North East Corridor (NEC) night train and sleeper journey

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to share a few thoughts and pictures from my overnight journey from BOS - WAS on the inaugural return of sleeper cars to the NE Regional 65-67.
I would put this in the trip reports, but I thought it might spark additional conversation.
Miles in Transit (who had a roomette next to mine booked only from BOS to BBY) has a video out.

Arriving at South Station and being able to wait in the lounge is a plus. Amtrak lounges are great, and often staffed by wonderful people. This was no exception.
They offered to check my bags, but I did not have any luggage aside from my instrument and backpack.

The sleeper car was the first car at the front of the train, so it was quite a walk, especially since tracks have been shortened at SS due to construction. I must admit, the cars are old, but from the outside, they look great!
View attachment 21534View attachment 21539View attachment 21533

I am sorry to report the my roomette was dirty when I arrived. The floor had not been thoroughly vacuumed, and while the seats were clean, the table and all other surfaces had to be wiped down. This was different from my November trip aboard the Cal Zephyr, which was overall a well cleaned room and pleasant trip.
The train departed and arrived on time, and station stops were exactly as planned, with the exception of New Haven, which lasted longer than scheduled. I was genuinely surprised how well patronized the train was, especially at the Providence stop. About 50 people boarded the train there.

In the morning, the "continental breakfast" they offered was abysmal. It was a cracker, a muffin, with a bottle of Fiji water (the best thing in the box) with a Kind Breakfast bar. The box they offer is identical on the outside to the Acela First Class "snack box," just much worse.

My experience at Union Station was positive, though the Acela Lounge there is quite a letdown. I expected cleaner seats (crumbs were all over some of them) and cleaner bathrooms (someone left the men's room a mess in more ways than one).

My Acela return journey after brief business in DC was great. The train was on time every step of the way, and Amtrak's Acela product is obviously fine tuned and very good. I would say business class offers the best value, as first class really is not much different with the exception of food (but during covid times, there's basically no difference). It was especially fun to take advantage of the 20 minute NYP stop and check out the new station.
View attachment 21540View attachment 21541View attachment 21542

By far the biggest let down of the sleeper train however, is the full volume diatribes the took place at every single major stop throughout the journey (the worst was NYP; that announcement lasted 2 minutes).
How is anyone in the sleeper car supposed to get consistent sleep. I doubt anyone who books a sleeper car is getting out at any of the intermediate destinations (especially NYP).
Doesn't Amtrak have a moratorium on announcements after 9 p.m.? I know that this train is technically a corridor train, but when I last road the sleeper version in 2001, there were no announcements after New London.

Overall a big disappointment, despite this being a much desired service. Will I take it again? Definitely. Will I recommend it? Maybe not to everyone.
Thoughts on the announcements and food service?
Amtrak will go to the ends of the world to make sure they mess up a good idea... in this case a return to the 'Night Owl.' How much did it cost? Did they pay you to clean up the room you paid for??? Did those midnight announcements help you to sleep better? And was that bottle of Fiji water the best part of the trip?

Sounds like the service... is really 'watered down.'

1621654228704.png

Could Superliner equipment get between ALB and BOS what with that one tunnel and the catenaries?

No. I think Worcester is as far east as they can go. Back in 2008, Good Morning America had their Whistle Stop Tour which used a special train with Superliners (the consist was two P42s, an NPCU (90225, specially modified with dome antennas for broadcasting while on the road), three superliners, two sightseer lounges, a transdorm, and two private cars) touring the country. They were unable to go to Boston and had to settle for Worcester instead, because that's as far as the Superliners could go. Some of the bridges east of Worcester are too low for the Superliners.

Re the volume issue... time for another plug for gaffer's tape. Gaffers tape plus paper napkins make a great ad hoc volume control.

Gaffer's tape - the tape that keeps Amtrak habitable...

Gaffer's tape is expensive, but I guarantee that it's worth it. It's strong, removes cleanly, and the adhesive leaves no residue.

No. I think Worcester is as far east as they can go. Back in 2008, Good Morning America had their Whistle Stop Tour which used a special train with Superliners (the consist was two P42s, an NPCU (90225, specially modified with dome antennas for broadcasting while on the road), three superliners, two sightseer lounges, a transdorm, and two private cars) touring the country. They were unable to go to Boston and had to settle for Worcester instead, because that's as far as the Superliners could go. Some of the bridges east of Worcester are too low for the Superliners.

Gaffer's tape is expensive, but I guarantee that it's worth it. It's strong, removes cleanly, and the adhesive leaves no residue.

I read that Superliners can get as far as just outside Back Bay (barely), so theoretically, you could have a superliner train terminate at Landsdowne. This story does sound interesting though. I could be wrong.

Back when that Good Morning America train ran, Lansdowne was named Yawkey, and only had a side platform on track 2.

I think that the superliners might have issues with the bridges over by the Newton stops, but they might also fit just fine, because it's entirely possible that no one has actually measured with a measuring tape, the height of those bridges above the rail head (due to settling, compacting, reballasting, etc, the height can change from what they set it to when the maintenance on the RoW was done). A few years ago, when the AAPRCO had their Pine Tree Limited tour over the MBTA, it was always *assumed* that the full dome cars would not clear the bridges on the Lowell line, but someone insisted that they try it anyway, and sent someone out there with a tape measure. They found that if they proceeded at a reduced speed, the dome cars would clear the bridges on the Lowell line between North Station and West Medford by a couple inches, so as long as the cars didn't rock, they'd clear the bridges just fine, and that's what they did.

Back when that Good Morning America train ran, Lansdowne was named Yawkey, and only had a side platform on track 2.

I think that the superliners might have issues with the bridges over by the Newton stops, but they might also fit just fine, because it's entirely possible that no one has actually measured with a measuring tape, the height of those bridges above the rail head (due to settling, compacting, reballasting, etc, the height can change from what they set it to when the maintenance on the RoW was done). A few years ago, when the AAPRCO had their Pine Tree Limited tour over the MBTA, it was always *assumed* that the full dome cars would not clear the bridges on the Lowell line, but someone insisted that they try it anyway, and sent someone out there with a tape measure. They found that if they proceeded at a reduced speed, the dome cars would clear the bridges on the Lowell line between North Station and West Medford by a couple inches, so as long as the cars didn't rock, they'd clear the bridges just fine, and that's what they did.

Interesting. I was just on the Worcester Line and I tried to guess the height of the bridges. MBTA duplex cars are 15' 6" if I remember correctly, and Superliners are 16' 2". There was definitely at least of a foot of clearance for the MBTA cars, so maybe the supers would have about 3-4 inches of clearance, which I would guess would not be enough.

It really doesn't matter. They bring nothing to the table. The train goes to Albany and becomes part of the Lake Shore. Unless Mass were somehow convinced to pay for a separate train Superliners have no purpose on this route, as well as adding a bunch of orphan cars at each end, making service a PITA.

It really doesn't matter. They bring nothing to the table. The train goes to Albany and becomes part of the Lake Shore. Unless Mass were somehow convinced to pay for a separate train Superliners have no purpose on this route, as well as adding a bunch of orphan cars at each end, making service a PITA.

Half the stuff we talk about doesn’t really matter. It’s more just for the fun of thinking if Superliners COULD make it.

Consist tonight consists of power, baggage car, Viewliner I sleeper, cafe car w/biz class, and four coaches. I think the sleeper used to be on the rear (?), so that's a nice development.

The SCA seems to know what he's doing, and the snack box looks good.

Consist tonight consists of power, baggage car, Viewliner I sleeper, cafe car w/biz class, and four coaches. I think the sleeper used to be on the rear (?), so that's a nice development.

The SCA seems to know what he's doing, and the snack box looks good.

The four times I’ve taken it now (including the inaugural) the sleeper has been the first car after baggage.

Zero announcements, and I got my complimentary Woodford on the rocks. Night y'all

Overall it was a good experience. Tracks between Baltimore and NYP can definitely be a bit rough, but otherwise it felt like any other LD Viewliner sleeper train. I would definitely take again, especially on a day like today when flight delays are likely and I want to maximize my time in the city.

Last edited:
Tracks between Baltimore and NYP can definitely be a bit rough,
The tracks aren't rough, it's just that the train was probably going 110 mph most of the time. Now the short stretch between the Baltimore station and the mouth of the B&P Tunnel, that's some rough tracks, even at the slow speed the train is doing there.

The tracks aren't rough, it's just that the train was probably going 110 mph most of the time. Now the short stretch between the Baltimore station and the mouth of the B&P Tunnel, that's some rough tracks, even at the slow speed the train is doing there.
And arriving at Wilmington northbound.

Well whatever it is, the rough spots are amplified when sleeping on a Viewliner vs sitting in a seat on the Acela. Certain points felt similar to the Buckingham Branch section of the Cardinal.

I'm not complaining, just conveying an observation.

Well whatever it is, the rough spots are amplified when sleeping on a Viewliner vs sitting in a seat on the Acela. Certain points felt similar to the Buckingham Branch section of the Cardinal.

I'm not complaining, just conveying an observation.

I saw your train this morning when I hopped on the 8:05 southbound Acela. Love seeing sleepers more frequently at SS. Really makes the station feel like it matters again.

Last edited:
Any other anecdotal or concrete reports on sleeping car occupancy? The GF has been flying recently so no new Amtrak reports on this end.
On my WAS-BOS trip on Train 66 leaving WAS on May 25, the sleeping car attendant said we had 11 passengers.

How they were arranged in the bedrooms and roomettes, I don't know. I also don't know where they got on and off. At least one of the 11 passengers rode from NYP-BOS only.

Amtrak will go to the ends of the world to make sure they mess up a good idea... in this case a return to the 'Night Owl.' How much did it cost? Did they pay you to clean up the room you paid for??? Did those midnight announcements help you to sleep better? And was that bottle of Fiji water the best part of the trip?

Sounds like the service... is really 'watered down.'

I've only ridden western Amtrak trains and thus don't know much about Amtrak east of the Mississippi.
The other day I was browsing through the movie lineup on my YouTube movie channel and came across something called "A Hotel on Rails?". It was a about a couple who took the Acela "Night Owl", Washington, DC to Boston.

https://is.gd/3a6hdn
Probably "old hat" to Acela travellers, But I thought it interesting. Some impressions from the video:

I was impressed by Washington Union Station. The beautiful old building and the many modern shops (even a Wallgreens) and restaurants inside. The "ClubAcela" lounge was interesting. The guy, in the video, just pushed a button to get in. At the Metropolitan Lounge, at Portland Union Station, you would to show your Amtrak ticket to a guy sitting at a desk, upon entering.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to skip the breakfast box meal, in your room, and just go to the Cafe car, as shown in the video. I would think better and warmer food. I guess the couple's sleeping problems would occur on any Amtrak overnight train. Is the DC to Boston run especially bumpy?
Getting back to the overnight sleepers on the NEC...

Here is what I sent to Amtrak after riding Boston to DC and then back two days later. I wouldn’t do it again.

My wife and I took the 67 train from Boston to Washington DC on Wednesday, April 14th, in a roomette. The roomette was still in day mode, which was fine. Our car attendant was quite pleasant and offered us an alcoholic beverage. He said he’d return with them shortly. Then, he made an announcement that the café car attendant was new and couldn’t get our drinks. Our room was made up and we went to bed. There were station stop announcements along the way that made it hard to sleep. After New London, there was an announcement that no more station stops calls would be made, but they continued anyway. We could not turn them off. This is a sleeper car and announcements prevent sleeping! In the morning, we never got our breakfast box. Our car attendant said we could go to the café car, but then there was an announcement that the café was closed. We never got any breakfast on the trip; we got coffee anyway at least. We arrived in Washington DC on time. This was a very disappointing trip.

We took the 66 train back on Friday, April 16th, in a bedroom. There was initial confusion before boarding when an Amtrak employee (not a red cap) guided us from the lounge to board, but then the on-board staff said the rooms weren’t ready and we couldn’t go to our room yet. There was some back and forth among the Amtrak staff that clearly demonstrated miscommunication. The room was in day mode, which was fine. Our car attendant was very pleasant again, but said this was his first time doing this run and he had his instructions in his hand. He offered us an alcoholic beverage but it was late so we declined. After we left the station, we called him and he made up our room. He also brought us our breakfast boxes then. Unfortunately, we discovered the next morning that some of the items should be refrigerated, so they should not be brought up the night before. We heard no announcements on this trip, which was an improvement. We arrived in Boston on time. This was a slightly better trip than the trip down, but still disappointing.

For both trips, the ride was quite rough, which made sleeping difficult. I’m glad we tried these trains, but given the service lapses and difficulty sleeping on rough tracks, we will take the Acela instead. I hope you find ways to improve training of staff on these trains regarding food and beverage service. There probably isn’t much you can do about the tracks.
The other night, I was scanning some of the movies offered on my YouTube TV channel. I came across this video, "A Hotel on Rails?":

https://is.gd/3a6hdn
I've never taken any Amtrak train in the eastern US, so the video on the Acela Night Owl, Washington, DC to Boston, at least for me was interesting.

I was impressed by the Union Station in DC. Grand old building. I also liked the "big board" showing train departures and arrivals. Also, the many shops, stores (even a Wallgreens) and restaurants around the concourse. I also was impressed by the easy access to the AcelaClub lounge. It looked like the guy just pressed a button to get in, saying that it was easily accessable because he had roomette accommodations. When I last visited the Metropolitan Lounge, at the Amtrak Portland, OR Union station, you had to show your overnight ticket or Bus. Class ticket to a guy sitting at a desk, just to remain in the lounge. The breakfast box that was served to the couple didn't look that appetizing. As they mentioned in the video, wouldn't it be better to skip the box breakfast and journey to the Cafe car for, hopefully, better and warmer breakfast snacks. I think the problems the couple had in sleeping are probably not any different than with any other Amtrak overnight train. Is the DC to Boston track especially bumpy? I like to take along some "Unisom" (over-the-counter) tablets to help me sleep for overnight travel. It seems to work okay for me.

Back