Finally posted

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work B-51!! Thanks for the good job!! You really know what you are doing!! I will have to re-reaD it several times. Makes me feel like I was there.

Well I've been taking some heat lately at school because I'm (as the 31 year vet says) a Trekkie. My Spanish I (please excuse me while I hurl) notebook is plastered with equipment names, service names, shop names etc. Then yesterday I told this stupid freshmen that I wanted to work for Amtrak. She gave me this look and I'm like "Hey they make 45 Grand starting bi***!" Nobody disses me, Amtrak, or trains and gets away with it.

I have an Acela Express photo on my entrepeneurship calss notebook and a P-42 for my Algebra II binder, so I take some heat too, but it doesn't change who I'm freinds with. If anything no one really cares. I've also gotta deal with a school that has a circumference of a mile (serioisly, you walk around the school once, it's a one mile) and over crowded with 2100 students.

Amfleet said:
I have an Acela Express photo on my entrepeneurship calss notebook and a P-42 for my Algebra II binder, so I take some heat too, but it doesn't change who I'm freinds with. If anything no one really cares. I've also gotta deal with a school that has a circumference of a mile (serioisly, you walk around the school once, it's a one mile) and over crowded with 2100 students.
I don't start till monday and all I've had is high school orientation because of middle school construction. There is no February or April vacation, only march :( . Which means only a (Silver Meteor) trip in March. I may get a Washington (acela I hope!) this summer instead of an april trip.

Maybe I'll print out a 62091 picture for a binder.

Wow. You start late Viewliner. Most towns start in mid-late August, I started after Labor Day. We're such a lazy town they give us anything off. We have 2 weeks in December, 1 week in February, 7 days (not including weekends) in April, then we get out the 18 of June. Then add in 3 day weekends, half-days, "winter" days, teacher in service, and Thanksgiving vacation (3 days plus a weekend). Don't ask me how that adds up to 180. I take it your a freshamn. Good Luck!!! B)

The schools here in NY City just started yesterday. I know this in part because they report it on the news down here, plus one of my clients runs a company that provides school buses for the NYC board of ed. In fact I was there today, and they were going nuts. Parents calling to find out why their kid has to get up at 7:00 for the bus, calling to find out why the child didn't get home yet, and anything else you can think of they were calling about. It was bedlam!

Worse traffic was very heavy tonight, since it's a weekend and the first night of Rosh Hashanah, then factor in that many drivers are still learning the routes. So more than half of the buses were running 15 to 30 minutes late.

Normally we get a week in December, February, and April along with a few days here and there, but they did construction on the middle schools (Heritage :lol: and Mt. Pleasant) and needed a later start so they cut the February and April weeks and gave us a week off in march only (may get a D.C Trip in the summer as a result). I did have High School orientation on wednesday. After my 180 (no more than 179 b/c I'll be on the Silver Meteor one day) I start working.

Thanks Jon :) I am a freshman.

This being my Junior year, most important of them all, I have decided not to take any long train trips just because I can not miss any school. However, during February break I'm planning a trip to my grandparents on the Acela Express from Boston-New York, Keystone Service (with the new entertainment system) from New York to Paoli, SEPTA from Paoli to Philly, and Acela Regional from Philly to Boston (via Hartford and Springfeild). I'm trying to get a trip on the Downeaster, I doubt that will work out though. Also I'm off the the Big Railroad Hobby Show in Springfeild at the begining of February. Railfanning will be a lot more easier once I have my car lisence so I won't be dragging my parents around. Just got my permit yesterday. :D

High School will be a lot of fun, but stay concentrated on your school work and don't to mess up. B)

Good luck on the road. Thanks for your advice I tend to be a serious student, do my homework, study, cooperate in class, and wind up getting A's and B's.

Same with me. Freshman year I tried taking all honors courses, but that was too stressful. Now I'm down to about half CP2 level, half honors (I'm not sure if things are leveled this way in other schools). Thanks about the raod. I don't plan to use my car other than around town as Amtrak will always be the way to go. :D

Amfleet said:
Same with me. Freshman year I tried taking all honors courses, but that was too stressful. Now I'm down to about half CP2 level, half honors (I'm not sure if things are leveled this way in other schools). Thanks about the raod. I don't plan to use my car other than around town as Amtrak will always be the way to go. :D
Actually NJ Transit Is The Way To Go :lol: . Just kidding, i think an exception is Auto Train if you want to take it again.

I have

Spanish II Enriched

Geometry (Standard)

Biology Enriched (the one I'm most nervous about)

Global Studies CP 1

Computer Applications

Creative Photo

PE (4 Days/ Week) MP 1-3; Health MP 4

Lunch

English CP 1

2 things they told us to remeber, when asking for directions in the hall there is no 3rd floor and no pool :lol: .

Can't wait to take the Meteor again!

My school so big that we have 2 gyms, 2 cafaterias, one huge library, and over a mile of halls to get lost in. I literaly needed a map and compass to get around my first day of Freshman year. They didn't give us any orientation either.

You have 8 classes! I'm limited to 6. Each day I have four 1 hour classes, and one 1 1/2 hour class, plus a 1/2 an hour lunch in that longer block.

I have for classes:

- English III CP2

- Algebra II Honors

- Astronomy Multi-Level

- US History Honors

- Latin II CP2

- Entrepeneurship Multi-Level (1st term)

- New Business Multi-Level (2nd term)

This is all 2000 students at my high school when we stood on the football feild forming the letters "USA" as a September 11 tribute. I'm in the "A" :D

usaflag7.jpg

Just to add. The Auto Train would be great except I still have to drive with an adult in the car until I turn 17. Also the AT tends to run on the expensive side. I'm looking forward to my Acela trip though. B)

B51, on the subject of "taking heat for being a rainfan" just hang in there...it will get better as people see how serious you are. I actually took much more heat years ago than I do today, thankfully. Before Amtrak, people actually often thought trains had disappeared completely....I remember having to convince one old "gentlemen" who lived inW ashington, DC that they still had trains there---a city which has ALWAYS had tons of trains , today as well as then (in the mid 50's) For all the negative publicty Amtrak sometimes gets, I almost think that is better than the "no publicty" of earlier times, after trains were staring to fade....One intellectual problem I have today--many people think trips like what I just took was an organized tour or excursion...they do not realize that these are daily(or almost daily)commercial trains...i.e. REAL trains.Oh, well.

Hey you guys still in school, Viewliner, Tristan,Amfleet,B51, have a good year...don't think so much about trains or anything else that your grades don't work for you...just make A's and B's like Viewliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back