Favorite Train/Transportation Movies

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, she hadn't transformed yet (thank God, as the curse that is the movie's title, had them change not to house cats but panthers! The other passengers would have been mortally wounded). Also, I looked at the scene a 2nd time and it is indeed New Orleans, the Astro Dome that was infamously damaged during Hurricane Katrina is apparently nearby, the terminal in its shadow.
I think you mean the SuperDome in New Orleans! The soon to be Gone Astro Dome("The Eighth Wonder of the World!" is in Houston! ;)

Well, she hadn't transformed yet (thank God, as the curse that is the movie's title, had them change not to house cats but panthers! The other passengers would have been mortally wounded).
Nah, just pacify the panther with some of the emergency Dinty Moore beef stew.

(I actually have seen the movie we're discussing, but it's been many years.)

Two interesting sci-fi depictions:
(1) In the two Hunger Games movies, the train really feels like somebody just pulled a bunch of Budd equipment off the shelf and rebuilt it. The tail-end lounges felt a lot like something between the Park Car on the Canadian and the Milwaukee Road's rounded-end lounge cars from the Hiawathas. For me, probably the most awesome scene in the two movies was what looked like a depiction of the train running down the Bixby Bridge in California. just because, well...the scenery would certainly trump San Jose-Salinas!

(2) In Total Recall, there were two interesting depictions. One was shot on the Toronto subway (allegedly on an abandoned section of the London Underground); the other, more interesting (if totally implausible) one was of...basically, somebody managed to copy and paste New Jersey Transit onto a gravity elevator running through the Earth's core (what can I say, it's science fiction).

More Trains in TV/Film

American Horror Story: Coven- various scenes

Dark Knight- various Amtrak Midwest Horizon cars can be seen, one seen when an high ranking criminal's chauffeur is shot by Two-Face and crashes and flips the car

Head of State with Bernie Mac here with the slap scene with Amtrak Acela Capstone phase V paint scheme amfleet cars http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/850117/

Atlas Shrugged part 1- Tagney takes the train from New York to Philadelphia; however as this is a low budget film, the Northeast Corridor is not shown, instead a Metra train in the sunset is shown, as well as what appears to be an Amtrak Midwest type train (although in both cases the names are not shown but one can still identify them)

Oceans 12- Danny Ocean (George Clooney) can be seen walking in an Amtrak horizon car when trying to get home quickly at the beginning of the movie

Live and Die in LA- a lot of freight and passenger scenes before and during a long car chase scene, Amtrak P30CHs, F40s, Santa Fe switchers, Superliners, Cotton Belt, and more, as well as LA Union Station

Fast and Furious film series- although cars are the main stars, there are several train scenes in the movies

The Fast and the Furious (2001)- one of the last scenes in the movie features a race between Dom (Vin Diesel) and Brian (Paul Walker) and narrowly beat a train at the grade crossing. Also at last seen of movie when Brian is walking away, a Union Pacific coal train can be seen

Tokyo Drift (2006)- subway can be seen

Fast and Furious (2009) - double decker passenger train can be seen briefly when Dom and Brian are entering an impound lot, not sure whether it is Amtrak or Metrolink

Fast Five (2011)- Train Heist- several characters including Dom and Brian attempt to steal several cars in the baggage car; when the plan goes awry, they escape from the train. A CGI GE Genesis unit can be seen (pretty accurate although the sides are straighter at the top and engine is a bit longer than in real life). A real train was used although the extra cars toward the front were CGI (as well as the engine). The scene where the hijacking truck dove into the baggage car really happened and was not computer generated.

Fast and Furious 6- London Underground trains can be seen at times, lots of action in stations themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not saying it is a favorite, still it seems like a classic to me.

I also like the train scenes in [...] Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

"Owen: I'm to drive you to Wichita to catch a train?

Del: Yeah, we'd appreciate it.

Owen: Train don't run out of Wichita... unlessin' you're a hog or a cattle.

[Clears his throat]

Owen: People train runs out of Stubbville."

A classic. Wonderful midwest-based humor of John Hughes.

Would have wished for the likable Canadian John Candy that he could have stayed around longer...

Not saying it is a favorite, still it seems like a classic to me.

I also like the train scenes in [...] Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

"Owen: I'm to drive you to Wichita to catch a train?

Del: Yeah, we'd appreciate it.

Owen: Train don't run out of Wichita... unlessin' you're a hog or a cattle.

[Clears his throat]

Owen: People train runs out of Stubbville."

A classic. Wonderful midwest-based humor of John Hughes.

Would have wished for the likable Canadian John Candy that he could have stayed around longer...
And if Stubbville = Newton, so not entirely inaccurate.

Anyone seen Snowpiercer yet?
Just got back from seeing it. It's the story of a train that's been running through an intensely frozen landscape for so long that some people on the train can't even remember a time when they weren't on train -- so it's a lot like the Empire Builder in February.

Seriously, I do recommend it if you're looking for a summer action movie that's more imaginative than the usual fare.

I find Pushing Tin (1999) - IMDb quite interesting.
I lost interest right about here...

I went to see that movie in the theater when it came out, and about 45 minutes in, the projector broke. We were all issued vouchers to come

back and see it later but the voucher didn't specify that it had to be used for the same movie. Needless to say, I've never seen the second

half of Pushing Tin. ^_^

"Pushing Tin" was a great flick...I believe it has been broadcast on TV a few times. The scenes in the TRACON, where the "dueling controller's" were trying to upstage each other's abilities was terrific.

If you want to enjoy the thrill of a Jumbo buzzing your head, just head over to Maho Beach, St. Maarten......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maho_Beach

You can also Google that location for some good video's..... :)

The death of Gene Wilder led me to this topic as his performance in Silver Streak along side Richard Pryor was always a favorite of mine, and seeing as this thread was started with a comment about it, it only seemed right to remember it now that both men have left us. I know I'll be watching it tonight remembering a great actor.

Since this topic seems to have become active again, allow me to suggest all here check out the 1934 feature, "Twentieth Century", starring John Barrymore and Carole Lombard.

Barrymore is a Svengali-like Broadway producer, who makes Lombard his Trilby (and I'm not talking about the hipster hat :hi: ), raising her from unknown to star with one performance. A string of Broadway successes follow, with Lombard as the lead and Barrymore in control. Unable to tolerate Barrymore's smothering dominance over her any longer, Lombard leaves him for Hollywood. Her success continues; he falters.

After a particularly embarrassing flop, Barrymore has to elude bill collectors and the law in Chicago, slipping onto New York Central's famed Twentieth Century Limited, heading back to New York City, to find backers for yet another production. Getting on at the Englewood stop is Lombard. Barrymore knows if he can convince Lombard to sign a contract to star in his next production, he is all but guaranteed financial backers as well as long-elusive success. Barrymore spends the trip using every contrivance at his disposal to get that signature.

Believe it or not, it's a comedy, and an awfully good one at that. Directed by Howard Hawks. Also stars three of the better known character actors from the 1930s, Walter Connolly, Roscoe Karns, and Edgar Kennedy. It airs on TCM with some regularity. Catch it if you can.

One would think that this movie, given its title, would be a natural for Twentieth Century Pictures to produce and release. It was made by Columbia Pictures.

I have three movies where a train is central to the plot:

Breakheart Pass

Another of Alistar McLean's thriller/mysteries (Ice Station Zebra, Where Eagles Dare, etc) set in 19th century west: Most of the film takes place on the train starring Charles Bronson.

IMBD: When a military outpost is struck with a severe outbreak of diphtheria, the authorities send a train loaded with medical supplies and replacement soldiers. As the train is on its way however, a passenger is murdered. And then two passengers; then the entire human cargo of several cars. John Deakin, a man under arrest and being transported to custody, does some digging to find out the reason for the carnage.

The Train

IMBD: As the Allied forces approach Paris in August 1944, German Colonel Von Waldheim is desperate to take all of France's greatest paintings to Germany. He manages to secure a train to transport the valuable art works even as the chaos of retreat descends upon them. The French resistance however wants to stop them from stealing their national treasures but have received orders from London that they are not to be destroyed.

The entire film centers around this train to stall it reaching Germany and stars Burt Lancaster.

Iron Will from Walt Disney

IMBD: Based on a true story. In 1917, Louis W. Hill, was winter carnival president of the 500-miles dogsled race from Winnipeg, Canada to St. Paul, MN. He is son of railway magnate James J. Hill and president of the Great Northern Railway Company.

Many scenes filmed inside varnish cars as they followed the race route.

As a side note -

For those who mentioned the film "North by Northwest" in this thread, mark your calendars for Friday, May 26, 2017.

On that day, at Chicago's Symphony Center on Michigan Avenue, "North by Northwest" will be shown in Symphony Hall, with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra performing Bernard Herrmann's score live with the film.

Tickets are now available.

As a side note -

For those who mentioned the film "North by Northwest" in this thread, mark your calendars for Friday, May 26, 2017.

On that day, at Chicago's Symphony Center on Michigan Avenue, "North by Northwest" will be shown in Symphony Hall, with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra performing Bernard Herrmann's score live with the film.

You are my favorite person right now. Thank you! :)

My favorite James Bond movie, "From Russia with Love" has a lot of train scenes on The Orient Express including one of the most famous movie fight scenes between James Bond (Sean Connery) and Donald "Red" Grant (Robert Shaw) in a sleeping compartment.

As a side note -

You are my favorite person right now. Thank you! :)
Well, I'm flattered. I really thought the best I could manage was third or fourth runner-up. I promise to fulfill the duties of my position to the utmost of my abilities. ^_^

-----------------------------------------

I also wanted to mention that last night TCM had a five-movie retrospective of the work of director Preston Sturges, and all five films had at least a scene or two that took place on a train.

-The Lady Eve, with Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda. Features an ocean cruise for the first half of the film and a train voyage near the end. Also stars Charles Coburn, Eugene Pallette, and Eric Blore.

-Sullivan's Travels, with Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake. Out-of-touch Hollywood director McCrea and Lake attempt to get background information for a new film by riding the rails, Depression-style, dressing in ragged clothes and hopping on the nearest freight train.

-The Palm Beach Story, with Claudette Colbert and Joel McCrea. The middle third of the story takes place on the Florida Special, the Atlantic Coast Line train that traveled between New York and Miami for decades. Includes a great scene in which a quail hunting club destroys a club car while getting in some skeet practice, shooting at saltines for targets.

There is a scene on the train in which Colbert, having lost her clothes, must make an appearance in the dining car at breakfast wearing an outfit she conjured out of a pair of pajamas and a Pullman blanket. Considering the subject matter in another thread(pajamas in the diner), I thought it was particularly relevant.

A brief clip from the film is available on the TCM website, in which Colbert escapes the quail club target practice by hiding away in an empty upper berth in an adjacent sleeping car-

http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/movies/86154/Palm-Beach-Story-The-Movie-Clip-Light-as-a-Feather/244809/

The film also has a scene in which the scenery department re-created a small slice of the original New York Penn Station.

-Hail The Conquering Hero, with Eddie Bracken and William Demarest (Demarest actually appears somewhere in all five movies).

-The Great McGinty, with Brian Donlevy and Akim Tamiroff.

They are all great movies. If you happen to have TCM as part of your cable/satellite package, you can view four out of the five on the TCM website right now, in the Movies On Demand section, until September 09, 2016. The one movie not available right now - The Palm Beach Story, the one with the best train scene. :angry2:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094142/

"A bitter ex-husband and a put-upon momma's boy both want their respective spouse and mother dead,

but who will pull it off?

51_QTQQ9_C7_ML.jpg

While the story is pretty lame, the 1941 "screwball comedy", "Broadway Limited", shows great shots along the PRR, from Chicago Union Station to New York, including the Raymond Loewy streamlined 1938 Broadway cars, a K4 Pacific, and a GG-1.

It can be found and watched on YouTube... :)

Back