First time riding the rails

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

Later this month I am travelling from D.C. to Kansas City. I will also have a 'brief' stop in Chicago. So I had some newbie questions about the trip I was hoping you guys can help me out with!

1) What's the security like at train stations? Is the TSA present there with x-rays, metal detectors, and so on? I'll explain this question further.

2) How does the checked baggage work? Is it like the airport (frequent flyer) where you hand your bags over to the lady at the check-in counter and once you get to your final destination you receive your bags back at the carousel? Also since I have a six hour layover in Chicago will the baggage automatically be transferred over to the next train, or do I get the bags back and have to give them to someone else?

3) Back to the security question. How bad is security while riding the train? Since I have a six hour layover in Chicago will I be able to leave the station and visit the city? Because in airports once you get through security you aren't allowed to leave the terminal until you are at your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

Thanks!

No metal detectors, x ray machines, or the like with Amtrak. You can come and go at Chicago or any other Amtrak station as you please. None of the TSA activity you see at airports. As for baggage, once you hand your bags to the agent, you do not have to handle them until you reach Kansas City. They will be transferred for you.

Have fun! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone!

Later this month I am travelling from D.C. to Kansas City. I will also have a 'brief' stop in Chicago. So I had some newbie questions about the trip I was hoping you guys can help me out with!

1) What's the security like at train stations? Is the TSA present there with x-rays, metal detectors, and so on? I'll explain this question further.

2) How does the checked baggage work? Is it like the airport (frequent flyer) where you hand your bags over to the lady at the check-in counter and once you get to your final destination you receive your bags back at the carousel? Also since I have a six hour layover in Chicago will the baggage automatically be transferred over to the next train, or do I get the bags back and have to give them to someone else?

3) Back to the security question. How bad is security while riding the train? Since I have a six hour layover in Chicago will I be able to leave the station and visit the city? Because in airports once you get through security you aren't allowed to leave the terminal until you are at your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

Thanks!
1) TSA is reported to sometimes make spot checks at the larger stations, and occasionally Amtrak PD or the local PD will have a dog sniff passengers' luggage, but for the most part there is no security ritual or inspection to worry about. At least, I've never encountered such.

2) Checked baggage works like the airlines; in fact the airlines got the idea from the railroads. If you check your baggage through to Kansas City from D. C. it will (should!) make the connection in Chicago without you having to even think about it. I do advise that you also take a carry-on with enough essentials so that your trip doesn't turn into a disaster in the slight chance that your baggage is delayed or misdirected.

Please note that if you are checking baggage, it needs to be checked in a MINIMUM of 45 minutes before scheduled departure. That doesn't mean being in line 45 minutes before, it means being at the head of the line handing over the bag 45 minutes before. I would plan on an hour, just to be safe. Be advised that you can check your baggage up to 24 hours before your scheduled departure; if you check your bag the night before then you just have to be at the station before your train departs. There is no mandatory check-in at the station (with perhaps a couple of exceptions, I believe L.A. is one), you just get on the train and go. If you are not asked to show your ticket as you board then look for an empty seat, meaning one with no seat check above it, and wait for the train crew to come by and check your ticket after the train departs. When they do they will issue you a seat check, which is a small slip of paper marked with your destination that goes above your seat to mark it as taken. After you have your seat check, you are free to move about the train.

ETA: Important note about checked baggage: Be sure that you hang on to your baggage claim checks! Unlike the airlines, where you can grab the first bag that looks like yours off the carousel and nobody ever stops you to check, Amtrak is very strict about matching claim checks before they will release checked baggage. Even at the small stations where you take your luggage right off the cart. So don't lose those claim checks!

3) Security aboard the train is extremely unobtrusive. As mentioned, occasionally Amtrak PD or one of the local police departments will have a dog make spot checks of passengers and their luggage; I have seen this done exactly once but I have heard of it at other times. There is no "secure zone" that you are restricted to in Chicago, so feel free to run across the street to CVS and stock up on snacks and drinks for your trip to Kansas City, or head out farther afield to the Willis (Sears) Tower observation deck or Navy Pier. With a six hour layover I might even be tempted to hop an El or bus to the Museum of Science and Industry, but six hours there is like going to a Vegas all you can eat buffet and only being able to take one plate....

One thing to be aware of: When you pick up your checked bag you will be asked to show your stub of the baggage check ticket and the numbers will be compared. This is at least our experiece. This is much unlike the airline grab it and go whether it is yours or not practice. Also, the space for carry on stuff is significantly larger, but part of that space may be a rack at the end of the car, not just the space above your seat.

Thanks so much for the info guys!

I'm excited to ride the train and also to stop in Chicago. I am hoping the weather holds up in Chicago so I can visit Millennium Park and the Navy Pier.

But a question about the seat checks. The seats I am not allowed to sit in will have a piece of paper over them? And once I sit in one when the check my ticket they will re-assign me to another seat and give me a seat check?

If you see a piece of paper above the seat (normally in a clip on the overhead luggage rack), it means that seat is taken. If the number 2 is written on it, it means that both of those seats are taken. The conductor also writes the passenger's destination as a reminder to the train crew so that they know to wake you up if you're asleep as the train approaches your stop. When the conductor takes or scans your ticket, he will issue you a seat check to mark your own seat as taken.

Normally if other seats are available it is permissible to move to one of them by taking your seat check to the new seat, but I would advise checking with the car attendant or conductor first, especially if the train is crowded...they may be saving a block of seats for a family of four or six which they can see on the manifest is boarding at a station down the line.

The conductor also writes the passenger's destination as a reminder to the train crew so that they know to wake you up if you're asleep as the train approaches your stop. When the conductor takes or scans your ticket, he will issue you a seat check to mark your own seat as taken.
This destination is commonly an abbreviation. For example, on our trips to Fresno, usually all that is written is an "F" and a "2"

But a question about the seat checks. The seats I am not allowed to sit in will have a piece of paper over them? And once I sit in one when the check my ticket they will re-assign me to another seat and give me a seat check?
Just to clarify: Amtrak does not assign you a seat in advance; your reservation means that there will be an empty seat for you somewhere on that train. How the seats are assigned basically depends upon the train crew. Either they will take a notepad and direct you to a certain seat as you board, or else you scrum for seats as you board and take whatever you can get. In the former case passengers gripe about the crew being on a power trip; in the latter case they gripe about the crew being lackadaisical and worthless :p . The assigned seating is more common when the train is or is expected to be crowded. If your train is "scrum for seats" then be advised that most riders find the seats in the center of the car to ride somewhat better than the seats near the end over the wheels, but I've sat in both and can't really tell the difference. On a Superliner (double decker) coach, you will probably want to avoid the seats nearest the steps in the center of the car and also those nearest the end where the doors are.

Nine times out of ten, once you have your seat and your seat check the train crew will leave you be and never ask you to move for the remainder of your trip. However, if you're a solo and the train is crowded, they may very well ask you to move to another empty seat to free up a pair for a group of travelers riding together. Please cooperate if this happens; remember, you have only bought one seat.

A couple of years ago, I was departing on the Silver Meteor from Orlando to New York Penn Station. Entering the parking lot, there were police cars from 4 different agencies. Sheriff, Orlando, Amtrak, and TSA. Before being able to board, there was a line that you needed to have your luggage checked. They took a piece of paper, rubbed it against your luggage, placed it in a electronic device, and if the device beeped wrong, they needed to closer investigate your luggage. I was ok, but another passenger beeped badly.

The date was September 11, 2011. That was the only time there was any type security like that.

At NY Penn, different police agencies routinely roam the station with dogs. They also make sure all luggage, even with people right next to them, are labeled.

Bruce-SSR

Be sure and check out the great old Union Stations in Chicago ( the Great Hall has had many movies and TV shows made there) and Kansas City's beautiful restored station! Worth checking out while waiting for your train!)

Just to clarify: Amtrak does not assign you a seat in advance; your reservation means that there will be an empty seat for you somewhere on that train. How the seats are assigned basically depends upon the train crew. Either they will take a notepad and direct you to a certain seat as you board, or else you scrum for seats as you board and take whatever you can get. In the former case passengers gripe about the crew being on a power trip; in the latter case they gripe about the crew being lackadaisical and worthless :p . The assigned seating is more common when the train is or is expected to be crowded. If your train is "scrum for seats" then be advised that most riders find the seats in the center of the car to ride somewhat better than the seats near the end over the wheels, but I've sat in both and can't really tell the difference. On a Superliner (double decker) coach, you will probably want to avoid the seats nearest the steps in the center of the car and also those nearest the end where the doors are.

Nine times out of ten, once you have your seat and your seat check the train crew will leave you be and never ask you to move for the remainder of your trip. However, if you're a solo and the train is crowded, they may very well ask you to move to another empty seat to free up a pair for a group of travelers riding together. Please cooperate if this happens; remember, you have only bought one seat.
However, if you're a solo and the train is crowded, they may very well ask you to move to another empty seat to free up a pair for a group of travelers riding together. Please cooperate if this happens; remember, you have only bought one seat.

I agree with this wholeheartedly! Just put yourself in the couple's shoes for a second.....besides, you will be getting a seatmate anyway, so why not be nice?

I'd consider myself a pretty nice person ;) I'm alright with seatmates as a frequent flyer. I've met some interesting people on a plane! So being even longer on a train (which is something I've been wanting to do) should be alright. :)

You've received some excellent advice. If you leave your seat to wash up or to visit the dining car or lounge, it's not necessary to take your carry-on luggage with you. The diner is essentially a rolling restaurant. Imagine being in a restaurant where space is at a premium in the first place. Then imagine all the customers having luggage with them. It becomes an obstacle course for both passengers and crew.

Instead, I recommend that you keep real valuables with you, but leave the ordinary items (change of clothes, toiletries, etc.) in the luggage rack. Thievery of these items on long distance trains is VERY, VERY, VERY RARE, so you shouldn't feel worried about that type of incident.

About 1/2 hour after leaving Washington, you'll probably want to visit the Sightseer Lounge car. At Point of Rocks, you'll see the Potomac River on your left. Then you'll cross the river at Harpers Ferry and run through Martinsburg, West Virginia. When you rejoin the Potomac, it will be on your right side all the way to Cumberland. Then Wills Creek will be on your left to the summit of the Alleghenies at Sand Patch. Coming back east, you should start seeing daylight shortly after Pittsburgh, and you should pass through all this scenery in daylight.

My most important advice: Have fun!

You've received some excellent advice. If you leave your seat to wash up or to visit the dining car or lounge, it's not necessary to take your carry-on luggage with you. The diner is essentially a rolling restaurant. Imagine being in a restaurant where space is at a premium in the first place. Then imagine all the customers having luggage with them. It becomes an obstacle course for both passengers and crew.

Instead, I recommend that you keep real valuables with you, but leave the ordinary items (change of clothes, toiletries, etc.) in the luggage rack. Thievery of these items on long distance trains is VERY, VERY, VERY RARE, so you shouldn't feel worried about that type of incident.

About 1/2 hour after leaving Washington, you'll probably want to visit the Sightseer Lounge car. At Point of Rocks, you'll see the Potomac River on your left. Then you'll cross the river at Harpers Ferry and run through Martinsburg, West Virginia. When you rejoin the Potomac, it will be on your right side all the way to Cumberland. Then Wills Creek will be on your left to the summit of the Alleghenies at Sand Patch. Coming back east, you should start seeing daylight shortly after Pittsburgh, and you should pass through all this scenery in daylight.

I have one suitcase I am going to have as checked baggage (just clothes) then my laptop bag that'll have my laptop and other electronic accessories for the laptop and my phone (including a somewhat expensive camera). I guess that's something I want to carry around with me? The other carry-on (backpack) will just be an extra pair of clothes, personal hygiene/makeup, and other boring things.

Also once I get to Chicago is there somewhere I can put my carry-on bags or do I have to tug them around with me?

I have one suitcase I am going to have as checked baggage (just clothes) then my laptop bag that'll have my laptop and other electronic accessories for the laptop and my phone (including a somewhat expensive camera). I guess that's something I want to carry around with me? The other carry-on (backpack) will just be an extra pair of clothes, personal hygiene/makeup, and other boring things.

Also once I get to Chicago is there somewhere I can put my carry-on bags or do I have to tug them around with me?
There are lockers in the station. If you are on a sleeper, I believe you can store your bags in the Metropolitan lounge.

Dan

SWC "the drug train" is patroled by FBI. Almost everytime I travel, offenders and pushers are taken off at ABQ.t

When I carry and use a laptop in coach, I bring along a Kensington cable lock and loop it around the frame of my tray table. If I leave my seat to go to the diner or the lounge car, I slip the laptop back into its case and leave it at my seat still locked to the tray table frame. I have never yet had a problem with anyone messing with it. My camera and cell phone I take with me to the diner; the camera goes around my neck and I have a holster for the cell phone. Sometimes I do like to take pictures from the diner windows; in fact you'll see a few of them from my April trip up on Facebook.

Take your purse with you at all times but I would recommend that you get a lock or something similar for your laptop, unless the laptop is an iPad or similar device small enough to fit in your purse. The dining car tables are normally cramped for space (you WILL have tablemates; they seat 4 to a table and combine singles and couples all the time) and a laptop is awkward, as well as easily forgotten or stepped on. A camera you can probably manage, especially if it has a carrying case.

Thanks so much for the info guys!

I'm excited to ride the train and also to stop in Chicago. I am hoping the weather holds up in Chicago so I can visit Millennium Park and the Navy Pier.

You can also take food, soda drinks, etc with you onto the train. It is not like modern airport security where you can't take any bottles over 4 liquid ounces through the security checkpoint. So you can bring a supply of snacks, something to drink so you are not entirely dependent on the cafe service or the diner.
I also recommend you keep your eticket copy or ticket with you on the train even after you are scanned in case they want to check it again later.

I used to carry around a cell phone, a laptop, and a Leica M3 with half a dozen lenses a photo sniper and a tripod. It was heavy, a pain in the ass, and a lot of money to lose if it broke or got stolen.

Now I carry an iPhone 5 and a roll up keyboard, which does 99% of what the whole ensemble used to do, and costs a lot less. And I keep it in my pocket.

Regarding the snacks & beverages that you may bring along with you, remember that personal alcohol may not be consumed in any public area on the train. That means a room in a sleeping car is the only place you are permitted to have or consume your personal alcohol. You may consume alcoholic beverages that you have purchased on the train.

You mentioned some concern about sitting in your assigned seat (seat checks, etc.). The seats in the lounge car are, of course, open and available to all on a first-come, first served basis, no matter where your assigned seat may be.

As far as the arrangements for storing items in Chicago are concerned, it's been a long time since I've been up that way, so I'd rather let others comment on that.

When I carry and use a laptop in coach, I bring along a Kensington cable lock and loop it around the frame of my tray table. If I leave my seat to go to the diner or the lounge car, I slip the laptop back into its case and leave it at my seat still locked to the tray table frame. I have never yet had a problem with anyone messing with it. My camera and cell phone I take with me to the diner; the camera goes around my neck and I have a holster for the cell phone. Sometimes I do like to take pictures from the diner windows; in fact you'll see a few of them from my April trip up on Facebook.

Take your purse with you at all times but I would recommend that you get a lock or something similar for your laptop, unless the laptop is an iPad or similar device small enough to fit in your purse. The dining car tables are normally cramped for space (you WILL have tablemates; they seat 4 to a table and combine singles and couples all the time) and a laptop is awkward, as well as easily forgotten or stepped on. A camera you can probably manage, especially if it has a carrying case.
What's it like taking pictures from a train? I'm alright with moving objects but would the observation car be the best area?

I used to carry around a cell phone, a laptop, and a Leica M3 with half a dozen lenses a photo sniper and a tripod. It was heavy, a pain in the ass, and a lot of money to lose if it broke or got stolen.

Now I carry an iPhone 5 and a roll up keyboard, which does 99% of what the whole ensemble used to do, and costs a lot less. And I keep it in my pocket.
I have a D3200 and a couple lenses and lens filters. I do have a carrying bag for it but just for walking around Chicago and on the train I am just going to carry the camera alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back