First Time Long Distance Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings Fellow Train Enthusiasts
We are looking to travel from GBB to FLG on 15th March. 2 Adults 2 kids. The fares for 2 roomette is 2000 and 2 bedroom is 2800. Ideally we want a Family bedroom so all 4 can be in one bedroom. I called amtrak booking phone number, was not very helpful. The gist is to keep looking and pounce on it once anybody cancels. Any Tips suggestions. First time long distance in US so feel free to drop in any advice. Traveling with a 12 yo and 7 yo girls. My wife says she is not looking forward to travel with 3 kids :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Cheers..

How tall are your children? Two of the beds in the Family Room are fairly short (under 5 feet I believe).

I would not wait until a Family Room became available. I would book 2 bedrooms next to each other (E and D or C and B), which can connect into a suite. Also, you would have in-room restroom facilities.

Last edited:
I agree with Penny--book a Bedroom Suite. You may find it cheaper than $2800, but that is not outrageous for one of the largest rooms available on American rails. In a Suite, you'll have all kinds of places to sit, plenty of windows, and could even leave one bed down.

Also, if you can be flexible at all, it might be a good idea to check a few days before or after your first choice, as you may find lower fares.

Definitely the bedroom suite would be a nicer accommodation than the family room, and it does look like you could book two bedrooms for $2,884 on 3/15, which is actually less than the price ($3,364) available on the preceding and following departures (3/13 and 3/18). You'd want to book by phone to make sure you get a pair of rooms that can be made into a suite.

If the cost of a suite is too high, another option would be two roomettes across the hall from each other. But the rooms are much smaller, beds are narrower, and you'd have to use communal bathrooms rather than having your own. Price for two roomettes when I checked just now was $2,200 departing on 3/15, or $1,966 if departing 3/13 or 3/18.

If your travel dates are flexible, there is a family room available on the 3/18 departure for $1,766. Besides cost savings, the advantages of the family room are that it's spacious -- the full width of the car, with more floor space than any other accommodation when the beds are folded up. Disadvantages: Smaller windows, it's on the lower level, and as with the roomettes, you have to use the communal toilets and shower. Also, as Pennyk points out, the two kid beds are a bit less than five feet in length (maybe 4'10"?), so they could be a tight fit if your 12-year-old is getting tall.

Once you get the rooms sorted out, it'll be time to think about things to take along to amuse your kids. One thing to be aware of is that you won't have wifi along most of the route, so if there are games and activities on phone/tablet/computer to be used, they will need to work without internet access. You might consider buying each of them an inexpensive point-and-shoot digital camera--we did this when we traveled with our granddaughter at age 6 and she was fascinated with taking pictures out the window. Kids are often not as impressed with scenery as adults are, but give them a camera and suddenly they're Ansel Adams! Also, they can document life on the train and practice their Instagram skills on the train meals...well, maybe, anyway.

Hello Guys, Thank you for al the suggestions. I really appreciate it. My daughters are 5 ft 7 inches and 4 ft. We really would like to book a family bedroom We will call amtrak on monday and see if we can book 2 bedrooms side by side. Please keep the suggestions coming. Its our first trip and we are excited.

If you value gazing at the scenery outside the window then be advised that the windows in the Family Bedroom are only half as wide as those in the Roomettes and Bedrooms as shown below:
Sleeper Kneespace.jpg
Your 5'7" tall daughter may find even the longest bunk bed in the Family Bedroom a bit on the short side:Superliner Family Bedroom.jpg

Last edited:
If you've not yet seen this, here's a floor diagram of your type of sleeper:
amtrak-diagram-superliner-sleeper.jpg
There are also many images and videos of the different rooms online, but be aware that you're likely to find some of Viewliner (single level) rooms mixed in with the Superliner (two level) rooms which may not be identified or misidentified. There are, however, no Family Bedrooms in a Viewliner car - only Roomettes and Bedrooms.

Here are all the fares I could find for your family trip over a period of about two months (which can possibly change from one day to the next):
• 2 Roomettes: $1278, 1512, 1730, 1966 and 2200
• Family Bedroom: $1176, 1367 (estimated) 1374, 1558, 1755 and 1953
• 2 Bedrooms: $1952, 2434, 2884, 3364 and 3846

Each of the three rooms has its own advantages and disadvantages. But once you decide and book the trip, keep on checking if you didn't get it at the lowest fare shown above. If the fare drops, call an agent and have the ticket modified to the new low fare. Be sure to say MODIFIED and not cancel.

Last edited:
If this were a round trip, I'd suggest you go in 2 BRs (doing the connecting rooms thing) one way and the family room the other. Then you'd experience both. Since this is your first trip and in only one direction, I'd splurge and do the connecting rooms unless you can get a good deal on the family room and if the price is an issue.

That's what I would do if it were me in that situation.

Our family of four travelled from LA to Eugene, OR and then from Portland to Whitefish, MT a few years back. At the time, our daughters were approximately the same age as your girls. We reserved 2 bedrooms that connected with one another. The arrangement worked well for us, letting mom and I sit on one side of the "suite" enjoying the passing scenery, while our daughters had their own space on the other side to read, play games, etc. with each other. It also allowed us to be together as family (and not separated into 2 roomettes) during the journey.

Hello Guys, Thank you for al the suggestions. I really appreciate it. My daughters are 5 ft 7 inches and 4 ft. We really would like to book a family bedroom We will call amtrak on monday and see if we can book 2 bedrooms side by side. Please keep the suggestions coming. Its our first trip and we are excited.
Don't underestimate the importance of having washing and shower facilities in the room. You may be better off with connecting bedrooms. If you are flexible with day of departure you may be able to get a better fare.

The food is poor so you may want to bring along fresh fruit and snacks. Do check things out... you may be better off if you do.

Agree. Taking a shower in a Bedroom's bathroom is easier to do than in using the shower on the lower level, particularly when the train is at speed or the roadbed is rough.
On the other hand, that downstairs shower has a lot more room. And it doesn't dump water all over the toilet seat and sometimes the not-always-protected TP.
Of course, with two bathrooms, one can be designated as shower-only and the other as toilet-only when it's shower time.

On the other hand, that downstairs shower has a lot more room. And it doesn't dump water all over the toilet seat and sometimes the not-always-protected TP.
Of course, with two bathrooms, one can be designated as shower-only and the other as toilet-only when it's shower time.

No question about the "wet conditions" in the bathroom after a shower. I arose before my traveling companion on one morning and took my shower. My traveling companion was not "a happy camper" when she arose and used the bathroom. (I did--I really did--try to wipe down the walls, seat, etc. Oh, yes, I do remember "hearing" about the somewhat soggy TP.)

Wow. Didn't knew that. Read that Family Bedroom spans the whole width of coach so thought would be nice to have views both sides. So many parameters to optimize...
This is true - however, you should consider that while the spanned family bedroom does allow viewing from both sides of the train, it is on the lower level, which cancels out some of that benefit. A trip to the sightseer lounge will alleviate the constant view of tree trunks and peoples legs in train stations. The family bedroom also doesn't have a private restroom, but being on the lower level, you will share the shower and restrooms with fewer people.

Maybe split the cost by purchasing a bedroom and a roomette? Throw the kids in the tiny room, bags and family time in the bedroom.

Just plan for the worst, expect mediocrity and hopefully your experience will exceed all those expectations.

Hello All, Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. We went with Family Bedroom. We watched youtube videos of both family bedroom and bedroom and we all agreed that we would rather save the 1100 $ and use it somewhere else. We booked April 10th and got the family bedroom for 1755. 2 adjoining bedroom would have been 2884. So now the tickets out of the way, any suggestions during the trip and after getting out of flagstaff? We have been to GC before, but girls want to go there for one more time. So a quick trip to GC and than 2 days in sedona. 2 Days in Tucson . We still have 1 day open. Any suggestions? BTW, we are flying back. I was up for taking the tucson BNL texas eagle, but I dont know if I would have survived the wrath of the gals. I think If they like this trip, we plan to do at least 1 cross country trip per year (Hoping our leaders dont scrap the long distance trains). Cheers

Between Sedona and Tucson is the Phoenix area, which has a number of interesting places to visit. I would recommend visiting the Mystery Castle, a bizarre house cobbled together from odds and ends, with a weird and romantic story behind its construction. The history behind the Mystery Castle, a whimsical sandcastle come to life in the Arizona desert Another worthwhile stop in Phoenix is the Desert Botanical Garden. The Museum of Musical Instruments is a great stop, too--you put on headphones and as you approach the exhibits, your headphones automatically start playing the music in question. We knew of its existence for the many times we visited Phoenix but never stopped till about three years ago. We've been back twice since then, it's that good. In Scottsdale are the Odysea Aquarium and adjacent Butterfly Wonderland. A little pricey, but good family fun with a little education baked in.

You'll want to break up the roadtrip from Sedona to Tucson, I suspect, and Phoenix makes the most sense. We love the Verde Canyon region, Clarksdale, and Jerome, but I think those are more for adults than kids.

I have stayed in the Family Bedroom twice, but never with a family. I think you will have fun! I would suggest that you plan on leaving most of your luggage as you board on the luggage rack, which is just a few steps away from the Family Bedroom. There is a small "closet" in the room where you can hang a few things. Bring a power strip with at least a six foot cord. I actually like being downstairs--I don't think the view is that much degraded, you're close to three toilets and the shower, and you're right near the door so it's easy to step off at all the fresh air stops:

Gallup, NM*

Albuquerque, NM*

Raton, NM*

La Junta, CO*

Kansas City, MO*

Fort Madison, IA*

While Phoenix does indeed make sense because it's on the shortest (228 mile) route between Sedona and Tucson, were I to do it again I'd avoid the Kamikaze-like traffic on I-17 and I-10 through the middle of Phoenix and head from Sedona to the ancient cliff dwelling at the Tonto National Monument. . . Tonto National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) . . .which is off the beaten path 135 miles from Sedona and the same distance from there to Tuscon. It adds about two hours and 40 miles to the shortest trip but eliminates all but about 12 miles of Interstate driving.
IMG_1208a.JPG
That way, your kids can brag they've also been to Dudleyville!

Last edited:
In Tucson, don't miss the Arizona-Sedona Desert Museum. And near there, the Sweetwater Preserve is a very special place for a walk. Download a map before you go, the trails are well-marked, and early morning (as soon as it's light enough to see where you're going) is the best time for walking there.

Back