Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As most transportation systems, the Washington State Ferries have suffered ridership and revenue reductions from COVID-19. Schedules would normally have been increased in the Spring and Summer, but WSF remained on a Winter schedule all year. Because many staff were in vulnerable age groups, there were crew shortages. The winter schedule does not allow for full ferry loads, so with summertime traffic increases, as the day goes on the ferries fall farther behind schedule. The reduced demand has eliminated the severe shortage of vessels for the time being, although the imperative of climate change is necessitating the construction of hybrid-power ferries starting in 2021.

A ferry was struck by lightning a couple days ago. Here's the story: 'It was like a bomb went off': Worker describes moment lightning struck Edmonds ferry

Lastly, here's a photo from the 2000's showing three ferries at once. The one in the distance is probably the Illahee, which was built in 1929 and served until 2007, when it was withdrawn for hull corrosion issues.

IMG_5106.jpg

This is a Facebook video about the Princess Marguerite. It was the last steam passenger vessel on the West Coast, running Victoria-Seattle-Vancouver.

A very interesting video for all of us who are ship buffs as well as rainfans. Thanks for posting it!

This is a Facebook video about the Princess Marguerite. It was the last steam passenger vessel on the West Coast, running Victoria-Seattle-Vancouver.

We have had two of those old Alaska steamers here in Southern California. The Princess Louise was made into a restaurant and docked in the channel near SanPedro. It was a very popular eating spot for years. It went through a couple of hardships and finally sunk. We also had the Lady Alexandrea that was made into a restaurant and docked in Redondo Beach. It was never very successful and in the end rolled over during a storm.

As most transportation systems, the Washington State Ferries have suffered ridership and revenue reductions from COVID-19. Schedules would normally have been increased in the Spring and Summer, but WSF remained on a Winter schedule all year. Because many staff were in vulnerable age groups, there were crew shortages. The winter schedule does not allow for full ferry loads, so with summertime traffic increases, as the day goes on the ferries fall farther behind schedule. The reduced demand has eliminated the severe shortage of vessels for the time being, although the imperative of climate change is necessitating the construction of hybrid-power ferries starting in 2021.

A ferry was struck by lightning a couple days ago. Here's the story: 'It was like a bomb went off': Worker describes moment lightning struck Edmonds ferry

Lastly, here's a photo from the 2000's showing three ferries at once. The one in the distance is probably the Illahee, which was built in 1929 and served until 2007, when it was withdrawn for hull corrosion issues.

View attachment 19293
I always had an affection for ferries. Starting back in 44 riding the ferry from the train station in Oakland to San Francisco. Whenever we're in Seattle I always include a trip somewhere on a ferry.

What no floating ICE Highway to negotiate - - -
Strange I don't view salt water freezing
Maybe not enough traffic to operate the ferry for at least one round trip daily ?
But then with the quarantine stay home orders it is probably just as well
That 300 km - 4 hour drive is some detour contributing to more fossil fuel burnt and global warming

What no floating ICE Highway to negotiate - - -
Strange I don't view salt water freezing
Maybe not enough traffic to operate the ferry for at least one round trip daily ?
But then with the quarantine stay home orders it is probably just as well
That 300 km - 4 hour drive is some detour contributing to more fossil fuel burnt and global warming

The Northumberland Strait separating PEI and Nova Scotia does freeze and is usually frozen over from mid January to mid March. That's PEI in the background:14 miles - 22 km across........

The ferries on this run were not built for ice conditions and have always been seasonal. The former CN car and railcar ferries that crossed the strait where the bridge is now located were ice-breakers and ran year round.

Covid times aside.....the ferry handles a lot of tourist traffic to the beaches and golfing on PEI but that traffic pretty well dries up in the off-season.

The detour is long for anyone heading east but for traffic between say Charlottown and Halifax......milage is a bit longer but time-wise it's shorter and you travel on your schedule. And the bridge is better positioned for truck traffic coming from central Canada on the Trans Canada Highway.

Surfing around on the internet, I found out the Seastreak ferries, who run a commuter service between Atlantic Highlands and New York, also run ferries between Atlantic Highlands/New York City/Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket. These are high-speed catamarans that do 38 knots. The boat leaves New Jersey at 2:30 PM, New York City at 4:00 PM, and arrives in Martha's Vineyard of 9:15 PM and Nantucket at 10:15 PM. The reverse schedule is similar with a 2:30 departure from Nantucket and a 10:15 arrival at Atlantic Highlands. It's not clear whether the ferry's route from New York City is through Long Island Sound, or whether they travel out in the ocean. East of Orient Point or Montauk, they're out in open water in any event.

Anyone ever do this trip? Sounds like it would be a neat way to get out the Nantucket or the Vineyard, assuming the 5-6 hour trip isn't too rough. It would certainly allow one to avoid the traffic on the Connecticut Turnpike.

I might be able to 'drive' to France this summer and stay within the Atlantic Bubble (NS,NB,PEI & Newfoundland/Labrador).....when I can't even take the Ocean to Montreal!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ne-wharf-upgrades-summer-completion-1.5942475
The new ferry could be in service this summer but it would take an agreement between Canada and France to allow the border to reopen with St. Pierre. There are currently no active Covid cases in St. Pierre and half the population is now vaccinated.

Https://vocm.com/2021/04/05/126250/

I looked into flying from Montreal to St. Pierre for a weekend getaway. I thought that it would be fun to surprise my wife and tell her that we were going to France for the weekend.

It turns out it was cheaper to fly from Montreal to Paris than it was to fly from Montreal to St. Pierre.

Needless to say, we never did go to France for the weekend.

I had a nice trip from St Thomas to St John on the catamaran ferry service that the USVI has. I didn't see the ID plate but the ferry resembles the older 26M Incat Crowthers that sail between Chumphon and Ko Tao (Thailand). Quick trip, just 20 minutes or so. And it was a bargain at just $8 each way.
The down side was that you couldn't move from the lower cabin to the upper deck while en route. I was chastised for coming out of the cabin to take a picture of our rooster tail. :-(

Attachments

• 700840FA-86F0-45AA-8EE1-07C21352A84A.jpeg
    700840FA-86F0-45AA-8EE1-07C21352A84A.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 2
Back