First time Amtrak travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I found this message board. From the posts, looks like there are some very experienced train travelers here.

My first train travel was in 1959 on the California Zephyr. Was only 4 then, and don't remember much....other than getting my finger shut in a pneumatic door.

This Thanksgiving the wife and I are going Amtrak from Atlanta- New Orleans- El Paso. (RT) We're both looking forward to some relaxed travel. And if the train is late, it'll just give us more time to look around town. Here's a question- does Amtrak have a customer service # to check & see how late a certain train might be? I looked on the Amtrak site & searched this forum. Maybe I'd have to call the Amtrak station in that particular town?

I've been soaking up a lot of knowlege from this site. Hope you folks don't mind some simple questions.

Thanks!

Hank,

Welcome!

Just call the Amtrak 800 number 1-800-872-7245, Julie (the computer), will give you the current status of any Amtrak train. Julie uses a voice recognition system, so you don't have to punch 10,000 numbers to get the info you want. If you simply speak clearly she will work just fine for you.

You can also get the on-time status from Amtrak’s website if you prefer to use your computer. Just click here to go to the page.

AlanB- thanks for the info! That 1-800 number looks like a winner. Gave it a try, and it works great. It may give us an extra hour or two to find a new restaraunt, visit an antique (junk) store, or just loaf around elsewhere.

We're looking forward to this trip so much, knowing that we won't be waiting for hours in security & ticket lines, crammed into a tiny airline coach seat, and treated like cattle. (The only consolation is that it's completed quickly)

When we visit my dad, it will be interesting to hear his train travel stories from WWII. Will have videos of the trip to show him & compare.

Thanks again, and I know more Q's will pop up later.

Hank

Hank,

You're more than welcome. Don't hesitate to come back and ask if you have anymore questions.

In the meantime you might also want to check out this list of Hints and Tips from the On Track On Line website. You may also wish to visit the OTOL trip report page located here. This might help to give you some idea of what to expect for your trip. Of course should any of the above also raise some more questions, again don't hesitate to ask. :)

Otherwise have a great trip and be sure to come back to let us know how it went. :lol:

Hank said:
Glad I found this message board. From the posts, looks like there are some very experienced train travelers here.
My first train travel was in 1959 on the California Zephyr. Was only 4 then, and don't remember much....other than getting my finger shut in a pneumatic door.

This Thanksgiving the wife and I are going Amtrak from Atlanta- New Orleans- El Paso. (RT) We're both looking forward to some relaxed travel. And if the train is late, it'll just give us more time to look around town. Here's a question- does Amtrak have a customer service # to check & see how late a certain train might be? I looked on the Amtrak site & searched this forum. Maybe I'd have to call the Amtrak station in that particular town?

I've been soaking up a lot of knowlege from this site. Hope you folks don't mind some simple questions.

Thanks!
From Atlanta, you'd be on the Crescent down to NOL, spend the night in NOL at a hotel and then grab the Sunset Limited to ElPaso.

I was going to do that until I found I had to sleep over in NOL, instead mom's b/f came down from Atlanta and we drove up. (mom lives in Smyrna!)

1800USARAIL will get you updates. It's a weird automated system. I don't like it that much. Talking to a fake person...ugh.

It's a nice ride from NOL to ElPaso..takes forever to get INTO ElPaso because of Union Pacific. We got in 3-4hrs late then the crap we sat thru in ElP mase up 6 hrs late!

But that's ok cause i like riding and everthing that goeswith rails...

Hank, I live in Atlanta and travel the Crescent with some frequency. You need to know that the scenery will start to get very interesting once you leave Slidell, LA. You get into the bayou, swampland country, at dusk--and it can be quite interesting. If you sit on the rright handside of the train you will perhaps see a little more scenery, such as downtown Birmingham and downtown Meridian. IF--that is IF- the train is on time, you can stretch your k legs at those two cities. The station in Meridian is sort of interesting--it has been restored in recent years. I am not suggesting that the Crescent is usually late(the Sunet IS usually late; the Crescent is not)just suggesting be careful about getting off a a station stop unless the attendant says it is ok. Of course the whole concept of needing to stretch your legs is not as meaningful on a train anyway. They get plenty of stretching just by your walking around. ALso, if the train leaves ATL on time you may be able to get breakfast in the diner, whcih is usually a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back