Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will they have Public Transportation available between Halifax and Yarmouth? ( Bus, shuttle etc)

As I recall, you were on your own to get to/from both when riding the Ferry previously.

To be Fair, as you said, Maine has the same problem,since to my knowledge there is no Transportation to/from Bar Harbor either.

Will they have Public Transportation available between Halifax and Yarmouth? ( Bus, shuttle etc)

VIA's Dominion Atlantic Dayliner has been gone since Jan 1990 and the Acadian Lines Bus also for a number of years...... but there are a couple of shuttle bus operators between Yarmouth and Halifax.

I always wanted to ride the ferry to CT when I was growing up on Long Island, but my family wasn't the travelin' kind. So all I ever got to ride was the Staten Island Ferry and the boat to the Statue of Liberty.

Then I moved to CA, and rode a couple of the tiny ferries in the Sacramento Delta; one was a cable ferry, and another a slightly larger (8 car) free-floating vessel. And I remember visiting Butchart Gardens with my wife (at the time) back in the '80's, so we must have ridden the ferry to Victoria, but I really have no memory of it.

And on a recent trip back to NY, I visited Ellis Island.

I'm afraid that's the full extent of my ferry travels. But after all this COVID stuff is over, I'd really like to make another trip to NY and do some ferry tourism.

I always wanted to ride the ferry to CT when I was growing up on Long Island, but my family wasn't the travelin' kind. So all I ever got to ride was the Staten Island Ferry and the boat to the Statue of Liberty.

Then I moved to CA, and rode a couple of the tiny ferries in the Sacramento Delta; one was a cable ferry, and another a slightly larger (8 car) free-floating vessel. And I remember visiting Butchart Gardens with my wife (at the time) back in the '80's, so we must have ridden the ferry to Victoria, but I really have no memory of it.

And on a recent trip back to NY, I visited Ellis Island.

I'm afraid that's the full extent of my ferry travels. But after all this COVID stuff is over, I'd really like to make another trip to NY and do some ferry tourism.
I’ve taken the Bridgeport CT/Port Jefferson and it’s more of a “commuter ferry”; whereas the Orient Point is a ”vacation ferry”.L to me. Train service isn’t that great to the north fork but there is a little museum near neighboring Greenport NY, a short taxi/lyft from Orient Point.

My dream trip would be: Amtrak Boston to New London, Ferry to Orient Point, Taxi/Lyft to Greenport LIRR Museum, LIRR Greenport to Penn Station, have dinner NYC, then return to Boston on Amtrak.

Although other 'International Borders' with Canada won't reopen until September....this one did reopen last week along with the US Border: the 'France-Canada' Border between St- Pierre and Newfoundland and the first time French citizens have been able to 'drive' to Canada on the first scheduled arrival of the new vehicle ferry. Previously this was a pedestrian only ferry and service had been suspended for 17 months. (video in this link....and let 'Google Translate' for you!)

https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/sain...nt-pierre-et-miquelon-et-fortune-1077934.html
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?ref=external&v=372882564391328

Last edited:
The nation's largest ferry system, which arries about as many passengers annually as Amtrak, is experiencing systemwide turmoil because of worker sickouts in response to a vaccine mandate. Washington State Ferries is down as many as six vessels this weekend due to shortages of Coast Guard certified crew. Yesterday in the San Juan Islands, two vessels out of four were out-of-service, and again today the interisland vessel is not running. The interisland sailings are particularly important to contractors and supply chain trucks.

The nation's largest ferry system, which arries about as many passengers annually as Amtrak, is experiencing systemwide turmoil because of worker sickouts in response to a vaccine mandate. Washington State Ferries is down as many as six vessels this weekend due to shortages of Coast Guard certified crew. Yesterday in the San Juan Islands, two vessels out of four were out-of-service, and again today the interisland vessel is not running. The interisland sailings are particularly important to contractors and supply chain trucks.
I certainly wouldn't want to be on a ship with Morons that refused to get a Shot that will protect them and the passengers!( Old Navy hand)

Last edited:
Looking forward to your reports, riding the Ferries in the Beautiful NW is one of my fondest Memories!😍
Well, here’s the first one - St Siméon to Rivière du Loup in Quebec. That’s crossing the St Lawrence estuary from the north bank to the south. It’s a b-I-I-I-g river at this point. We’re waiting to board the ferry just arriving. Crossing is just over an hour.
1CD06F23-4259-4B96-A166-DCB64F4E2A61.jpeg

Well, here’s the first one - St Siméon to Rivière du Loup in Quebec. That’s crossing the St Lawrence estuary from the north bank to the south. It’s a b-I-I-I-g river at this point. We’re waiting to board the ferry just arriving. Crossing is just over an hour.

Thanks for posting. I've been across there a few times.

That's the MV Trans St-Laurent....and nearly 60 years old! Built in 1963 but you'd never know as its up-to-date and very well maintained.

And yes.....it's a big river and getting wide: 23km here. The last 'bridged' crossing of the St. Lawrence is at Quebec City.....200 km up-river and by the time you reach the ferry crossing from Matane to Baie-Comeau.....its 60km wide!

Two more today from British Columbia - Hoseshoe Bay to Langdale, and then Earls Cove to Saltery Bay (for Powell River). It’s a very interesting landscape from a transport perspective. Langdale to Powell River - the Sunshine Coast - comprises two sections of mainland BC which are islands in all but name. The fjord-like coast means they can’t be reached except by ferry (from Horseshoe Bay just outside Vancouver at the south end, and from Vancouver Island at the Powell River end).

In the first shot we are just leaving Horseshoe Bay on Queen of Surrey. The unidentified ferry in the second photo is approaching Horsehoe Bay from Bowen Island. The third is of Malaspina Sky arriving at Earls Cove. The final picture is on the beautiful crossing to Saltery Bay. Powell River itself is slightly less beautiful - it’s raison d’être being a paper mill.
79F74B66-BC24-4C4D-BA2D-545AC40B7A69.jpeg8136C570-B74E-439D-B9E9-7B6C2EE74671.jpegF0A86E8A-462E-4975-99F9-0C0BC911DBB3.jpegDE267E78-9E72-4991-8781-A7F70372AC81.jpeg

Two more today from British Columbia - Hoseshoe Bay to Langdale, and then Earls Cove to Saltery Bay (for Powell River). It’s a very interesting landscape from a transport perspective. Langdale to Powell River - the Sunshine Coast - comprises two sections of mainland BC which are islands in all but name. The fjord-like coast means they can’t be reached except by ferry (from Horseshoe Bay just outside Vancouver at the south end, and from Vancouver Island at the Powell River end).

In the first shot we are just leaving Horseshoe Bay on Queen of Surrey. The unidentified ferry in the second photo is approaching Horsehoe Bay from Bowen Island. The third is of Malaspina Sky arriving at Earls Cove. The final picture is on the beautiful crossing to Saltery Bay. Powell River itself is slightly less beautiful - it’s raison d’être being a paper mill.
View attachment 24644View attachment 24645View attachment 24646View attachment 24647
Brings back Pleasant Memories 😍from my time in Vancouver, especially going to the Sunshine Coast to visit friends North of Powell Piver on Savary Island!😎

:cool: The Staten Island Ferry is the best travel Deal in North America! Its great to take the Ferry to the Island, have a Hot Dog or Pizza while looking @ Manhattan across the Water on a Sunny Day, then take the ride Back! When you leave the Terminal the Knock Off Designer Salesmen will be waiting to Sell you Fake Designer Purses etc. @ Medium to High Prices! Buyer Beware! :giggle:
Wow... gotta get that on my bucket list... although my Auntie Hattie took me for that joy ride when I was 8 or 9. At that time the fare was 5 cents if I remember correctly. Now it's free! Oh My! I'm on my way to relive those memories!

The weather changed today…
8486617F-7E75-4F71-A007-FDE500DC5BA4.jpeg
This was the view from the early Powell River to Comox trip aboard Salish Eagle. To be fair, she rode the choppy crossing very well.
Later, we took the Mill Bay-Brentwood Bay ferry across the Saanich Inlet aboard Krista - a very pleasant alternative approach to Victoria BC. Anyone familiar with some of the Scottish ferries will find this scene familiar:
124EC82D-4DB1-46A2-A2AB-CC206E066E22.jpeg789322C6-F4FB-4328-ACE7-8EA984DAEBA1.jpeg

Vancouver SeaBus ferry between North Vancouver and Vancouver:
20211002_171901~2.jpg

And, well, seize doesn't matter, AquaBus to the left and a FalseCreekFerries floating bathtub to the right:
20211003_140624~2.jpg
Google showed it to be the busiest time of the day; I was the only passenger on the bathtub.

A better view:
20211003_141438~2.jpg

Chaos continues on the Washington State Ferry system. Here is a selection of today's travel alerts:

Anacortes / San Juan Islands:

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 9.36.49 AM.png
Seattle / Bainbridge Island:
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 9.37.11 AM.png
Port Townsend / Coupeville:

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 9.37.57 AM.png

Seattle / Bremerton:

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 9.38.19 AM.png

My wife has a doctor's appointment on the mainland tomorrow, and has opted to go over a day early due to unreliability of the ferry system. So not only are we out $200 for a decent hotel, she'll have a whole afternoon to go shopping and that could cost thousands!! And for my Empire Builder trip in November, I am changing my reservations to the mainland to the day before the train as well.

Back