Fire impacts Coast Starlight (6/29/21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest update from my contact in Mt. Shasta: Here come the trains: UP finished repairs to bridge damaged by Lava Fire ahead of schedule

Dry Canyon Bridge, which was damaged July 28 in the Lava Fire, reopened Sunday after repairs to the structure progressed faster than Union Pacific first expected.

Originally, UP said it would take until the end of the month for the bridge – located about five miles northeast of Weed – to be serviceable, said Robynn Tysver, a communications manager for the railroad. Freight trains had been diverted over Donner Pass.

In an announcement Monday, UP commended its engineering and operating teams, "who have been working around the clock to restore service."

"We expect to see continued transit delays over the next few weeks as we reposition resources," UP said in the statement.

Of course, I have no idea what this means for Amtrak, and they don't say in the article.

Isn't it amazing how quickly corporate America can get things done when profits are being held in the balance?
Too true, too true. But that ought to go for Amtrak, too, since the summer is clearly their busiest time for LD trains, especially the lucrative sleepers. I would presume that they will push to get the CS back as soon as practicable. Cancelled bookings won't be made up in the fall and winter, for the most part.

Too true, too true. But that ought to go for Amtrak, too, since the summer is clearly their busiest time for LD trains, especially the lucrative sleepers. I would presume that they will push to get the CS back as soon as practicable. Cancelled bookings won't be made up in the fall and winter, for the most part.
We gotta hope for the best that Amtrak and UP will now get it all together! And the little engine said, "I think I can, I think I can!"

That said... 'You and Me and We' all have to do our fair share for the environment to stop the global warming crisis!

1627947561995.png

Even though the Dry Canyon Bridge is now open and UP is running Freight Trains,there is Track Work going on between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo.

He didn't indicate if there was Alternate Transportation offered, ie a Bus Bridge on 101.
For the LAX - EMY segment presumably the Thruway + San Joaquin alternative is available, no? Also I presume the Thruway buses are still running to San louis Obispo from the south continue to run.

For the LAX - EMY segment presumably the Thruway + San Joaquin alternative is available, no? Also I presume the Thruway buses are still running to San louis Obispo from the south continue to run.
I'm pretty sure those alternatives are available, but since I know Cal, who lives in SOCAL, I'm certain he doesn't want to ride a Bus!😄😉

I'm pretty sure those alternatives are available, but since I know Cal, who lives in SOCAL, I'm certain he doesn't want to ride a Bus!😄😉
But then even a bus bridge is a bus. You were wondering if there is a bus bridge and I was pointing out that there are plenty of pre-existing bridges, thus precluding the necessity of additional bus bridges.

He didn't indicate if there was Alternate Transportation offered, ie a Bus Bridge on 101.
Amtrak said no alternate transportation would be offered (not that I want to ride a bus anyway), I think you'd have to book an entire new reservation to get put on a bus/San Joaquin pair.

Amtrak called again about my return trip on August 13, but instead of saying cancelled they said it's been delayed. Currently on hold waiting for an agent...

I get the impression that Amtrak has progressively gotten more haphazard and disorganized in handling IROPs. This may be due to brain drain and the fresh ones being inexperienced/poorly trained.

I would have imagined that in the days of yore, Amtrak would have automatically offered a San Joaquin alternative to anyone traveling through that wanted to partake. But then again, if they are not running EMY/OKJ to PDX/SEA either, it might be somewhat pointless. But still, those traveling only to the Bay area should have been offered the alternative. I think all this comes partly from certain characters in the executive suites of Amtrak not believing that they are actually charged with running a real transportation service rather than a large HO set for hobby.

Amtrak is saying we have three months to keep the 50 dollar rate we got, unfortunately our schedule makes it impossible for that to happen, and the tracks aren't even open till September 7th (one of those three months). I'm curious, you think there's any chance a different agent would allow for that period to be extended?

Amtrak is saying we have three months to keep the 50 dollar rate we got, unfortunately our schedule makes it impossible for that to happen, and the tracks aren't even open till September 7th (one of those three months). I'm curious, you think there's any chance a different agent would allow for that period to be extended?
I would wait about two months, then call and plead your case...

Amtrak called us today saying our trip for August 11 was cancelled.
You got a call? I got an email saying that my 8/23 PDX-LAX leg was canceled, and no alternative provided. I had understood that I would be routed from PDX-KFS by train, and then KFS-SAC via bus, to connect to a train SAC-LAX. Now, I'm in a pickle, because this is part of a much bigger trip, and I need to figure out how I'm going to get from Portland to LA.

Reactions: Cal
You got a call? I got an email saying that my 8/23 PDX-LAX leg was canceled, and no alternative provided. I had understood that I would be routed from PDX-KFS by train, and then KFS-SAC via bus, to connect to a train SAC-LAX. Now, I'm in a pickle, because this is part of a much bigger trip, and I need to figure out how I'm going to get from Portland to LA.
Can you push back one day to the 24th? 8/23 is the last day of the service cancellation due to Coast Line bridge work. On the 24th, they are back to the KFS-SAC bus bridge.

I don't know if Amtrak will rebook you since they aren't really selling space on the train-bus-train Starlight (which is messed up all by itself) but my opinion is they should since you already had a reservation.

Of course, there is always Alaska Airlines, which has a lot of PDX-LAX service. Personally, despite my love of train travel, I'd fly Alaska over an overnight bus ride any time.

Can you push back one day to the 24th? 8/23 is the last day of the service cancellation due to Coast Line bridge work. On the 24th, they are back to the KFS-SAC bus bridge.

I don't know if Amtrak will rebook you since they aren't really selling space on the train-bus-train Starlight (which is messed up all by itself) but my opinion is they should since you already had a reservation.

Of course, there is always Alaska Airlines, which has a lot of PDX-LAX service. Personally, despite my love of train travel, I'd fly Alaska over an overnight bus ride any time.
The bigger issue with the flight is the added expense. I booked this trip because it was affordable. I have searched flights from PDX-LAX and from PDX-SMF, hoping that I could just transfer to the train in Sacramento. The negative is the added expense that is just not convenient at this time.

The bigger issue with the flight is the added expense. I booked this trip because it was affordable. I have searched flights from PDX-LAX and from PDX-SMF, hoping that I could just transfer to the train in Sacramento. The negative is the added expense that is just not convenient at this time.
Well, SMF wouldn't work anyway because the train is annulled south of Sacramento. The reason for the outright cancellation 8/9 to 8/23 is bridge work on the Coast Line south of San Luis Obispo. Although the southern Starlight stub wouldn't be running, you could patch together a San Joaquin/Bakersfield bus or Capitol Corridor/Thruway bus/Surfliner alternative from Sac, though.

Your best bet then is to contact Amtrak and see if they'll rebook you the next day on 8/24 when the train/bus/train service officially resumes (and maybe all rail service if Amtrak can get UP to authorize early resumption since the Dry Creek Trestle is now repaired and back in service). Amtrak usually is pretty reasonable in situations like this if you contact them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal
Well, SMF wouldn't work anyway because the train is annulled south of Sacramento. The reason for the outright cancellation 8/9 to 8/23 is bridge work on the Coast Line south of San Luis Obispo. Although the southern Starlight stub wouldn't be running, you could patch together a San Joaquin/Bakersfield bus or Capitol Corridor/Thruway bus/Surfliner alternative from Sac, though.

Your best bet then is to contact Amtrak and see if they'll rebook you the next day on 8/24 when the train/bus/train service officially resumes (and maybe all rail service if Amtrak can get UP to authorize early resumption since the Dry Creek Trestle is now repaired and back in service). Amtrak usually is pretty reasonable in situations like this if you contact them.
I put a call in. I'm in the call-back queue now.

I can't imagine that this bus bridge and train turn plan is more cost-effective than just running the trains from SEA-EMY with onward bus connections to LAX during the track work north of LA. I understand that UP repaired this bridge a month ahead of schedule, but you would think Amtrak would be able to respond quickly and restore this important service. Cancelling a full month's worth of trains in the overnight section during the busy summer travel season when the track is now open just looks bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back