Favorite Sleeper car room?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbyrdleroydogg

Train Attendant
What is your go-to room when you're in Amtrak sleeper bedrooms and Roomettes? On the Viewliner, mine is the 1st or 2nd rooms. On the superliner, it's lower level room #12. What are yours?

Superliner bedroom E; Viewliner2 bedroom B; viewliner1 roomette 1, 3 or 5

For both flights and rail travel, I have started to pay attention to the location of the sun, especially when it is low in the winter. This started because I had a flight attendant tell me that I needed to keep my shade down on a flight because the sun was shining in the window. I now book on whichever side the sun won't be shining directly into.

That said, my favorite roomette on a Viewliner is #1. This is because you can get a glimpse out of the other side because of the window in the corridor that is in front of roomette #2. My favorite bedroom is B, but this is only because it is the one that usually has the couch facing forward - at least on the routes that I tend to ride. I wouldn't have a preference otherwise.

I'm not fussy when it comes to Superliners. If traveling solo, I don't mind bedroom A because there is no door connecting it with another room. But it's not a strong preference.

A Superliner Roomette, on a train headed west and a Mitch Rapp novel and I’m good. Sprawled out along side that big window watching the country go by in no hurry to get anywhere is my kind of vacation.

Pretty much any upper level roomette on the Portland sleeper at the rear of the Empire Bulilder or on the Texas Eagle thru sleeper at the rear of the Sunset. A bedroom ifI can afford it. On viewliners I have no preference except I enjoy a roomette in the Boston sleeper on the Lake Shore on those rare occasions when the Boston sleeper is located toward the rear in with the New York sleepers (as it should be.)

For both flights and rail travel, I have started to pay attention to the location of the sun, especially when it is low in the winter. This started because I had a flight attendant tell me that I needed to keep my shade down on a flight because the sun was shining in the window. I now book on whichever side the sun won't be shining directly into.

That said, my favorite roomette on a Viewliner is #1. This is because you can get a glimpse out of the other side because of the window in the corridor that is in front of roomette #2. My favorite bedroom is B, but this is only because it is the one that usually has the couch facing forward - at least on the routes that I tend to ride. I wouldn't have a preference otherwise.

I'm not fussy when it comes to Superliners. If traveling solo, I don't mind bedroom A because there is no door connecting it with another room. But it's not a strong preference.
I woulda told the flight attendant to to stow in the overhead bin!

Mine would be #24 in the Transition/Dorm but usually not available. Haven't done a Viewliner yet. As for Superliner #3 or #4 to avoid the bathroom noise and door slamming and folks clunking up the stairs banging into the wall. Downstairs I like #13 specially if no noisey youngins' in the Family Bedroom.

I thought the sleeper attendant was in roomette 1. I seem to recall seeing a uniformed person in that roomette the last 1 or 2 times I took the train. It was a Superliner. Can someone please edify me?
I've seen them in #1, #10, #14 and none in my car but she was covering two Sleepers and I guessed camped out in the other.

I like either 5 or 6 in a Super liner. Right in the middle of car on the upper level.

My thanks to the knowledgeable member who pointed out and alerted me to the difference in the configuration of the "H" bedroom in Viewliner 1 and the new Viewliner II sleepers. I travel about every month on The Crescent and upgrade frequently when available to the "H" bedroom (still operating with Viewline I. I realize that the accessible bedrooms were not designed to accommodate non-ADA passengers like me. Certainly I respect the need for ADA compliance. But, having said that, the totally enclosed bathroom of the "H" on Viewliner 1 is, to me, an asset and a likeable feature. To have the toilet visible and assessible in the room itself IS NOT--just in my opinion.

I haven't been in a Viewliner Bedroom, but like Roomettes 1 or 2 in a Viewliner because there is an extra separation between them and the adjoining Roomettes (there's a mechanical or HVAC compartment).

On Superliners, a Bedroom Suite--with D & E being the first choice--is the finest way to travel the rails! But Suites are prohibitively expensive for me. For single Bedrooms, I like E if I am traveling with someone and A if I am by myself. My next choice is the Family Bedroom--I like the downstairs location for a room using the shared bathrooms, and for its proximity to the exterior door and luggage rack. It's a very spacious room, and the windows on both sides--although small--give a more balanced perspective on the scenery. If I'm in a Superliner Roomette, my favorite is 11.

I have a fantasy idea for an ultra-deluxe Bedroom downstairs on a Superliner in the space occupied now by the Family Bedroom and four Roomettes--all that space for one huge room. It would have a bathroom in the space where the luggage rack is now, and the luggage rack would move to the space now occupied by one of the downstairs bathrooms--with five fewer rooms using the bathrooms, one fewer bathroom is necessary. I haven't figured out the floor plan, but I would include a king-size bed--a feature that is globally lacking in public rail accommodations.

Last edited:
I have a trip scheduled on the Capitol Limited, DC to Chicago. I am in roomette #14. Can anyone tell me if this is an OK room assignment? My previous trips on this route have been on the Cardinal and I know this will be a different type of car.
Thank you!

I have a trip scheduled on the Capitol Limited, DC to Chicago. I am in roomette #14. Can anyone tell me if this is an OK room assignment? My previous trips on this route have been on the Cardinal and I know this will be a different type of car.
Thank you!
14 is downstairs. Some people like downstairs (less aisle traffic, close to bathrooms and shower) some do not (view not as good, have to go upstairs to get to diner) some don't care. All depends on your preferences.

Usually it's not a car's room #, but how far you are from the dining car. Car #5 is a long walk on a bouncing train.
Fortunately, (or unfortunately) not too many trains have a Sleeping Car #5 anymore these days. Mostly it is one or two cars, maybe three on a few occasions. Once Super Star is gone come September only train with that many Sleepers will be the Auto Train.

But it is true that the car number will give a hint on how far the Diner is, if you know the composition of the train. For example the Boston Sleeper on the LSL, even though a single car, is far distant from the Diner in the combined train west of Albany.

Last edited:
Back