Farewell AEM7 Farewell Trip (June 2016)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol is this thing ever going to sell out?
1) It's just the NEC.

2) More people want to photograph it from different locations than to ride behind it. Though the shop tour should be helping sell tickets.

3) It ain't cheap and you have to add in the cost of getting to/from WAS (and maybe an overnight in a hotel).

Not surprised it didn't sell out as quickly as the Autumn Express.

If I had the money (currently unemployed), I'd consider it. A train "fix" and meet up with some people I know who are taking it.

1) It's just the NEC.

2) More people want to photograph it from different locations than to ride behind it. Though the shop tour should be helping sell tickets.

3) It ain't cheap and you have to add in the cost of getting to/from WAS (and maybe an overnight in a hotel).

If I had the money (currently unemployed), I'd consider it. A train "fix" and meet up with some people I know who are taking it.
#3 Is how I'm looking at it..

Not to mention I'm pretty sure a lady in my life would have my head if I spent such money.. :eek:

1) It's just the NEC.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure a lady in my life would have my head if I spent such money.. :eek:
You think Cassie would to that? ;) **hoping I remembered one of the girls names correctly**

1) It's just the NEC.

You think Cassie would to that? ;) **hoping I remembered one of the girls names correctly**
Cassidy or Kelli, no.. Sam.. Yeah!

The Autumn Express draws both rail fans and "leaf-peeper's"...this train is pretty much only attractive to rail fans. Since there isn't any "new" mileage for me, I'm going to pass on it, and wait for the fall excursion.

The AEM7 is too recently common as an attraction unto itself.

Now find a GG-1, and I'll be there...

The timing kills it for me, since I just finished a transcontinental trip on fairly short notice, and I'm travelling again in August. No way can I do anything in June.

Wouldn't need to completely sell out to be a success, though. Does anyone know what the current load % is?

Happy to report that as of last night, the excursion is sold out!
13350321_1194187453966537_2233911007501367427_o.jpg

Much to my shock, my wife agreed that I could take this excursion. So, I have a ticket! Are there any other AU members going?
My guess is that there will be a few (at least) AU members going. I plan to be there.

Did everyone get their shirts and bags? Wear 'em if you got 'em!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of us who ordered bags are still waiting...the bags apparently were delayed. Mine (shirt & bag) shipped out on Thursday and I should have it by end of day Tuesday.

Now, what should I load up in my bag to throw at the train as it zips past me take with me to whichever station I decide to go watch. :p

I plan on traveling from Louisiana to ride the AEM-7 excursion trip. I hope we make it back to DC on time because I'm heading south for a business engagement on the Meteor that same evening.

Much to my shock, my wife agreed that I could take this excursion. So, I have a ticket! Are there any other AU members going?
I'm sure there will be several AU foamers on the trip! Did you ask the boss if she wanted to go?
I did ask her and she did not want to go. She said that she likes riding the train, but only to real destinations.

I plan on traveling from Louisiana to ride the AEM-7 excursion trip. I hope we make it back to DC on time because I'm heading south for a business engagement on the Meteor that same evening.
There are a few people coming from overseas to ride this train. After all these years of taken them for granted, the Amtrak and MARC AEM-7s will bow out this weekend.

I believe MARC may lease a few Sprinters to tide them over until the new diesels are online.

I'm sure there will be several AU foamers on the trip! Did you ask the boss if she wanted to go?
I did ask her and she did not want to go. She said that she likes riding the train, but only to real destinations.
Tell her Halethorpe is a real destination! ^_^

My first post. I will be among the crowd on Saturday morning. This is my first train trip this year and this looked like a good one. Unexpected and different from Amtrak.

How will i recognize other AU members? I live in DC so getting to and from Union Station is not a problem.

I'd like to meet with members who are coming for the ride.

My T-shirt and two bags arrived Tuesday the 14th.

Looking forward to Saturday. :)

I will try to find an old AU Gathering name tag and wear it if that helps. :)
Maybe Eric could put together a PDF of last years and send to you guys. I should have the file from 2013, but it's most likely on my old netbook which I still need to get stuff off of. :)

I would have been there but I've been on the road so often recently with two steam engines. I just wanted to enjoy a weekend at home for a change. Take pictures for me

Back