Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So none of VIA's trains are considered "essential service"?
And what about Marine Atlantic's 'business class' seating...shouldn't that be an 'extra' amenity' as well?

Don't think VIA is in the same context of a constitutionally guaranteed ferry link between the island of Newfoundland and mainland Canada negotiated at the time of Confederation. And yes you do pay tax on the Reserved Business Class type seating.

Guess a case could be made for VIA's remote service in northern Manitoba for example as essential.

A lot of the users of VIA's remote services are Indigenous and do not pay GST..

Last edited:
Off topic, but if the government ever built a bridge between Newfoundland and Quebec or Labrador, across the Strait of Belle Isle, would that absolve them from subsidizing the ferry?

Here is San Juan Ferry and Barge delivering a propane tanker to Obstruction Pass boat ramp on Orcas Island. Flammable fuel tankers, unlike other trucks, are not allowed to be transported on Washington State Ferries. The dock in the background of the first picture was recently a stop for a now-defunct Bellingham-to-Victoria passenger ferry.

IMG_7858.jpg IMG_7869.jpg

Here is San Juan Ferry and Barge delivering a propane tanker to Obstruction Pass boat ramp on Orcas Island. Flammable fuel tankers, unlike other trucks, are not allowed to be transported on Washington State Ferries. The dock in the background of the first picture was recently a stop for a now-defunct Bellingham-to-Victoria passenger ferry.

View attachment 15769 View attachment 15770
Why was the Bellingam to Victoria service stopped? Is it a Seasonal thing?

I have friends on Lopez Island and have ridden the Ferries many times, unfortunately not in the past 2 years!

The Bellingham to Victoria ferry was just seasonal, and the service stopped several years ago due to being unprofitable.

Lopez is in the background of the pictures; one can see (left to right) Obstruction Island, Blakely Island, then Lopez, with the Olympic Mountains behind.

My wife and I took the ferry to America the other day for a Costco run. On the way over, we were on the 90-car Sealth, which for some reason has replaced the 130-car Chelan on this route. Both vessels are from the same 1979-1982-built "Issaquah" class, but the Chelan had upper car decks added to its side tunnels. On arrival, we saw the Elwha in a storage slip with all its lights on. Last year, the legislature declined to fund keeping this 1968-built vessel in operating condition. I don't know what its fate will be. On the way back, we were on the new (2015) Samish. I appreciated its wider car lanes after a difficult maneuvering incident earlier due to an incompetent driver.

Drove out to the wharf at Caribou NS this afternoon...and no need to worry about a reservation to get over to Prince Edward Island for some sun, sand and surf as the marshalling area is a skating rink! Ferries go back in service on May 1st.

I have to go to the Island next week.....but it will be the long way 'round via the Confederation Bridge. (2 hrs on the ferry vs: 3 1/2 hrs via the bridge)

Sounds pretty grim. Looks like they might rethink building highway links to Juneau and Ketchican. The only Southeast Alaska towns currently reachable by road are Haines and Skagway.

The Levis Ferry:

Until 1998...Levis was the stop on the south shore of the St. Lawrence for the Halifax-Montreal trains and the short ferry ride was shown in CN Timetables as a connection over to Quebec City. Today the old right-of-way along the river is a walking/biking trail and the trains now run through Joffre Yard several miles south. Here's the westbound Scotian from Halifax back in the '70s...and that same view today from the ferry. The old station building and canopy have been restored.

https://flic.kr/p/2iErDEC] [/url]

And the view from the ferry of the Fortifications of the Walled City surrounding the iconic Canadian Pacific Railway's Chateau Frontenac Hotel......now a Fairmont (and not it's usual photogenic self with the scaffolding covering the face during a major renovation)

The Scotian is being fuelled after a particularly nasty run up the St. Lawrence Valley from Rimouski through a snow storm. (ferry dock in the background)

The CTMA (Coopérative de Transport Maritime et Aérien) Ferry that operates between Souris, Prince Edward Island and the Îles-de-la-Madeleine, Quebec will be replaced next year by a new ferry ......the MS Villa de Teror currently operating between Spain and Morocco

Below is CTMA's 40 year old MS Madeleine that is being replaced.

Well, one could argue that a Moroccan ferry isn't either. If it's interesting, I say go for it!

OK, two for the price of one.

First two are Egyptian Nile Public ferries at Luxor, still the preferred method for pedestrians to cross the Nile.

The third photo is one of a number of private ferries which charge a little more and are possibly a little more frequent, Catchy name on this one...

s71943a.jpg

s72020a.jpg

s72024a.jpg

OK, two for the price of one.

First two are Egyptian Nile Public ferries at Luxor, still the preferred method for pedestrians to cross the Nile.

The third photo is one of a number of private ferries which charge a little more and are possibly a little more frequent, Catchy name on this one...

View attachment 17948

View attachment 17949

View attachment 17950
:) Love the theming on the first one. Cleopatra's barge, I presume.

Back