Quantcast

First P40 Seen Out of Beech Grove

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

cpamtfan

OBS Chief
I was watching a Youtube video of the Hoosier State and what happens to be on it the P40DC 821! Video is currently on RAILROAD.NET.

NEW RIVER GEORGE

Train Attendant
Good catch, that answers a lot of questions that inquring minds had been wondering about. I can't believe I missed it by one day!

Dutchrailnut

Conductor
I've heard that the P40's will be used for the Auto Train. How true is that??
You mean like on a scale from 1 to 10? :)
The P40's will most likely be kept at one maintenance base and in captive service, which means either Auto train or the New Haven based Springfield line.

Both make sense , Autotrain as it was last hold out on P40's and New Haven because they already run 8 former Amtrak units in SLE service right there.

battalion51

Conductor
Word on the street is that the motors now have ACSES on them and will primarily be working out of New Haven, which would make sense. You need seven motors (minimum) to keep things rolling out of New Haven (three Shuttle sets, two Vermonter sets with two motors on each). With the number of motors they're refurbing New Haven makes sense. Auto Train makes sense back in the day since they powered the Sunset as well with their allotment, but since the Sunset doesn't go to Sanford anymore...

832 is out now, too. It came in on the Hoosier State this morning sandwiched between P42s 47 and 18. They were all still latched together at Chicago when I passed them on 365 around noon.

Acela150

Conductor
It will be a while before we see the P40's running on their own. It looks like for the first few months that they're out they will be put on the Hoosier State as BG isn't far from IND. DUH!

AmtrakPDX

Train Attendant
OK Veterans...

Is there site/resource newbies can go to to see and read (data?) the differences between these horses?

TIA

MikeM

OBS Chief
Did they convert the brakes on them?
Still conventional brakes as before, they upgraded pretty much everything else to P42 standard. One of these units was on display at the Amtrak Town Hall meeting tonight. The shop manager we talked with said that they had wanted to change to electronic brakes on the last two engines to be rebuilt, but that the time to get the parts would have stretched the rebuild out too long to hit their deadlines. However, they did make a number of other upgrades, which I didn't catch the specifics of, including upgrading all of the cab displays and equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

daveleritz

Honestly, I wouldn't know the difference between an F40, P40, G40 or WD40.

...but I am good with numbers. 8-3-2

T

Town Hall

So how did the town hall meeting go or is there already a thread on that somewhere else?