AGR and the second one with family bedroom on my dime, I mean, dollars.

Thanks for your advices.

God forbid you try to book a trip on the Auto-Train without a vehicle though. You can even offer to pay the maximum rate that a vehicle would cost you but Amtrak still won't go for it. :rolleyes:
Actually, if you went online and booked the AT and paid for a car, there is no way that Amtrak would know that you didn't actually show up with a car. They don't match cars to rooms & seats as you checkin.

Of course getting to/from the AT's terminals without a car isn't very easy, especially on the Florida end of things.

Actually, if you went online and booked the AT and paid for a car, there is no way that Amtrak would know that you didn't actually show up with a car. They don't match cars to rooms & seats as you checkin. Of course getting to/from the AT's terminals without a car isn't very easy, especially on the Florida end of things.
Well that changes things considerably!

If you pick an imaginary motorcycle you can do a one-way for around $200 in coach or $400 in a roomette. Or pick a car for a little more and split the cost with a few other folks. Not bad for members who want to complete the full network.

I think it's pretty obvious that Amtrak doesn't care one wit if they're only getting one coach fare out of room that can hold three.
The Family Room has 4 beds, 2 "adult sized" and 2 "kid sized" (4'9" or less long).

I've taken the F-Room once. It was the last room on the train available - of course it was high bucket but I used AGR points so I didn't care!
laugh.gif
I try to not take the F or H rooms if not needed, but I see no problem at the last moment. But in this case, I also don't see a problem. It does not seem to be wanted by any families!

FAMILY ROOM ADVANTAGE: I have used this room solo and on trips with one other passenger (sometimes wife, sometimes son). The big advantage is it is really wide, goes the whole width of the car so you can see out both sides of the train.

God forbid you try to book a trip on the Auto-Train without a vehicle though. You can even offer to pay the maximum rate that a vehicle would cost you but Amtrak still won't go for it. :rolleyes:
Are you really saying that if you booked space, and the car got "stolen" just before departure time, Amtrak wouldn't let you ride. I'll admit that the booking system - computer + personnel - seems down right goofy at times. But most of the operating personnel seem to have more sense.

I would think that of your car was indeed stolen, a trip on the AT would be the least of your worries. Besides how would you get to/from the terminals?
huh.gif
And if you did go, I think you would tale a "regular" train to (say) ORL - where you could rent a car at the station!
rolleyes.gif
AT stations do not have rental car facilities - since you have your own vehicle!

The Family Room has 4 beds, 2 "adult sized" and 2 "kid sized" (4'9" or less long).
Right you are! You'd think I'd have realized my mistake since it's the name of the thread and I've traveled in a family room myself, but not this time.

I try to not take the F or H rooms if not needed, but I see no problem at the last moment. But in this case, I also don't see a problem. It does not seem to be wanted by any families!
If the family room is the same price or a little cheaper I'll still let it be and go for the roomette if I'm traveling alone. Better to leave it for a family so that another generation of kids can become the train fans of tomorrow. ^_^

Edited to respond to Paul...

Are you really saying that if you booked space, and the car got "stolen" just before departure time, Amtrak wouldn't let you ride. I'll admit that the booking system - computer + personnel - seems down right goofy at times. But most of the operating personnel seem to have more sense.
I don't have any direct experience with the Auto Train boarding process, but I did ask a reservation agent if it was true that you could not buy a ticket on the Auto Train without a vehicle to transport and she replied in the affirmative. Offering to pay for an imaginary vehicle did not change her answer. Apparently imaginary (but revenue earning) vehicles don't count. Same answer for actual bicycles. I'm not exactly fascinated with the Auto Train but the unique qualities and restrictions on its use are a bit of an interesting anomaly to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
FAMILY ROOM ADVANTAGE: I have used this room solo and on trips with one other passenger (sometimes wife, sometimes son). The big advantage is it is really wide, goes the whole width of the car so you can see out both sides of the train.
Do the smaller size and positioning of the windows in the F room reduce the sightseeing experience? I find the window of a Roomette to be the perfect height and size for a wonderful view.

(Having said that, there isn't too much to see on the AT route, so I'd go for the F room in this case.)

I didn't find any problem with the window size or location for viewing. But also remember that's it's on the lower level, not the upper level - so the view is different (can't see over the trees, buildings, rail care, etc...)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back