Quantcast

Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Have to say when standing looking at the ferry I didn't see it either, spotted when looking at the photos after. Does this help? Cleopatra it isn't though... got the nose wrong
Oooooh, well, of course I see it now. Duh (but yes, I think I need reading glasses nonetheless)!

Reactions: v v

Maglev

Conductor
As most transportation systems, the Washington State Ferries have suffered ridership and revenue reductions from COVID-19. Schedules would normally have been increased in the Spring and Summer, but WSF remained on a Winter schedule all year. Because many staff were in vulnerable age groups, there were crew shortages. The winter schedule does not allow for full ferry loads, so with summertime traffic increases, as the day goes on the ferries fall farther behind schedule. The reduced demand has eliminated the severe shortage of vessels for the time being, although the imperative of climate change is necessitating the construction of hybrid-power ferries starting in 2021.

A ferry was struck by lightning a couple days ago. Here's the story: 'It was like a bomb went off': Worker describes moment lightning struck Edmonds ferry

Lastly, here's a photo from the 2000's showing three ferries at once. The one in the distance is probably the Illahee, which was built in 1929 and served until 2007, when it was withdrawn for hull corrosion issues.

IMG_5106.jpg

anumberone

Conductor
AU Supporter
This is a Facebook video about the Princess Marguerite. It was the last steam passenger vessel on the West Coast, running Victoria-Seattle-Vancouver.

We have had two of those old Alaska steamers here in Southern California. The Princess Louise was made into a restaurant and docked in the channel near SanPedro. It was a very popular eating spot for years. It went through a couple of hardships and finally sunk. We also had the Lady Alexandrea that was made into a restaurant and docked in Redondo Beach. It was never very successful and in the end rolled over during a storm.

anumberone

Conductor
AU Supporter
As most transportation systems, the Washington State Ferries have suffered ridership and revenue reductions from COVID-19. Schedules would normally have been increased in the Spring and Summer, but WSF remained on a Winter schedule all year. Because many staff were in vulnerable age groups, there were crew shortages. The winter schedule does not allow for full ferry loads, so with summertime traffic increases, as the day goes on the ferries fall farther behind schedule. The reduced demand has eliminated the severe shortage of vessels for the time being, although the imperative of climate change is necessitating the construction of hybrid-power ferries starting in 2021.

A ferry was struck by lightning a couple days ago. Here's the story: 'It was like a bomb went off': Worker describes moment lightning struck Edmonds ferry

Lastly, here's a photo from the 2000's showing three ferries at once. The one in the distance is probably the Illahee, which was built in 1929 and served until 2007, when it was withdrawn for hull corrosion issues.

View attachment 19293
I always had an affection for ferries. Starting back in 44 riding the ferry from the train station in Oakland to San Francisco. Whenever we're in Seattle I always include a trip somewhere on a ferry.

Service Attendant
AU Lifetime Supporter
What no floating ICE Highway to negotiate - - -
Strange I don't view salt water freezing
Maybe not enough traffic to operate the ferry for at least one round trip daily ?
But then with the quarantine stay home orders it is probably just as well
That 300 km - 4 hour drive is some detour contributing to more fossil fuel burnt and global warming

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
What no floating ICE Highway to negotiate - - -
Strange I don't view salt water freezing
Maybe not enough traffic to operate the ferry for at least one round trip daily ?
But then with the quarantine stay home orders it is probably just as well
That 300 km - 4 hour drive is some detour contributing to more fossil fuel burnt and global warming

The Northumberland Strait separating PEI and Nova Scotia does freeze and is usually frozen over from mid January to mid March. That's PEI in the background:14 miles - 22 km across........

The ferries on this run were not built for ice conditions and have always been seasonal. The former CN car and railcar ferries that crossed the strait where the bridge is now located were ice-breakers and ran year round.

Covid times aside.....the ferry handles a lot of tourist traffic to the beaches and golfing on PEI but that traffic pretty well dries up in the off-season.

The detour is long for anyone heading east but for traffic between say Charlottown and Halifax......milage is a bit longer but time-wise it's shorter and you travel on your schedule. And the bridge is better positioned for truck traffic coming from central Canada on the Trans Canada Highway.