LIRR Service to Grand Central

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clearance, power and signaling have been ongoing.... I teach classes in the electrical trade, and when power went live, I had some students that were re assigned, no apprentices on live track, and if trains are running, workers generally require track safety certification from the agency in charge of the track (NYC-TA MTA LIRR MTA MNRR) I surmise one exists for PATH, but I don't know anyone that has taken it.

Will the station "below" Grand Central have a separate entrance, or will passengers use the Grand Central entrance hall? I would like to take a train from Grand Central one day!

Will the station "below" Grand Central have a separate entrance, or will passengers use the Grand Central entrance hall? I would like to take a train from Grand Central one day!
If you believe the Wikipedia page, there will be several street entrances leading to the new station, as well as entrances from inside the current Grand Central. So it looks like the answer to your question is "both."

Last edited:
I didn't think it would actually happen in my lifetime.

It boggles the mind that it has taken almost 33 years for the 63rd Street Tunnel to finally be fully operational.

Now if the MTA can pull this off ( they say 2027 )

https://new.mta.info/project/penn-station-access
Transit improvements in Manhattan move at a pace that makes a snail look like Secretariat ( Second Avenue Subway )

34th Street–Hudson Yards station opened 7 years ago and today it has become one of the busiest stations in the city as the Manhatten West development has exploded.

We will never see a direct link between Grand Central and Penn Station and I pray that the North River Tunnels and Portal Bridge connecting NYP and New Jersey are upgraded in my lifetime.

We will never see a direct link between Grand Central and Penn Station and I pray that the North River Tunnels and Portal Bridge connecting NYP and New Jersey are upgraded in my lifetime.
I still think the best way to go, would be to extend the ESA tunnels a few more blocks south, and then connect them to the existing tunnels, or add new ones into Penn Station. And they should build connections from the new station beneath Grand Central up to the existing Park Avenue tunnels. This would offer tremendous flexibility for future thru services, or althernates in case of major service disruptions on any line...

As understood once waater tunnel #3 is finished and connects to WT #1 south of NYPS then maybe new East River tunnel bores 5 and 6 can go by WT #1.
The "choke point" for going east-west is Sixth Avenue. WT#1, the Sixth Avenue subway, many utility lines, south of 34th street the PATH tracks. Any connection would need to be very deep to avoid these.

I looked at the new schedules and I don't think they are too bad. This would have shaved a lot of time off my 40-ish years of commuting since I had to backtrack from Penn to Midtown East almost my entire career. (Trying really, really hard to resist doing the math out of curiosity...)

Back