Fires affecting the Coast Starlight in 2022

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
It’s been over a year since that trestle in Siskiyou County, CA was damaged by the Lava wildfire. As a result, my Coast Starlight trip that took place last September was in jeopardy. However, the saints of UP miraculously were able to repair the bridge and burnt track a month ahead of schedule and my trip went on as planned.

Now, there’s an even bigger fire in that same county that’s only 40% contained. Has it threatened to shutter UP and Starlight service yet again?

It’s been over a year since that trestle in Siskiyou County, CA was damaged by the Lava wildfire. As a result, my Coast Starlight trip that took place last September was in jeopardy. However, the saints of UP miraculously were able to repair the bridge and burnt track a month ahead of schedule and my trip went on as planned.

Now, there’s an even bigger fire in that same county that’s only 40% contained. Has it threatened to shutter UP and Starlight service yet again?
The McKinney Fire is well west of the Starlight route. Take a look at this map of active fires:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/projects/california-fire-map/
And the NW Fire map can be found here:
https://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/information/firemap.aspx
The Windigo Fire near Crescent Lake and Cedar Creek near Waldo Lake would be the closest ones to the Starlight route this year. We've had a very wet spring, however, and we're not seeing the explosive growth we saw last year. Both Windigo and Cedar Creek would need to move significantly to affect the highway or rail routes in the area, and that is not expected.

We're heading down to Waldo Lake to camp this week, so I've been following the Cedar Creek fire pretty closely.

Last edited:
According to the Amtrak app, #11 arrived at Chemult today at 9:42 and departed at 9:44. I can't imagine them going that near the fire. I wonder what the view outside was like, if it wasn't already dark.

According to the Amtrak app, #11 arrived at Chemult today at 9:42 and departed at 9:44. I can't imagine them going that near the fire. I wonder what the view outside was like, if it wasn't already dark.
That's good to hear. I assumed the tracker was behind or in error. I'm sure those folks got quite the view of the fire as they climbed up towards the pass yesterday evening.

Today 14 also passed by safely
I saw that. The fire update just now said that they investigated heat signatures south of the highway but did not find any spot burning. However, the fire is very close to the rail line in the McCredie Springs area, and we are still seeing very dangerous winds today and tonight. Hopefully their prep work over the past few weeks will hold it just north of the railroad. HWY 58 is still closed.

https://oregonlive.com/wildfires/20...ght-as-oregon-wildfires-continue-to-burn.html

I saw that. The fire update just now said that they investigated heat signatures south of the highway but did not find any spot burning. However, the fire is very close to the rail line in the McCredie Springs area, and we are still seeing very dangerous winds today and tonight. Hopefully their prep work over the past few weeks will hold it just north of the railroad. HWY 58 is still closed.

https://oregonlive.com/wildfires/20...ght-as-oregon-wildfires-continue-to-burn.html
Still surprised the line is still open, especially if the surrounding area has been evacuated.

Well I was on Starlight when the trestle burned out and I have a scheduled trip on friday the Septmber 16th, Can two be the charm to getting bumped? I did it because of 40% off fare. At least I know how long it will take to be reimbursed for insurance. forever.
Ihope i have trip continuation. bought it through Amtrak website.

Still surprised the line is still open, especially if the surrounding area has been evacuated.
They close highways and evacuate homes so that everyone won't clog the roads by all trying to leave at once, hindering their own escape and preventing the free movement of firefighting crews and equipment. I don't think I have ever heard of an instance where fire crews used a track, even when already closed to rail traffic.

I am sure rail dispatch is working with fire dispatchers and only letting one train through the section at a time when they can be assured it's OK. Fire dispatchers are working with weather forecasters, and can normally predict the weather a couple hours ahead. They will know if there's likely to be a rapid increase in fire activity (and what direction the wind is likely to push it).

I am sure rail dispatch is working with fire dispatchers and only letting one train through the section at a time when they can be assured it's OK. Fire dispatchers are working with weather forecasters, and can normally predict the weather a couple hours ahead. They will know if there's likely to be a rapid increase in fire activity (and what direction the wind is likely to push it).
Speaking of closed lines, a closed line could still be used by the railroad's own firefighting trains. They were utilized in last year's fires to protect railroad property.
One video I saw such a train was being used to transport firefighters to/from an area not accessible by motor vehicle.
This video is from the 2018 Delta Fire.

I stand corrected, and I do remember seeing a video about the firefighting train in the Shasta County fire a coupe years ago. Was their goal to spray down the area adjacent to the tracks, to keep the fire at a distance and protect the infrastructure? Does anyone know where they may have transported fire crews to or from the scene of the fire?

I saw where they used the tracks to get to the avalanches in Stevens Pass last January (I was waiting for the EB to start up again, as I was ticketed for that period), but that's a whole different matter. Just thinking about it makes me feel a little cooler!

I stand corrected, and I do remember seeing a video about the firefighting train in the Shasta County fire a coupe years ago. Was their goal to spray down the area adjacent to the tracks, to keep the fire at a distance and protect the infrastructure? Does anyone know where they may have transported fire crews to or from the scene of the fire?

I saw where they used the tracks to get to the avalanches in Stevens Pass last January (I was waiting for the EB to start up again, as I was ticketed for that period), but that's a whole different matter. Just thinking about it makes me feel a little cooler!
If you can see this on Facebook, it is a post from the group Butte County Fires, Accidents and Crimes.

"7/16/2021 (Friday): BCFAC Dixie Fire News: Union Pacific Railroad used their fire train to transport 6 crews of firefighters out of the Dixie Fire zone at the end of their shift Friday morning.
The request placed by Cal Fire indicated there would be about 100 men including some CDCR inmates seen at the front of the train wearing orange.
The tracks follow the Feather River and Highway 70 in the Feather River Canyon where the Dixie Fire is burning in the Cresta Dam area.
The tank you see in the video is used to hold water to spray the wooden trestles, ties and vegetation along the tracks when they are threatened by fire."

Link (foul language alert at one point):

Well I was on Starlight when the trestle burned out and I have a scheduled trip on friday the Septmber 16th, Can two be the charm to getting bumped? I did it because of 40% off fare. At least I know how long it will take to be reimbursed for insurance. forever.
Ihope i have trip continuation. bought it through Amtrak website.
In the event of a cancelation you are usually allowed to reschedule to a different date at no extra cost.

In the event of a cancelation you are usually allowed to reschedule to a different date at no extra cost.
If Amtrak cancels, you should get a full refund (if you want). There will not be a re-booking "penalty" but, if the fare has gone up (or down) when you re-book you could pay more (or less) (assuming same accomodations).

If Amtrak cancels, you should get a full refund (if you want). There will not be a re-booking "penalty" but, if the fare has gone up (or down) when you re-book you could pay more (or less) (assuming same accomodations).
If your reservation has been canceled by Amtrak, and you call, they will waive that for you. (Have had this happen twice, once with a promo fare, and they still honored it).

If your train has not been canceled and you voluntarily change, then what you said is correct.

Looks like a delay to train 11 due to the fire today. From the video update I saw this morning, they are using a fire fighting train on the corridor today.
Hubby and I were on that train. We held in Portland for around four hours. On the track right next to us was the full consist of the Empire Builder, not just the portion that usually leaves Portland. EB was waiting for passengers to be bussed down from Seattle, because there is a big fire burning east of there as well. I'm not sure how delayed the EB was, but we left Portland around 6:30 PM, made up one of the hours overnight, and ran three hours late the rest of the trip. At one point during the night, the smell of smoke was so thick inside the train it was unpleasant to breathe, so I assume we were passing the active fire area, but was too dark outside to tell. Unfortunately, because of leaving Portland so late, it was dark for pretty much all of the really scenic areas of the CS route, including through the mountains the first day and next to the coast the second. But of course, that's not Amtrak's fault, and as a Southern Californian, I certainly understand wildfires and their unpredictability.

Back