Fire impacts Coast Starlight (6/29/21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak alert:

SERVICE DISRUPTION: Coast Starlight Train 11 which departed SEA on 6/28 will terminate at Klamath Falls (KFS) due to wildfires south of Klamath Falls. Train will return back to origination providing drop-off only.
And the same for the Train 14 that left LAX yesterday.

Looks like the fire will affect todays 11/14 too

*SERVICE DISRUPTION: Coast Starlight Train 14, departing Los Angeles on 6/29 through 7/1, will operate as a bus bridge between Sacramento (SAC) and Klamath Falls (KFS) due to wildfires on the route. Customers scheduled at intermediate stations, please call or text 1-800-USA- RAIL.

*SERVICE DISRUPTION: Coast Starlight Train 11, departing SEA on 6/29 through 7/1, will operate as a bus bridge between Klamath Falls (KFS) and Sacramento (SAC) due to wildfires on the route. Customers scheduled at intermediate stations, please call or text 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Sorry for the folks in route...

Couldn't find anything in the news specifically about a bridge, just fires in the area. If true could be a major problem. Any pointers?

Not actual photo....

View attachment 23256

wow, for a moment, I thought that was the actual bridge on fire. The actual bridge may or may not have suffered damage that may cut off service for months. so I don't see the purpose of publishing some random trestle fire that has nothing to do with the problems on the UP.

I'm going on the Starlight in August, hopefully nothing bad happens!

Given that we have absolutely no indication that a bridge was in fact burned can we take it out of the title? It's pretty misleading...
Just because the news hasn't covered it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'm assuming the OP heard it from an Amtrak employee on the train s/he's on.

Per someone on FB this is the bridge that the fire crossed (we do know that the fire crossed US 97). What we don't know is the extent of damage and how quickly UP can get there - because there's an active fire - to inspect and repair it.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...e1f78864a8f8a!8m2!3d41.4894956!4d-122.3072849

Reactions: Cal
Fingers crossed the bridge is fine.
Amtrak may be bypassing the area out of precaution due to any burning of the farms around the town of Weed just to the Southwest in the fire map image you provided. A train full of loaded old folks. 😏 (disclaimer – not serious)

That's almost as bad as my hypothetical picture! Haven't found any news stories yet, but I'm sure they have plenty of other things to deal with right now.

Those pictures look a lot like the file photos of the Hotlum Trestle, so probably the real thing. Not good. This could set the UP back years. Maybe if we're lucky it is just the wooden top structure, but I wouldn't want to put any bets on the integrity of the steel.

Nice YouTube of the Coast Starlight crossing the trestle, which is apparently also known as the Dry Creek Trestle. Check out all the fuel underneath...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back