Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't like it? Petition Congress to change it, or to massively increase funding to provide for more rolling stock. Increased supply would yield lower prices.

Would more rolling stock really lead to lower prices? Currently there are plenty of idle Superliner sleepers sitting around due to tri-weekly service, yet Amtrak seems to be reluctant to lengthen trains. I nixed a trip this month on the SWC due to sold out conditions on the days I needed to travel.

It is pretty unusual to get lounge access for standard Domestic First Class in the US. Lounge Access is normally though Club membership for US domestic First Class. YYZ to LAX is not exactly domestic unless Canada has finally seen the light of the day and joined the United States 😬
That's true of course. I think Alaska is the only exception remaining. However, in my example UA and AC and sometimes DL do give access; AA does not. Pre-pandemic I flew frequently between YYZ and IAD, always with lounge access.

I have noticed this trend as well. Airlines seem to have decided that they would rather sell first class seats than award them as upgrades.
Could only apply one reaction - Like because you're right; Sad because it's true. Upgrades were getting pretty lean even in 2019. Ironically my now cancelled and refunded trip on AA last summer had mostly cleared.

This goes back to the language in the legal authorization for Amtrak that's been posted in one of these million threads bitching about the same thing. Key words are "managed as a for profit corporation".

Don't like it? Petition Congress to change it, or to massively increase funding to provide for more rolling stock. Increased supply would yield lower prices.
I have been riding Amtrak for Fifty years. I have traveled on Amtrak all over the country for business and pleasure. I have ridden during lean times and not so lean times. I have the right to voice my opinion. Petitioning Congress is a waste of time. I have traveled to Florida every year on Amtrak for the last 10 years. $778-$1000 one-way for two in a roomette with a reduced diner menu is just too much for me. I don't see the value. Maybe others will pay it just not me. And if this pricing along with the reduced diner service continues, I won't support Amtrak anymore. If Amtrak can get by without my patronage, then so be it. However, I don’t think I am alone.

That's true of course. I think Alaska is the only exception remaining. However, in my example UA and AC and sometimes DL do give access; AA does not. Pre-pandemic I flew frequently between YYZ and IAD, always with lounge access.
I would expect to get Lounge access when traveling between Canada and the US since it is an international flight, though some airlines explicitly exclude Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean, none of which are really Domestic. Of course, I have to go looking for this info since I have Lounge Access through other means irrespective of the class I am flying, on airlines that I fly frequently.

Whether a complementary upgrade will clear or not also depends on frequent flier status. At 1K on United it clears almost all the time.

Would more rolling stock really lead to lower prices? Currently there are plenty of idle Superliner sleepers sitting around due to tri-weekly service, yet Amtrak seems to be reluctant to lengthen trains. I nixed a trip this month on the SWC due to sold out conditions on the days I needed to travel.

The tai-weekly service was due to cratering ridership, and thus no revenue coming in. Without revenue, you can't pay employees, and without employees, you can't run extra cars. Now that demand is recovering, revenue is increasing, and service levels are increasing. With pent up demand driving more people to be interested in being out, I would expect to see high prices and full trains be the norm for some time.

I have the right to voice my opinion. Petitioning Congress is a waste of time.

And complaining about it on a web forum is even a bigger waste of time. At least Congress can actually do something to solve the problem, unlike anyone here.

If Amtrak can get by without my patronage, then so be it.
I'm sure they're crying themselves to sleep at night regretting leaving money on the table by not selling you a room for cheaper than the market will bear.

They're putting the Eagle back into the Orphan Train Catagory that they share with the CONO and the Cardinal!

I dont like saying it, but I wont be riding the Eagle LD anymore( the Coach Fares for Day tripsare still not bad, but for the same Price to Chicago in Coach I can Fly on SWA) unless the Sightseer Lounge is brought back and Reasonsble/Affordable Prices for the Rooms are returned to this Route!🤢😥
You may be right. It's a one night train
I can see flex dining continuing and,of course the lack of a SSL car. Only overnight train with a SSL car is the CS and hopefully traditional dining makes it's return on July 1,but with the date pushed back four times,I have my doubts.

I paid quite a bit for my roundtrip from ORL to NYP in a bedroom last week. I looked at the fares for a few weeks and chose the days that had the best fares. I wanted a bedroom in a new car (of which supply is very limited). I know I paid more than I would have paid a few years ago, but I wanted to travel in a bedroom in a new car and see the new station. So be it.

The tai-weekly service was due to cratering ridership, and thus no revenue coming in. Without revenue, you can't pay employees, and without employees, you can't run extra cars. Now that demand is recovering, revenue is increasing, and service levels are increasing. With pent up demand driving more people to be interested in being out, I would expect to see high prices and full trains be the norm for some time.

And complaining about it on a web forum is even a bigger waste of time. At least Congress can actually do something to solve the problem, unlike anyone here.

I'm sure they're crying themselves to sleep at night regretting leaving money on the table by not selling you a room for cheaper than the market will bear.
So what Amtrak trips are you taking in the future and how much are you spending?

First Class airfare is a relative bargain compared to just a few years ago - not that you get much for it currently, with lounges closed or lacking services and minimal on-board amenities.
Other than a 50/50 PDB or a random snack plate my usual flights seem to be back to pre-pandemic service levels.

Like because you're right; Sad because it's true. Upgrades were getting pretty lean even in 2019. Ironically my now cancelled and refunded trip on AA last summer had mostly cleared.
After getting bumped into coach on a revenue ticket (thanks to a cancelled flight) it occurred to me that shrinking cabins and increasing status rosters are also part of the equation.

I would expect to get Lounge access when traveling between Canada and the US since it is an international flight, though some airlines explicitly exclude Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean, none of which are really Domestic.
Where I live domestic non-stops run twice the duration of our longest international flight.

Last edited:
I, too, have been an intense railfan all my 73 years of life. Really fell in love with the trains and especially the sleepers while in college in Virginia in the mid 1960's I have supported Amtrak since its inception and have to date travelled about 300,000 miles on the rails. For the last twenty years, my regular most used route has been the Crescent ATN-WAS or NYP and return. A fare, one-way, ATN-NYP @ $971 in a bedroom has clearly caught my attention. I just can NOT justify the expense. I have really tried to be loyal and recommend Amtrak to my co-workers. They--whoever they are?--are making it impossible. Just checked my favorite route CHI-SEA-CHI and a bedroom @ $2000??!!?? I acknowledge the supply and demand issue--but still. I am sad about it.

I have been a loyal Amtrak rider for over thirty years and each year I have taken circle trips,never paying more than low bucket for a roomette. I ll be catching the LS in Buffalo around Midnight and taking the Texas Eagle to LA Friday. Thankfully,I booked before the recent price hikes. I am another one who can't justify the roomette prices now. I look ahead to April and a roomette from Chi to LA is over $1000. Insane. Obviously the rooms are selling,but if the lowest Southwest Chief fare from Chi-Lax is $899 or more I just won't go and I have been a huge Amtrak supporter always telling people how great traveling by train is. These days with the outrageous pricing,I am less inclined to promote train travel. We have reached a breaking point where the train experience is not worth the price.

simply put when the SW Chief was $623 it was worth it. Not at $899

A fare, one-way, ATN-NYP @ $971 in a bedroom has clearly caught my attention. I just can NOT justify the expense.
If you sniff around long enough, you might stumble across a low bucket Bedroom for one senior twixt ATL and NYP for $610.20. High bucket would be <gasp> $1127.20!

As I said in a recent thread, I recently booked Everett to New York in a roomette single occupancy for $809.40 (with senior discount, would have been $840 without it). According to Niemi24's charts, that's low bucket.

The three day a week thing has clearly skewed fares towards high buckets on the those days, as they were the only bookable days until fairly recently. Things are warped right now.

I never have and will not now pay high bucket fares. High buckets have always been outrageous. I will either not travel or take an alternative (fly or drive) if I can't find an alternative day with a lower bucket.

So yes, I will not take Amtrak at those fares. But I still take Amtrak. Most of the time I can find a fare I can live with.

I too have enjoyed many Amtrak miles, especially enjoyable when I got almost $2 to my £1. :D
We are all fed up with the Covid worries, and sad to find that rail fares are now much higher.
Maybe we should calm down and wait for a little longer, I feel that when things get more back to normal, maybe the train fares will reduce again?
(I know the next "normal" may not be the same as our past situations, but we have to hope for improvements...)

It is pretty unusual to get lounge access for standard Domestic First Class in the US. Lounge Access is normally though Club membership for US domestic First Class. YYZ to LAX is not exactly domestic unless Canada has finally seen the light of the day and joined the United States 😬
You get lounge access on a paid Domestic First Class ticket or a frequent flyer award on Alaska, even in a discount fare class (P for discount First Class, IIRC).

You don't get lounge access on a First Class upgrade.

For example,the cheapest one.person roomette is $691 from Chicago to Albuquerque on the Southwest Chief. One overnight,three meals. A little excessive? As a 30 year plus Amtrak rider I have never seen prices this steep. Sadly,people would pay this price so Amtrak will charge it.

Knock off $300 and we'll talk

No need to "talk", when they can sell all they offer at $691

I know they can sell a rommette for almost $700 for a one night trip. I would never pay it,so I wouldn't go.

One would think people on a supposed pro-passenger rail website would be HAPPY that Amtrak can find people willing to buy its product for such high fares. Doesn't that mean they are doing something right?

One would think, but that only works up until the point that you take their nice things away. Then it's a case of the sky falling.

I know they can sell a rommette for almost $700 for a one night trip. I would never pay it,so I wouldn't go.
Thanks for clearing that up. I was confused and unsure of what your position was. Maybe consider repeating it a few more times, even.

We know Amtrak is holding back roomettes on the TE (not selling them in one sleeper) for whatever crazy reason. They literally just sell the bedrooms in that car.

Anecdotally I’ve heard from friends that work for Amtrak the trains may not be a busy as we are being lead to believe especially in the case of bedrooms. Either way none of this makes sense.

Anderson and Gardner lied to Congress about long distance numbers in their push to break up the SWC in 2018. While I would like to believe Amtrak is playing above board I don’t think we can just accept their word. There’s never been a more appropriate time for an unbiased auditor to take a deep dive in Amtrak’s books and see what’s really going on. Especially with a possible windfall from the infrastructure bill coming.

Food for thought if they really are getting these insane fares with no amenities and little labor why do they hate the network trains so much? These fares indicate the network is the crown jewel of Amtrak. Somehow I don’t think managements numbers will show that next time financial performance come out.

Last edited:
We know Amtrak is holding back roomettes on the TE (not selling them in one sleeper) for whatever crazy reason. They literally just sell the bedrooms in that car.

Anecdotally I’ve heard from friends that work for Amtrak the trains may not be a busy as we are being lead to believe especially in the case of bedrooms. Either way none of this makes sense.

It’s a fact Anderson and Gardner lied to Congress about long distance numbers in their push to break up the SWC in 2018. While I would like to believe Amtrak is playing above board I don’t think we can just accept their word. There’s never been a more appropriate time for an unbiased auditor to take a deep dive in Amtrak’s books and see what’s really going on.

Food for thought if they really are getting these insane fares with no amenities and little labor why do they hate the network trains so much? These fares indicate the network is the crown jewel of Amtrak. Somehow I don’t think managements numbers will show that next time financial performance come out.
Yes I am sure everything is just a big conspiracy. It probably all fits into QAnon somehow.

Back