Fares fair?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

neroden

Engineer
Back when they first started including food in the ticket price, I thought it was a horrible idea, but I was told that without doing so there would not be any Diner service. Well apparently even after doing so there is only very marginal Diner service, and additionally all additional revenue from Coach passengers have been dropped completely. Go figure!

Maybe it is time to decouple food from the fare and charge for food commensurate with the quality of service provided in the Diner. Those that do not wish to partake in the luxury of Diner can fend for themselves for food from the Cafe at Cafe prices as was the way before this complication was added.
I suppose I should repeat my complaint about the degradation of the cafe menu in the 2018-2019 timeframe. It was rather good for a few years before that.

neroden

Engineer
The win win solution here is to increase the supply to more closely meet demand. That would result in lower sleeper fares while increasing revenue. While acquiring sleeping cars incur a high capital costs, those costs ought to amortized over the life of the cars, which can be measured in decades. There are higher incremental costs to running additional cars, but the additional revenue also helps cover a greater portion of high fixed costs.
Indeed -- order more sleepers! Lots more!

AMTRAK709

Train Attendant
As a follow up to my previous post I guess I should feel fortunate (but for some reason I don't) to have booked a roomette on the Crescent ATN-NYP-ATN on 06/10/2021 for $392.00 each way (senior fare + roomette). Today my trip on the same train same departure date is $1142 one way (now I will admit that is for an accessible bedroom). Admittedly, I would love to have that accessible bedroom (it is a great accommodation), but for $1142 one way--I think NOT.