First Meal on Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memphisdoug

Train Attendant
The Coast Starlight leaves Seattle at 9:45 AM for our upcoming trip. We are sleeping car passengers. Will breakfast be served on that first morning or will our first meal be lunch? Is there anywhere where you can look up what meals are included with any given route? Thanks!

The Coast Starlight leaves Seattle at 9:45 AM for our upcoming trip. We are sleeping car passengers. Will breakfast be served on that first morning or will our first meal be lunch? Is there anywhere where you can look up what meals are included with any given route? Thanks!
Aloha

I have never ridden the CS southbound, but I am, in July. I don't expect breakfast at departure, first meal time will be lunch. Also for northbound as that is 10:??.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a frequent rider of the Coast Starlight, and the first meal served onboard (either direction) is lunch.

There is no specific reference available on meals to specific routes. However, meal service onboard is at traditional meal times, with the APPROXIMATE times breakfast being 6:30-9:30, lunch 11:30-1:30, dinner 4:30-8:00 (8:30 sometimes). The meals onboard are keyed to time, so if you onboard at lunchtime, lunch is served, whether or not the train is late.

So on the full route of the Coast Starlight, in either direction, the meals served are Day 1: Lunch, Dinner, Day 2: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.

And meals start based on the local time where the train is at. So the next meal after leaving Spokane eastbound starts on MT. And if a meal crosses a time zone line enroute, it is served and ends based upon the time zone where the meal began! ;)

And meals start based on the local time where the train is at. So the next meal after leaving Spokane eastbound starts on MT. And if a meal crosses a time zone line enroute, it is served and ends based upon the time zone where the meal began! ;)
Nice analogy Traveler. I always feel sorry for the # 20 crew as they serve out of Anniston (change fro CDT to EDT) and have to feed the hoardes getting on in Atlanta. There are days when the extra SA doesn't board until Atlanta instead of B'ham~ makes for a hard night's work! :huh:

Nice analogy Traveler. I always feel sorry for the # 20 crew as they serve out of Anniston (change fro CDT to EDT) and have to feed the hoardes getting on in Atlanta. There are days when the extra SA doesn't board until Atlanta instead of B'ham~ makes for a hard night's work! :huh:
Do they offer dinner on #20 out of Atlanta? An on time departure would put it close to the end of dinner on EDT.

Do they offer dinner on #20 out of Atlanta? An on time departure would put it close to the end of dinner on EDT.
YES. ITS STARTS AT 5PM CT TIME AND ENDS AFTER ATLANTA AT 9PM ET.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back