First time with 2 kids. PGH-FLO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In two weeks I'm traveling for the first time with my kids. (2 & 4 year old girls) It will just be the 3 of us going from PGH to FLO connection in PHL. I'm nervous about the connection because I have never done it before and I don't know the layout of the station. I've tried looking for a map of the station like they have for airports but I have yet to find one. I plan on getting them lunch because I believe we are supposed to be there for 2 hours. Is that enough time to eat, use the restroom, and still find out how to get to our train without having to rush while handling 2 children their bags, my bag, and 2 carseats? If anyone can offer any tips for our time at 30th Street Station it would be greatly appreciated. Also general first time traveler tips as well as with small children. Thank you! :huh:

PHL is my "home station" I travel out of there frequently. PHL is a nice size. Nice food court too. Mickey D's, Subway, KFC, and some Chinese. The restrooms are located behind the ticket office. The train board will display your trains status. It will be smooth. No need to worry. NO rushing will be needed.

Good Luck,

Steve

As Acela has said, Philadelphias 30th street station is a full service facility. Its like a city block long. A two hour layover is plenty of time to eat and get ready for the connection. You've got just about everything that you will need there. Coffee and donut shops, ice cream, newsstands, a bookstore, gift shop, and loads of places to eat (some take out and some eat in) It is a big beautiful station, rectangular shaped and easy to find your way around. I believe that the Silver Meteor leaves around 5 PM and the trip to Florence is over 10 hours. If you do not already have one ( and you can afford one) you might want to consider an onboard upgrade to a bedroom.

I'm assuming you are coach the whole trip... Pennsylvanian from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia, then Silver Meteor from Philadelphia to Florence, SC.

I'm from the left (or right, depending on your perspective) coast, and when travelling with children I've always been in sleeper, so my ability to impart what little wisdom I have is even further diminished. Here's what I can offer:

1. If you can snag a set of four seats facing each other, that would be a nice place to 'set up camp' for your trip. (I'm assuming the 2-year old is not a "lap child"). Unless the trains get pretty crowded I think you could have those seats to yourselves.

2. Bring a pillow and blanket... your kids may be able to nap on the floor in front of your seats.

3. First thing after you step off the train in Philly, gather your kids and stuff, get help from a Redcap if possible, and go check your bags for the remainder of the trip. That gets rid of the car seats and some suitcases so you don't have to haul them around during your layover.

4. DVD player or Ipod with movies & tv shows (Little Einsteins, Wonder Pets, Thomas & Friends... whatever the flavor of the month is for your kids) & earbuds are very helpful. Our kids (ages 1 & 3 on our last trip) actually watched the scenery longer than we thought they would (about an hour, then any time horses/cows/sheep were spotted)... but it didn't entertain them for the entire trip. Books & toys are good, too... but I realize you're already packing quite a load for this trip.

5. Consider the Capitol Limited for your next trip. I realize the pre-dawn departure from PGH is not very convenient... but it allows you to check all that bulky baggage from start point to end point. Family bedrooms can be pretty cheap on this train as well, which would let your kids (and you) have a little more space to stretch out/nap. Getting the family bedroom would also get you free breakfast and lunch on the train (you could be first to breakfast since the kids would still be all excited from boarding the train, and a full tummy might entice them to sleep a bit afterwards). The six hour layover in D.C. is enough time to get out and see something in the city (museums, monuments, or just let the kids run out some energy on the mall), or you could just have dinner & visit shops in Union Station. If you got a sleeper for either half of the trip (PGH-WAS or WAS-FLO), you could hang out in the Club Acela lounge, which I believe has wifi (pbskids.org for the win!). I know, I'm pushing the sleeper like an insurance salesman... but if you can squeeze it in the budget I think it is a worthwhile expense.

I'm assuming you are coach the whole trip...
If not, and you're got sleeper accommodations on the Meteor, then I would strongly suggest you take advantage of the Acela Lounge, upstairs in the PHL 30th Street Station, for your wait. You will not only find a really nice place to sit, but there are free snacks, soda, juice, coffee, tea, and bottled water. Plus a few free-use PC's with internet connections spread around.

If I may ask (and I have nothing against the Pennsylvanian), why are you taking the Pennsylvanian to PHL and not the Capitol Limited from PGH to WAS and connect there? :huh:

The Pennsylvanian just has a cafe car, while the CL has a full dining car! ;)

If I may ask (and I have nothing against the Pennsylvanian), why are you taking the Pennsylvanian to PHL and not the Capitol Limited from PGH to WAS and connect there? :huh:
My guess is because using the Capitol Limited would entail a combination of a 5:20 am departure, 2 & 4-year-old children, and a 6h20m layover in Washington.

Thank you for all the tips thus far. I have not purchased the tickets as of yet because I was still debating which route to take. We will be in coach seats. The reason for the Pennsylvanian route was the departure time wasn't as early and yes the layover is shorter. I am considering the Captiol Limited still, we would be leaving earlier (we actually live in Ohio, an hour from the PGH station) but I could check baggage and it would be cheaper so the kiddos would have a little extra money for things along the way. I was doing some research and right across the street from WAS is the Postal museum which my kids would enjoy since they are postal babies, I work for the post office and so does my mother. Also we could have our meals there instead of fussing on the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would certainly be interested in the Postal Museum, I'm not so sure about the kids due to their ages. I haven't been there lately, but there used to be a real RPO car on display, owned by the late Jim Bistline.

As for comparing WAS and PHL, there is at least as much to do at WAS with shops and a food court.

Thank you for all the tips thus far. I have not purchased the tickets as of yet because I was still debating which route to take. We will be in coach seats. The reason for the Pennsylvanian route was the departure time wasn't as early and yes the layover is shorter. I am considering the Captiol Limited still, we would be leaving earlier (we actually live in Ohio, an hour from the PGH station) but I could check baggage and it would be cheaper so the kiddos would have a little extra money for things along the way. I was doing some research and right across the street from WAS is the Postal museum which my kids would enjoy since they are postal babies, I work for the post office and so does my mother. Also we could have our meals there instead of fussing on the train.

You would probably enjoy the postal museum but since it is mostly devoted to stamps and stamp collecting, don't count on your children enjoying it for more than half an hour. There are a few interactive things in there for children but once you have done those, it's over for the kiddos! :(

However, six hours is plenty of time to catch a circulator bus and go to the National Mall; the fare is about $1.00/person and there are a couple of the Smithsonians on the Mall that your kids would enjoy. FREE!

5:20 AM? Ouch! This means that you've got to get up at around 2:30 AM.

7:20 means still 4:30, I agree.

I think with your current planning you'll be arriving in FLO at 3:20 AM next day.

Do you really mean Florence, SC?

I'm an absolute railroad fanatic, I'm travelling by train about 50'000 miles a year, but still this seems to be a plan for people who are at a higher level of enthusiasm about trains than I am.

National Mall seems to be a good Idea, but the Circulator is somewhat slow. There is also a subway line going close.

anyway: www.dccirculator.com

5:20 AM? Ouch! This means that you've got to get up at around 2:30 AM.7:20 means still 4:30, I agree.

I think with your current planning you'll be arriving in FLO at 3:20 AM next day.

Do you really mean Florence, SC?

I'm an absolute railroad fanatic, I'm travelling by train about 50'000 miles a year, but still this seems to be a plan for people who are at a higher level of enthusiasm about trains than I am.

National Mall seems to be a good Idea, but the Circulator is somewhat slow. There is also a subway line going close.

anyway: www.dccirculator.com
Yes, Florence, South Carolina. My kids are interested in things most kids their age wouldn't be. Most of the men in our family work for CSX so they're thrilled with trains and have been dying to ride one. They love getting out to see new things. I expect a little bit of fussing later in the day but over all I think it will be a pleasant experience. I am grateful for all the information I have receive from everyone.

You would probably enjoy the postal museum but since it is mostly devoted to stamps and stamp collecting, don't count on your children enjoying it for more than half an hour. There are a few interactive things in there for children but once you have done those, it's over for the kiddos! :(
However, six hours is plenty of time to catch a circulator bus and go to the National Mall; the fare is about $1.00/person and there are a couple of the Smithsonians on the Mall that your kids would enjoy. FREE!
The postal museum is also part of the Smithsonian system, and hence free. The railroad post office car is still there, and there are many other interesting mail vehicles on display from old vans to snowmobiles. There are some interactive exhibits for kids, on things like how mail traveled at different points in history or took many different vehicles to cross the country; mail fraud detection; and the pony express, but they may be a bit more than a 4-year-old has the patience for. And yes, there are beautiful stamp collections, though I recall them being only one relatively small room of the museum.

Your kids will probably love the exhibit about Owney the railroad post office dog. Owney was a real dog who belonged to a postal clerk in Albany and traveled throughout the country in railroad post office cars. Owney eventually went on a world tour by steamship and train, and was given an award by the Postmaster General! There's a nice picture book in the gift shop. Note that the dog on display is the real Owney -- the post office had Owney taxidermied when he died.

National Mall seems to be a good Idea, but the Circulator is somewhat slow. There is also a subway line going close.anyway: www.dccirculator.com
Subway to the mall (assuming you want to go to the Smithsonian station) is a 2 line trip that would be longer and more stressful than the bus.
As far as checked luggage, you can still go via Philly and check a bag - you can either go to the station the day before and check your bag, and it'll go on that morning's Capital Limited and then make the transfer at WAS and be trainside when you get to FLO. If that's inconvenient, you can take your bags when yo go for the Pennsy and they'll go on the next day's Cap, and will arrive in FLO the day after you.

Not as convient, but if you can work out the logistics, the trip itself will be easier I think.

I connected from the Pennsylvanian to the Silver Meteor at PHL back in November and I really enjoyed my time in PHL. The station had plenty of places to get a snack, and the layover was long enough to stretch my legs, but not so long as to be boring. I was also motivated by the later departure time in PGH. Getting to the downtown station at 4:50 AM for a 5:20 departure just sounded awful. By the time the Pennsylvanian departs the city is awake and the sun is up. (Though the snack bar on the Pennsylvanian doesn't hold a candle to breakfast in the dining car on the CL.)

Philadelphia is a great station for a layover. They have lot's of food options, a nice gift-bookstore and nice waiting area. You can always go up to the SEPTA area and watch trains come and go. If you have enough time, you can train to Suburban station and walk to City Hall and other interesting sites. Enjoy your trip!

In two weeks I'm traveling for the first time with my kids. (2 & 4 year old girls) It will just be the 3 of us going from PGH to FLO connection in PHL. I'm nervous about the connection because I have never done it before and I don't know the layout of the station. I've tried looking for a map of the station like they have for airports but I have yet to find one. I plan on getting them lunch because I believe we are supposed to be there for 2 hours. Is that enough time to eat, use the restroom, and still find out how to get to our train without having to rush while handling 2 children their bags, my bag, and 2 carseats? If anyone can offer any tips for our time at 30th Street Station it would be greatly appreciated. Also general first time traveler tips as well as with small children. Thank you! :huh:
I vote for changing in PHL. The layover is shorter, the departure from PGH is better and the Redcaps in PHL are very helpful. When you get to PHL, you want to go over to the Redcap podium and ask them to help you board the Meteor. They will handle your luggage and see that you get pre-boarded with your kids so you should get a good choice of seats. Of course you will be limited to seats not taken by people who boarded in NY and parts of NJ, but pre-boarding is still well worth it. Tip the Redcaps accordingly, too. They usually are really good with kids there and I have found them to be some of the most courteous Amtrak staff anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back