first time-Acela First Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HARHBG

Service Attendant
Just experienced first trip on Acela, First Class from Philadelphia to Providence. Nice equipment, nice interior, food service was just okay, mhad the dinner stuffed sole with crab. Reminded me of First Class food service on TWA. (Yes, it really has been that long ago since I've flown :giggle: )

The one thing that did surprise me was the alcohol served with seemingly no limits. If a real hard-core Madison Ave type "Mad Men" got on board they could easily drink their ticket price between Washington and Boston. No "Amtrak Cost-Cutting" apparent on this train.

Sadly, as for "High-Speed Rail".............the track was smooth enough to allow us a few spurts of speed, VERY INFREQUENTLY.

Maybe that's the reason for the non-stop alcohol? HA!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you that the Acela sets are limited to 150 for about 36 miles. Mostly in RI and part of Mass. Between WAS-NYP it's limited to 135 due to catenary and other factors. But last I knew that was suspended due to ACSES being cut out over the sections of 135 territory. So they are reduced to 125.

I should also add that I hope you used the lounge in Philly. Breakfast is the better meals on AE. Although I've had better lunch/dinners. The snacks used to be served in the china bowls. Last time I rode it was served in a foil bag. That was April. But yep, that booze is included in your upgrade price.

We still like the Northeast Regional. For the price, the Acela trips were not that much better. Too expensive!

Well I only did it to ride the Acela. Glad I did as I now know that yes, it's overpriced for what it is and I won't need to bother with it again.

I WAS amazed to see that NOT ONE person left the attendant in the First Class car a tip. NOT ONE, I paid close attention. On my return from PVD to HAR, via PHL it was late in the evening, after 10:00 PM, and many had gotten off at NYP so I had time and the service attendants had time to talk so I asked them about no tips. They told me the cheapest ***'s are rich people, no matter where you go. A bit of a revelation for me.

P.S. I gave each of them a $5 and told them to have a beer on me, HA!

Back