Family Car vs. Roomette Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just booked NOL - EMY on SL and CS. On the NOL - LAX leg, I am in "1 Family Car 130 - Room 15." The LAX - EMY leg is in "1 Roomette Car 1430 - Room 3." What is the "Family Car," and is Room 15 on the upper level? I fear from the description it might be the family/ADA room on the lower level. I have searched some online car diagrams to no avail. (And if it is the lower level family room, I wonder why they would assign it to a regular passenger so early before my departure date of April 27?) Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide.

Those are strange descriptions. Roomette 3 is on the upper level on all cars. Roomette 15 seems to be reserved for crew on a transition sleeper and is also upper level. I don't think family and ADA rooms have numbers or letters. Bedrooms have letters.

REVISION: I learned something new that the family bedroom is numbered 15. The terms family car and roomette car are still strange.

Last edited:
Those are strange descriptions. Roomette 3 is on the upper level on all cars. Roomette 15 seems to be reserved for crew on a transition sleeper and is also upper level. I don't think family and ADA rooms have numbers or letters. Bedrooms have letters.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad I'm in a roomette on the upper level. I rode in one on the CZ transition sleeper 11 years ago, and it wasn't all that bad.

Room 15 is the family bedroom. I had it booked for 2020 travel, but had cancelled it. My ticket says

1 Family Bedroom | Car 0130 - Room 015

I'm thinking that the Family Bedroom was cheaper than the roomettes on the SL when you booked, so you inadvertently booked it as it would have been the one showing when you did you search.

I just booked NOL - EMY on SL and CS. On the NOL - LAX leg, I am in "1 Family Car 130 - Room 15." The LAX - EMY leg is in "1 Roomette Car 1430 - Room 3." What is the "Family Car," and is Room 15 on the upper level? I fear from the description it might be the family/ADA room on the lower level. I have searched some online car diagrams to no avail. (And if it is the lower level family room, I wonder why they would assign it to a regular passenger so early before my departure date of April 27?) Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide.
The Family Bedroom & the Accessible Bedroom are 2 different things. Both are on the lower level, at opposite ends of the corridor.

The Accessible Bedroom spans the full width of the car, with upper & lower bunks on one side, and an unenclosed toilet & sink on the other. It's beyond and adjacent to the lower-level bathrooms. It can only be reserved by handicap fares until 2 weeks before departure.

The Family Bedroom also spans the entire width, but has no toilet or sink facilities. It has 4 bunks: a regular size upper & lower, and a child-sized upper & lower. It's on the lower-level Roomettes end of the car. It can be reserved by anyone.

The Family Bedroom & the Accessible Bedroom are 2 different things. Both are on the lower level, at opposite ends of the corridor.

The Accessible Bedroom spans the full width of the car, with upper & lower bunks on one side, and an unenclosed toilet & sink on the other. It's beyond and adjacent to the lower-level bathrooms. It can only be reserved by handicap fares until 2 weeks before departure.

The Family Bedroom also spans the entire width, but has no toilet or sink facilities. It has 4 bunks: a regular size upper & lower, and a child-sized upper & lower. It's on the lower-level Roomettes end of the car. It can be reserved by anyone.

Called AGR hotline and got a rapid response. The Family Bedroom is the one joelaflk describes. AGR said that's what I chose when booking online. Not possible. The only option shown was for a roomette. The system must have automatically assigned the family bedroom. The roomette costs $13 more, but I made the change. I think from now on I'll book with AGR by phone so I can explain precisely what I want. Anyway, I'm happy now.

...Not possible. The only option shown was for a roomette. The system must have automatically assigned the family bedroom. The roomette costs $13 more, but I made the change...
That does make it sound like the website probably did put the Family Room where the Roomette would normally go (since it was cheaper) as per @AmtrakBlue. Either way the difference in price was minimal and it sounds like you're happy with the final result. I do agree that calling should avoid this issue in the future but I probably would have kept the Family Room at that price. 🤔

On the app for your day of travel the family bedroom comes up first because it’s less expensive than the roomettes.
I know on the website it can be confusing if you don’t notice the tabs above the shown selection.
53EC2D1B-F4B4-4EDE-B25A-7CB1F51C692A.png

Just to add my opinion, having a window on both sides of the Family Bedroom accommodation and the train is a very positive feature--not available on most Amtrak sleeping car spaces. Even through it is on the Superliner lower level, the two windows are a plus. My memory has failed me since I travel mostly eastern single level sleepers, does the Superliner Accessible Bedroom have the two windows??

I think the rather flat scenic terrain of the Sunset Limited route would be quite well visible from the lower level windows? Ability to see out of both sides of the train from the room would be a big bonus in my book.

I think the rather flat scenic terrain of the Sunset Limited route would be quite well visible from the lower level windows? Ability to see out of both sides of the train from the room would be a big bonus in my book.
Additionally, those windows being at ground level can be easily cleaned at stops. The flip side of the coin is, being closer to ground they get dirtier faster. So it all balances out I suppose. I have traveled in the Family Room on the Sunset limited, and did enjoy the ability to view both sides, and to clean the windows at stops.

I like the Family Bedroom, and prefer it over a Roomette (although the best for me is a Bedroom). The Family Room is very spacious, with a lower berth a full foot wider than the lower in a Roomette, and with plenty of space to maneuver even when the bed is down. I also like the downstairs location, not only to clean the windows, but also for its close proximity to three toilets, the shower, the luggage rack, and the door to step off at fresh air stops. And it has a swinging door that can be latched shut when you leave the room!

Back