First time trip on EB/Help...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q. 1) I'd love some direction on who, and how much, and when to tip.

Q. 2) How much room is available in the bedroom for carryon bags? There will be 3 of us, each with a smallish (airplane size) roller and a school sized (i.e., not monster) backpack.

We have a weird trip coming up, weird in the sense that we will be switching from roomettes to a bedroom, and then switching bedrooms.

I assume this will mean triple tipping but that is fine - just want to know the protocol. Also, I don't see any problem with luggage storage in the roomettes since we will have 2 of them for 3 people.

Any insights are SO appreciated!

:help:

Q. 2) How much room is available in the bedroom for carryon bags? There will be 3 of us, each with a smallish (airplane size) roller and a school sized (i.e., not monster) backpack.

We have a weird trip coming up, weird in the sense that we will be switching from roomettes to a bedroom, and then switching bedrooms.

I assume this will mean triple tipping but that is fine - just want to know the protocol. Also, I don't see any problem with luggage storage in the roomettes since we will have 2 of them for 3 people.

:hi: IINM weve discussed this Trip with you in a different thread, looks like you were not able to Rebook so you dont have to change Rooms during the trip??? :(

As to tipping, most of us say that $5 per day-night/per person per Room is the norm IF the SCA provides all the expected services (ie Bed turn down/keep juice-ice- -coffe-water supply

available in Car, keeps Bathrooms and Shower clean/orderly, has a good atitude, is visible/not hidng out (their Room is Roomette #1), informs you of all the info you need re room/car/meals-services on Train. If they perform any special services (ie Bringing meals to Room/helping with Luggage etc. maybe $10 extra. On a 2 day/2 mnight trip such as yours $20 should be sufficient with Regular Service. Since you are changing Cars, $10 to the First SCA and $10 to the other should work! As to Meals in the Diner, a suggestion is 15-20% of menu price to the server, the LSA (runs the Diner)doesnt require a tip! The wine and cheese tasting, $2 is sufficient!( Suggestions:Breakfast $2-$3/Lunch $2-3/Dinner $5)Conductors and Coach Attendants (and Engineers and Station Agents) arent tipped! ^_^ Any Redcaps your might use, $5 is a nice tip!)

Luggage Room; Plenty in the Bedroom, not much in the Roomettes! Since you have two Roomettes part of the Trip, you could put your stuff in the top Bunk of the Room with one person, but otherwise the Luggage Rack Downstairs is the place for Larger Luggage, just take what you need up to the Room, you can always access your bag when you need it , ie Showers, Change Clothing etc. Also youll find the Communal Shower lots easier to use than the Small Shower/Toliet Combo in the Bedrooms, they tend to get wet since the Shower sprays the whole Closet the Bathroom is in!

Id suggest talking with the two SCAs on this Train (the SEA Sleeper and the PDX Sleeper) before you reach Spokane and have to change cars, so they are aware of the moving you are doing and also they MAY be willing to help you move, maybe even BEFORE Spokane if a Room is Available// Dont forget to ask the SCA if there is anyway you don't have to move also, sometimes they juggle stuff so you don;'t have to move! Good luck, nice Trip! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

:hi: IINM weve discussed this Trip with you in a different thread, looks like you were not able to Rebook so you dont have to change Rooms during the trip??? :(

As to tipping, most of us say that $5 per day-night/per person per Room is the norm IF the SCA provides all the expected services (ie Bed turn down/keep juice-ice- -coffe-water supply

available in Car, keeps Bathrooms and Shower clean/orderly, has a good atitude, is visible/not hidng out (their Room is Roomette #1), informs you of all the info you need re room/car/meals-services on Train. If they perform any special services (ie Bringing meals to Room/helping with Luggage etc. maybe $10 extra. On a 2 day/2 mnight trip such as yours $20 should be sufficient with Regular Service. Since you are changing Cars, $10 to the First SCA and $10 to the other should work! As to Meals in the Diner, a suggestion is 15-20% of menu price to the server, the LSA (runs the Diner)doesnt require a tip! The wine and cheese tasting, $2 is sufficient!( Suggestions:Breakfast $2-$3/Lunch $2-3/Dinner $5)Conductors and Coach Attendants (and Engineers and Station Agents) arent tipped! ^_^ Any Redcaps your might use, $5 is a nice tip!)

Luggage Room; Plenty in the Bedroom, not much in the Roomettes! Since you have two Roomettes part of the Trip, you could put your stuff in the top Bunk of the Room with one person, but otherwise the Luggage Rack Downstairs is the place for Larger Luggage, just take what you need up to the Room, you can always access your bag when you need it , ie Showers, Change Clothing etc. Also youll find the Communal Shower lots easier to use than the Small Shower/Toliet Combo in the Bedrooms, they tend to get wet since the Shower sprays the whole Closet the Bathroom is in!

Id suggest talking with the two SCAs on this Train (the SEA Sleeper and the PDX Sleeper) before you reach Spokane and have to change cars, so they are aware of the moving you are doing and also they MAY be willing to help you move, maybe even BEFORE Spokane if a Room is Available// Dont forget to ask the SCA if there is anyway you don't have to move also, sometimes they juggle stuff so you don;'t have to move! Good luck, nice Trip! :cool:

Can't thank you enough Mr Hudson for all this valuable info. Yes you are right I could not solve the problem from another thread. The AmGR people on the phone are very nice about looking in the computer when I call them up every couple of days but the train is full and I am really just wasting their time. Maybe the SCAs will be able to do something but if not we will have to move in the middle of the night. We will have everything packed so we can just put on our coats and move cars.

Happy to hear that the SCA keeps botled water, juice and ice available. My Son especially loves having bottled water and I was going to have to pack some for him they weigh a lot, so now I won't have to. The coffee, I will be needing!! :lol:

The tipping question, I am so grateful for the info especially since I never carry cash around....charge everything on my AGR credit card! I will be sure to have the tip amounts ready thank you so much, again.

:hi: You're most Welcome! Have a great Trip and be sure and ask anymore Questions you may have and keep us updated if things change for the Better! :) Jim (Mr. Hudson is my Dad! ^_^ )

The tipping question, I am so grateful for the info especially since I never carry cash around....charge everything on my AGR credit card! I will be sure to have the tip amounts ready thank you so much, again.
A thought- wouldn't it be awesome if you could charge the tips to your AGR card and earn points for those at Amtrak redemption levels (2 points per dollar spent)
rolleyes.gif

A thought- wouldn't it be awesome if you could charge the tips to your AGR card and earn points for those at Amtrak redemption levels (2 points per dollar spent)
rolleyes.gif
:hi: Well, in a Limited sense you can in the Diner and Cafe Car, you can order alcohol with your meals and charge it to your AGR Card,,and anything you buy in the Cafe Car can be charged to your AGR Card including Tips! Unfortunately the SCA isnt included in this! As the Old Saying goes, "Money Talks and BS Walks"!!!! :rolleyes:

Personal answers

1) Sleeper Attendant ($10 per night), Diner waiter ($4 per meal), Redcap ($1 per bag)

2) No problem with bedroom. Would have trouble with one roomette, but with two, then also no problem. Cosider checking bags (up to three for free).

Yes you are right I could not solve the problem from another thread. The AmGR people on the phone are very nice about looking in the computer when I call them up every couple of days but the train is full and I am really just wasting their time.
As a side note, please don't feel this way. I work in a call center (customer service), and it is never a waste of our time to help a customer, even if we can't do anything at that moment. I often get calls from customers repeatedly checking on various situations, and it's never a bother. That's what we're here for! :)

Yes you are right I could not solve the problem from another thread. The AmGR people on the phone are very nice about looking in the computer when I call them up every couple of days but the train is full and I am really just wasting their time.
As a side note, please don't feel this way. I work in a call center (customer service), and it is never a waste of our time to help a customer, even if we can't do anything at that moment. I often get calls from customers repeatedly checking on various situations, and it's never a bother. That's what we're here for! :)
I like this answer!

Sorcha, what ComPany do you work for? I like that attitude. Lol
State Farm. :)
I have had State Farm for decades, and their customer service is always top notch, at least for their insureds.
Ditto! Living Proof that Being Succesful and Huge doesnt have to involve Profits and Greed!

Sorcha :hi: would be considered the Norm @ StateFarm based on my 50+ years :eek: with them! :wub:

We're a mutual company, so our policyholders are, literally, the owners of the company. If we save money, you save money. It's so nice not having to bow to stockholder pressure. Every single decision we make is based on what's best for the customers.

I've never worked for a better company. And that's all I'm going to say since we've sort of taken over this thread. ;)

I not only enjoyed the responses I got... it was also enjoyable to watch the conversation take a different turn. :mellow:

That is often how life is.. and you learn more from the turns in the road!

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back