First Class Passengers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike S.

Service Attendant
In various Amtrak materials, they have loosely thrown around the term "First Class Passengers". Who are they? My best guess is passengers that have sleeping car accomodations. Most likely the "Bedroom" passengers, but what about roomettes? I know other than Acela service, there is no real first class option on trains outside the NEC, just Business Class.

So what else does this give you? I know it includes all meas on LD trips (I presume at each meal time, not just, I'm hungry for another dinner 2 hours later), but what about drinks/snacks. Are those unlimited within reason? I think all LD trains that have a dinner ALSO have a cafe/lounge (where you'd go for snacks/soda). Metropolitain lounges are included.

Anything else?

All passengers booked in sleeping car accommodations - any room type - are considered First Class. This gets you:

Access to station lounges before departure and after arrival (for connections) where available. The lounges are either branded Club Acela (NEC) or Metropolitan (others)

Free meals in the Dining Car for each passenger in the accommodation (up to the stated maximum occupancy of the room). One free meal at each meal time including desert and a non-alcoholic beverage. Beer, wine, other alcoholic drinks, and service gratuity are not included. Food and drinks in the Cafe are not included.

Some limited beverage service in the sleeper (coffee, juices, bottled water)

Attendant service in the sleeper.

Actually, in Amtrak's current terminology, "First Class" designates the premium coach seating on the Acela Express services. The term has been dropped for sleepers, now called "Sleeping Car Service".

Actually, in Amtrak's current terminology, "First Class" designates the premium coach seating on the Acela Express services. The term has been dropped for sleepers, now called "Sleeping Car Service".
Not according to Amtrak's website, which says:

Amtrak said:
On trains with sleeping bedrooms, all sleeping bedroom accommodations are considered to be First Class accommodations.

Not according to Amtrak's website, which says:

Amtrak said:
On trains with sleeping bedrooms, all sleeping bedroom accommodations are considered to be First Class accommodations.
You're correct on that reference. However, all other references to sleeping car service that I found - timetables, the sleeper info page, and usage of Metropolitan Lounges and other special waiting rooms - uses the terms "Sleeping Car Service" or "Sleeper Service", replacing the previously-used "First Class".

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this will be a moot point.. First class as in the original terms from Pullman days usually meant a seperate, and very well appointed "lounge", and on some also a first class diner, It used to mean a trip seperate from coach passengers if you wished. It didn't include meals as it does today. I can see why they might down play first class because in real terms there is little of it on many long distance trains..

what ever they call it I like it. First class or sleeper service is really great. Hint its cost. I have gotten first class several times at a price I could afford. Now I'm spoiled and want it all the time when I travel by train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back