First-time long-distance trip!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all!

For my first Amtrak experience, I'll be traveling from Salt Lake City to Erie, PA. I'll board the California Zephyr in Salt Lake City at 3:30 am, then transfer to the Lake Shore Limited in Chicago. I'll be riding coach (that low, low ticket price was too tantalizing to pass up). As someone who is very low-maintenance and has managed to sleep soundly for the duration of cramped cross-country airplane rides, I don't think I will have any trouble in coach on Amtrak. I've already read a lot of beginner Amtrak tips, but I would like your input on some things.

1: The schedule has me arriving in Chicago at about 3 pm, while my Lake Shore Limited bus leaves from there at 9:30 p.m. I know how notorious trains can be at being late, but what do you think the odds are that my SLC -> Chicago train will actually make it on time for me to get to my transfer? Salt Lake City to Chicago is a lot of space for delays to happen. I believe this would be a guaranteed transfer, so if I missed the Lake Shore Limited if the CZ is late, Amtrak would be responsible for helping me complete my journey, is that right?

2: Does anyone have any experience with Union Station in Erie PA? I know it's probably a tiny stop on the Lake Shore's route. (I would supposedly arrive in Erie at 7:15 am, does anyone have experience on the Lake Shore Limited to offer whether I'd actually get there on time, or does it tend to run at a certain lateness?)

3: From what I've researched, the Intermodal Hub in Salt Lake City seems like a pretty tiny station, and I imagine since I'll be boarding in the middle of the night that it is considered a pretty quick stop for the CZ. Any tips or advice on boarding at such an odd hour?

4: I learned that there is no checked baggage service in Erie or on the LAke Shore Limited bus in general, but there is checked baggage on the CZ. Any thoughts on maybe checking a bag from SLC -> Chicago, then using it as a carry-on on the Lake Shore Limited (i.e. Only having one actual carry-on from SLC -> Chicago, then 2 from Chicago -> Erie), or would I just be better off not checking any of them at any time?

I'm a laid-back person, and delays and surprises don't bother me much. I will have family picking me up at the train station in Erie though and will want to let them know ASAP if the itinerary changes.

Thanks for any tips or insight!

I think you'd be better off not checking baggage at all--then you don't have to worry about your bag. And you'll want to keep up with the progress of the CZ prior to your Salt Lake City stop--if it's running late, you don't want to be cooling your heels at 0 dark thirty at Salt Lake City before you have to be there.
Your onward connection will be guaranteed if it's on one ticket, so in the event that the train is running very late, they will create a bus bridge to enable you to catch your connection. Of course, the gap between the two routes means that you're probably going to be fine regardless. The good news is that, once you're on the last leg of your trip, you should have good cellphone coverage available so that if anything creates a delay, you can contact your family and let them know. Except in extraordinary circumstances, you should be fine! Enjoy the trip and let us know how it went!

Salt Lake is a service and crew change stop, so it isn't a short stop even if the train is late.

The CZ is the only train that serves Salt Lake. And it is a major stop. Just go to the trailer waiting room and wait for boarding announcements. It is scheduled as a 25 minute stop and even if late it will probably take a minimum of 15 minutes to service the train.

The connection between 6 and 48 at Chicago is pretty good. According to the ASMAD, it only missed 3 out of 94 times since April 16th.

The connection is guaranteed and if missed Amtrak will put you up in a hotel and put you on the next day's Lake Shore. A 6 to 48 bus bridge is doubtful.

Do NOT short check your bag to Chicago. If the Zephyr is late you may not have time to wait for your bag, claim it, and board the Lake Shore . If that is the case you will be faced with the choice of leaving your bag in Chicago or missing your train. The shortest recent successful connection of 6 to 48 was 10 minutes, with 6 arriving at 9:45 and 48 leaving at 9:55. They undoubtedly held 48 for 6's passengers. If you miss your train because you were waiting to claim a short checked bag Amtrak will not take responsibility under the guarantee. You will be stuck on your own in Chicago.

Your family can check status on the website or by using Julie's automation at 800-USA-RAIL. You can as well for 6's arrival at SLC.

You can check connection history yourself at:
https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/connections.php

Salt Lake is a service and crew change stop, so it isn't a short stop even if the train is late.

The CZ is the only train that serves Salt Lake. And it is a major stop. Just go to the trailer waiting room and wait for boarding announcements. It is scheduled as a 25 minute stop and even if late it will probably take a minimum of 15 minutes to service the train.

The connection between 6 and 48 at Chicago is pretty good. According to the ASMAD, it only missed 3 out of 94 times since April 16th.

The connection is guaranteed and if missed Amtrak will put you up in a hotel and put you on the next day's Lake Shore. A 6 to 48 bus bridge is doubtful.

Do NOT short check your bag to Chicago. If the Zephyr is late you may not have time to wait for your bag, claim it, and board the Lake Shore . If that is the case you will be faced with the choice of leaving your bag in Chicago or missing your train. The shortest recent successful connection of 6 to 48 was 10 minutes, with 6 arriving at 9:45 and 48 leaving at 9:55. They undoubtedly held 48 for 6's passengers. If you miss your train because you were waiting to claim a short checked bag Amtrak will not take responsibility under the guarantee. You will be stuck on your own in Chicago.

Your family can check status on the website or by using Julie's automation at 800-USA-RAIL. You can as well for 6's arrival at SLC.

You can check connection history yourself at:
https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/connections.php
Best advice!

Thanks for the advice, flitcraft and Zephyr17! I will definitely not check a bag, then. I do prefer knowing exactly where my stuff is, anyway.

I'll be busing to SLC from where I live in Idaho and arrive in SLC about 4:30 p.m. Have a dinner date planned with a friend there with plenty of time to get to the bus. That's good to know about the Salt Lake stop! I've heard some horror stories about really short stops and people being caught off-guard and missing the train.

I'm actually moving back to my native Pennsylvania after about a decade out west (shipping most stuff to PA, just bringing necessaries on the train), and I figured this would be a memorable way to return! (And might become my preferred travel method for coming back to visit!) I'm getting to PA with plenty of time before I start a new job there, so I'm in no hurry. I hope to spend as much time in the viewing car as possible (and considerate)!

Anything special I should know about boarding in the middle of the night? I imagine the snack car would probably be closed and it would be quiet hours in the coach seats.

Anything special I should know about boarding in the middle of the night? I imagine the snack car would probably be closed and it would be quiet hours in the coach seats.
Not that I can think of. You're correct, all services will be closed (cafe doesn't open till 6:30 I believe, maybe 7). I believe you will be boarding towards the rear of the train, unless they changed the consist in the past month.

Enjoy your trip, that's a great way to return!

Hi all!

For my first Amtrak experience, I'll be traveling from Salt Lake City to Erie, PA. I'll board the California Zephyr in Salt Lake City at 3:30 am, then transfer to the Lake Shore Limited in Chicago. I'll be riding coach (that low, low ticket price was too tantalizing to pass up). As someone who is very low-maintenance and has managed to sleep soundly for the duration of cramped cross-country airplane rides, I don't think I will have any trouble in coach on Amtrak. I've already read a lot of beginner Amtrak tips, but I would like your input on some things.

1: The schedule has me arriving in Chicago at about 3 pm, while my Lake Shore Limited bus leaves from there at 9:30 p.m. I know how notorious trains can be at being late, but what do you think the odds are that my SLC -> Chicago train will actually make it on time for me to get to my transfer? Salt Lake City to Chicago is a lot of space for delays to happen. I believe this would be a guaranteed transfer, so if I missed the Lake Shore Limited if the CZ is late, Amtrak would be responsible for helping me complete my journey, is that right?

2: Does anyone have any experience with Union Station in Erie PA? I know it's probably a tiny stop on the Lake Shore's route. (I would supposedly arrive in Erie at 7:15 am, does anyone have experience on the Lake Shore Limited to offer whether I'd actually get there on time, or does it tend to run at a certain lateness?)

3: From what I've researched, the Intermodal Hub in Salt Lake City seems like a pretty tiny station, and I imagine since I'll be boarding in the middle of the night that it is considered a pretty quick stop for the CZ. Any tips or advice on boarding at such an odd hour?

4: I learned that there is no checked baggage service in Erie or on the LAke Shore Limited bus in general, but there is checked baggage on the CZ. Any thoughts on maybe checking a bag from SLC -> Chicago, then using it as a carry-on on the Lake Shore Limited (i.e. Only having one actual carry-on from SLC -> Chicago, then 2 from Chicago -> Erie), or would I just be better off not checking any of them at any time?

I'm a laid-back person, and delays and surprises don't bother me much. I will have family picking me up at the train station in Erie though and will want to let them know ASAP if the itinerary changes.

Thanks for any tips or insight!
Good day, and welcome by the way.
I note in Points 1 & 4 of your summary that you refer to the Lake Shore Limited as a bus. It's normally also a train. Have you been notified of a substitution? Even in coach the train will be much more comfortable than a bus for that distance. If on arrival in Erie you're in need of coffee or food, there is a McDonald's about 2 blocks from the station on Sassafrass St. (excuse the spelling if wrong). When is your trip?

Whoops, oversight on my part. I meant to refer to the train version of Lake Shore Limited! The only time a bus is involved in my trip is when I take a bus to SLC. I'll arrive in SLC Sept. 29 for my 3:30 am, Sept. 30 departure!

Thanks! I am originally from that area and certainly remember the cold snowy winters. Though winter in the mountains is frigid too (and longer)!

So I'm actually booking my ticket today because I wanted to do more research before I locked in. I'm slightly confused because on amtrak.com when I put in my trip parameters (SLC -> Erie on Sept. 30), it shows two options: 6 CZ -> 48 Lake Shore, or 6 CZ -> 448 Lake Shore. Same price, same times, etc. So, does that mean those are two different Lake Shore trains that happen to be leaving Chicago at the same time? Is there a major difference between the 48 and 448 Lake Shore trains? Is one better than the other?

(Both options reporting 50% full with Business class sold out on the 48 Lake Shore but not the 448 Lake Shore, not that that matters to me since I'll be riding coach.)

Also, any opinions on which side of the train I should sit on for better views along the way, eastbound on the CZ?

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first trip - I think you will enjoy it.

Your plan to maximize your time during the day in the Observation car on the Zephyr is a good one. Very nice place to watch scenery and meet other travelers, and the cafe will be right below you for snacks, etc.

Only other thing I might add is to monitor the situation with coach passengers being able to dine in the dining car. Traditionally you would be able to do so, but right now they have a (hopefully temporary) restriction on this. But if the restriction gets lifted before your trip, definitely have a couple of meals in the Zephyr dining car - definitely recommended!

Safe Travels

BC exists on 448 because it is the Boston section that splits in Albany and the Cafe/BC car goes to Boston. 48 is the section that continues to NYC (the diner goes there) There is no BC between NYP and ALB, so it books as 448/9

On the LSL, it doesn't matter much which side you sit on because it will be night most of the time, but the left (north) side might be a little better. Less early morning sun and you might catch a view of Lake Erie from Toledo and east. The LD coaches have good window curtains, so the sun shouldn't be too bothersome even if you are on the right. Depends if you are an early riser :cool:

As noted above 48 and 448 are the same physical train between Chicago and Albany. The different train numbers are effectively an artifact of the reservation system.

One note about Business Class. If the LSL Boston Business Class uses the same half Cafe/half Business class cars that Empire Service uses (I think they do) the regular Amfleet II long distance coach seats have more seat pitch and recline further than those Business Class seats. That Business Class configuration does have the advantage of 2+1 seating, though.

That's good to know about the LSL splitting in Albany, and since I'm getting off in Erie, it doesn't matter if I'm on the 448 or 48. Thanks! I'll just have to be diligent to listen for the stop in Erie so I don't miss it! 😩

I imagine I won't sleep much if at all on the first "day," since I'll want to be awake to see the good Utah/Colorado scenery when it gets light (and initial travel jitters would probably keep me awake for a while anyway). I'll probably end up sleeping the most after Denver. (I've seen the plains in great detail when I first drove from PA to the West on I-80......I don't think I'll miss a lot in Nebraska). If I can I'll nap a bit at first, then try to get to the viewing lounge for sunrise.

I'm not as concerned about seating on the LSL, as I grew up in that region and have seen the Great Lakes a lot. Though sunrise over the lake is nice. :) I'll probably try to sit on the left side of the CZ if I can, since I've read some comments that indicate the north side tends to have more interesting views. Though if I get to be in the viewing lounge when I'd like, I suppose it wouldn't matter much.

I do hope I'll be able to have a dining car experience! If not, then I'll just go again someday when I can. (The price of a roomette didn't seem worth it to me this time, since I'm a fairly light eater (especially when traveling) and might not even want all the meals in the dining car, and I'm an easy sleeper so coach won't bother me. And I'll want to meet other passengers and enjoy the viewing lounge, and a roomette might tempt me to stay in there too much.)

Otherwise, I'm sure my carry-on food and the cafe will suffice (I've seen the menu and I will do fine with it!)

Assuming the CZ arrives in Chicago on time-ish and I would have several hours to wait, is there anything fairly close by Union Station in Chicago I should go see? Also do you think the price to get into the Metro Lounge would be worth it? ALSO also, would I be able to leave my baggage somewhere at Union Station if I decided to go see (or eat) something nearby, or would I be better off carting all my stuff with me? (I will have a suitcase, backpack, messenger bag, and a throw blanket and pillow....)

Last edited:
You'll want to be awake and watching at first light out of Provo to see the scenery as you ascend Soldier Summit. The Utah desert if spectacular (look up Book Cliffs). Views are alternating sides all the way through the Colorado mountains until the descent into Denver. Even if the train is late (or winter, when I always travel), the lights of Denver are wonderful. After that, yeah, I sleep a lot the second night!

I do like being able to take a walk in Chicago: Millenium Park, the Magnificent Mile (shopping), and the lakefront are all good places to head. I believe if you are leaving Chicago in Business Class, you will be allowed into the Metro Lounge by showing your ticket (can someone confirm?). There is a luggage room just to the right of the desk where you can park your stuff at no extra charge.

Consider that the price difference for the BC seat may well be worth it, if it gets you lounge access in Chicago, light snacks and a place to drop bags, and the chance to take a shower. Not sure if showers are in use right now, but on a long trip can be very nice.
@AndyK33 - this expands nicely on what I was saying in Post #12 about BC on this route. Money well spent, and you can have a nice comfy seat to yourself to rest overnight (single-seat side), a free beverage on departure and first access to the cafe for breakfast should it open before you arrive in Erie.

I am starting a rail pass next week. My last leg is Chi-Buf. I canceled that and replaced it with a lower priced segment that I paid for,and canceled that. Instead to insure that I will not have a seatmate on the Chi-Buf overnight run I bought a business class seat on the LS I will be in the Metropolitan lounge before boarding,so I will be one of the first to board the train and snag one of those single seats. I could have upgraded,two days before but I didn't want to risk it.

Let us know how it works out. Most of like to make suggestions and try and help, but the most up to date info in a changing environment is helpful. Like the Metro lounge, for a while, they were pretty much doing nothing, then we heard packaged snacks were back, curious about the showers. Might be worth a red cap cart ride if they get you out early.

Like the Metro lounge, for a while, they were pretty much doing nothing, then we heard packaged snacks were back, curious about the showers.
Theres a on-going CZ review that began today which has metro lounge snacks mentioned. My review three weeks back does too

Back