First Time Using H Room...Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
What type of written proof is required? I have the placard I use on my car. I could print out the summary from my last visit to the doctor, if I can find it. I already have my tickets, at what point do I have to present the written proof and what written proof should I take with me?

Does the conductor really ask for a signature certifying a handicap? Does that really happen? It just seems a bit demeaning.

I've traveled in the H-room twice, both times with my father. He was 81 in May 2014 and 84 in September 2016. While generally healthy he does have limited mobility and often uses a cane for assistance and has had hip replacement surgery. While we were told that we should be able to certify the handicap, none of our conductors ever actually asked for that certification. In practice, as long as you don't give the obvious impression of being healthy and mobility-unimpaired, I think it's rare that the crew will do anything. What are they going to do, anyway...put a first-class passenger off the train at the last minute?

I've not been asked to paper proof for my disability. I don't try to get the H-room (not qualified for that anyway) but do use the disability discount. I do carry a copy of a letter from my state that indicates that I qualified for a deaf/HoH placard that can be used to let officers know how to communicate with me should I be stopped. I think I also have a copy of one of my audiograms with that letter. Of course, all I really have to do is point to my hearing aids (now, CI and HA) and they know.

My grandmother always uses the H room because of her more limited mobility and we've never had an issue with it since we started using them in 2006. And she only just bought a walker.

I've used the H room a few times, so has my mother. Neither of us have had to present anything. I think our walkers were proof enough as was stated before.

Ryan, that's a lot broader than the requirements I quoted in another thread:

Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers with a disability who travel with a wheeled mobility device.
Your list implies that anyone who is on Medicare (over the age of 65) qualifies for the H room. The paragraph above your quote is much more specific. You need either a wheelchair or something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan, that's a lot broader than the requirements I quoted in another thread:

Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers with a disability who travel with a wheeled mobility device.
Your list implies that anyone who is on Medicare (over the age of 65) qualifies for the H room. The paragraph above your quote is much more specific. You need either a wheelchair or something similar.
But, again, when I asked concerning my father who was recovering from hip replacement surgery but did NOT use a wheeled device, I was told that the use of a cane for assistance qualified. So I'd like to see a reference link for the requirement for wheeled devices.

Of course, as we all know, the one consistent thing about Amtrak is its inconsistency....

I think that Amtrak wants qualified passengers only, when making reservations more than two weeks in advance. On the train, the conductors do not care when you made your reservations, only that you have a valid ticket. They can't ask for certification if Amtrak sells to both certified and non-certified passengers for the same room.

I think that Amtrak wants qualified passengers only, when making reservations more than two weeks in advance. On the train, the conductors do not care when you made your reservations, only that you have a valid ticket. They can't ask for certification if Amtrak sells to both certified and non-certified passengers for the same room.
Yes, that makes sense. However, if you're making a reservation online, or over the phone, what documentation can you provide that you qualify?

Your list implies that anyone who is on Medicare (over the age of 65) qualifies for the H room.
That's not my list, it's Amtrak, and it doesn't imply anything. It merely says that a Medicare card (if *UNDER* 65) is acceptable documentation.
You're right - I misread the "under" comment. There are, indeed, people under the age of 65 who are on Medicare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of the confusion stems from the fact that any documented disability qualifies for the disabled discount, but not for early reservation of the H room. There are plenty of recognized disabilities that do not require that room, but are most certainly eligible for the discount.

I was put in the H room once. Not because of a handicap but it was the only room left. The big Ole toilet on one side of the room was a bit of a nuisance - had to sit on the pot to look out the window, but it was an OK trip.

Just played around with a date more than 2 weeks out and used PWD (Person with Disability) for Passenger #1. The bolded below was the only one that showed me the accessible bedroom.

https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

I am a person who is blind or has vision loss.

I am a person who is deaf or has a hearing loss.

I have a disability not listed here.

I have reduced mobility.

I travel with a mobility aid or require use of an Amtrak wheelchair.

I need an Amtrak wheelchair.

At many Amtrak stations, courtesy wheelchairs are available for passengers who need assistance moving around within the station and to/from the boarding platform. At these stations, Amtrak employees are available to help you.

I need help with steps and to my seat.

I need help with steps. I can walk to my seat.

I can walk up stairs and to my seat.

I travel with my own wheelchair.

Amtrak trains accommodate most wheeled mobility devices in use today. If you travel with your own wheeled mobility device, review the wheeled mobility device specifications before making reservations.

I travel with a manual wheelchair and I will sit in it during travel.

I travel with a collapsible wheelchair and I will stow it onboard during travel.

I travel with a power wheelchair.

I travel with a scooter.

I use mobility aids.

I travel with a mobility aid (e.g., cane, walker, crutches, etc.).

Back