Fire impacts Coast Starlight (6/29/21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you misunderstood. @Eric in East County shared his experience from 2004 that is similar to todays. '

The Hotlum Trestle that was damaged recently might be getting replaced entirely, but @oregon pioneer is saying that UP will probably want it done ASAP and so it might be finished quicker than estimated.
Cal,

Thank you for clarifying that we were talking about something that happened in 2004.

E & P

Reactions: Cal
I sure hope that happens. If it does, I'll be able to enjoy views of Mount Shasta from the train, and not a bus!
Greyhound's top fare category is refundable. Their prices have jumped up once since July 4th. I'm hoping to ride the train but we'll see. PDX<>SEA corridor fares on trains closest to the slots of missing Trains 11/14 are increasing faster than other corridor trains.

I made a discovery that I wasn't looking for while researching the annulled segment (SAC<>SEA). The SAC<>RDD daylight Thruway bus disappeared. There is a text reference and map in the current on-line Capitol Corridor pdf schedule but it didn't come up in Amtrak's reservation system. The junky San Joaquin website doesn't even show that. Its home page displays a rail-only map.

Was this a pandemic cutback or was it discontinued a while ago?

Greyhound's top fare category is refundable. Their prices have jumped up once since July 4th. I'm hoping to ride the train but we'll see. PDX<>SEA corridor fares on trains closest to the slots of missing Trains 11/14 are increasing faster than other corridor trains.

I made a discovery that I wasn't looking for while researching the annulled segment (SAC<>SEA). The SAC<>RDD daylight Thruway bus disappeared. There is a text reference and map in the current on-line Capitol Corridor pdf schedule but it didn't come up in Amtrak's reservation system. The junky San Joaquin website doesn't even show that. Its home page displays a rail-only map.

The bus is still running, as I see it regularly driving through Chico twice a day.

Maybe the roads were/are closed, due to fires, where it travels??

Maybe the roads were/are closed, due to fires, where it travels??
As best as I can tell from media and knowledge of the area the fires are north of Redding so far. Given Blackwolf's info, this may be yet another Amtrak IT failure. I'll give it a try again. ("The definition of insanity is trying Amtrak reservations repeatedly.")

Took me all afternoon, but I finally got the system to complete my Covid pre-check for my train tomorrow. Insanity indeed.
I have NOT had to do a COVID pre-check on any of my 7 Amtrak Trips since April( AUS-DAL-AUS/AUS-ALP-AUS/NYP-BWI and AUS-TPL-AUS.

All trips were booked on Line except the AUS-DAL-AUS trip where I used AGR Points.

I have NOT had to do a COVID pre-check on any of my 7 Amtrak Trips since April( AUS-DAL-AUS/AUS-ALP-AUS/NYP-BWI and AUS-TPL-AUS.

All trips were booked on Line except the AUS-DAL-AUS trip where I used AGR Points.
I had to do one for my Surfline trip. Although I don't think they would've done anything if I didn't do it

Following up on the disappearance of Redding Thruway service:

I found this in the San Joaquins website.

RT 3 – Stockton – Sacramento – Chico – Redding – 2 Round-Trips Between Stockton-Sacramento-Chico-Redding and 1 Round-Trip Between Stockton-Sacramento-Chico**
  • Bus Numbers Still Operating: 3710, 3810, 3712, 3812, 3716, 3816, 3718, 3711, 3811, 3713, 3813, 3865, 3715, 3815, 3646, 3819
Of course without public timetables it's hard to tell which trips those are. Following up on Blackwolf's observation I tried OKJ and EMY to Chico. The Amtrak website worked fine for that. Then I tried OKJ and EMY to RDD again and only the canceled Train 14 showed. And the Alert still shows no alternatives north of Sacramento, except for EUG<>SEA.

I checked southbound with similar results. One of our cities is missing!

With some outside help for me, here's the way to find Redding's Thruway buses.

If one types in "Redding" the Amtrak website shows RDD first-- the train side of the station area. Thruway buses (and Greyhound) are found at the second listing. If instead one types in RDR the bus side comes up.

And there is an attractive pdf schedule. To find it:

Amtrak Train Stations & Schedules, CA | Amtrak San Joaquins

One would think that would show schedules, but there's another step. Look for the small grey box that says "Amtrak San Joaquins Timetables" to get the pdf OR click on the top line heading that reads "Stations and Schedules" and then click on "Thruway Bus Routes". That path leads to individual bus route timetables formatted for mobile displays.

It would have helped if Amtrak's travel alert specified where Thruway buses are available at stops on the Coast Starlight route.

Last edited:
“We are certain the outage will extend into some or all of August and are looking at what is the best option for the next several weeks,” Marc Magliari, public relations manager for Amtrak government affairs and corporate communications said in an announcement Thursday.

Is it too much to ask that they keep their passengers with reservations in the loop with what’s going on? Says this to the press but they’ll still sell tickets on the assumption of a July 14th restoration.

Is it too much to ask that they keep their passengers with reservations in the loop with what’s going on? Says this to the press but they’ll still sell tickets on the assumption of a July 14th restoration.
I’m sure they’ll let the pax know when they know. All they told the media is that they’re looking into options.

Well seems like the shoe dropped. Still haven't heard anything from Amtrak but if you try to book from PDX-EMY it’s bussing you from KFS to SAC… time to book a flight and a hotel and pester Amtrak for my points back.

No they won't. If you try to book LAX-SEA after the 14th but before the end of the month, it offers you the CS to SAC, a bus to KFS, and then a train the rest of the way. Sounds like they recognize a reality of the situation and have made arraignments for a bus bridge to be in place for as long as is necessary.
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back