First trip ???'s

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting topic. I was told at one point that your sleeper ticket entitles access to the entire train. Obviously you can't take up a coach seat that is needed for a coach passenger, though.

I remember reading a trip report some years ago where a sleeper passenger used a pair of coach seats in the daytime and only used the sleeper at night to sleep and shower. That was in the days when each coach had a car attendant. Neither the CA nor the conductors said anything to him about it. However, his trip was in the winter and there were plenty of empty seats. I wouldn't even think of doing that when the passenger load is high.

I do see the advantages of riding in coach even if you have a sleeper compartment. The seats are more comfortable and recline more than the seats in the sleeper or the lounge car, you can get a better view out of both sides of the train depending on where in the coach you are sitting, there are people around to chat with if you wish, and if you have a pair of seats to yourself you are sitting pretty indeed. The lounge car is the best place to view the scenery in mountainous terrain because of the high windows but is of no particular advantage in open country where being able to look up is far less important.
As PVD said, a sleeper ticket entitles you to a sleeper accommodation, every accommodation on board. It makes the car more crowded, noisier, and can be somewhat confusing for conductors.

And regarding chatting with other passengers, that's what the SSL is for. There are usually plenty of people willing to talk in there. And, there are probably many coach passengers who just want to nap or read quietly in their seat. so you're definitely not talking with them, and any conversation (with anyone) would probably be bothering them. Also, when you say that the SSL 'is of no particular advantage in open country', bear in mind that the windows are about twice the height than in a coach or sleeper.

Based on my experience riding long distance trains, chatting among passengers happens in all the passenger cars - coach, sleeper, dining, & SSL.

Suggesting most passengers hearing any conversation (with anyone) outside the SSL car would be bothered seems ludicrous.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as people aren't loud and boisterous, or overly loud on a cell phone, I can't imagine that being seen as a problem during normal awake hours. Overnight, folks should "take it to the lounge"

Based on my experience riding long distance trains, chatting among passengers happens in all the passenger cars - coach, sleeper, dining, & SSL.

Suggesting most passengers hearing any conversation (with anyone) outside the SSL car would be bothered seems ludicrous.
My point was that a few people aren't dying to have yet another person with a completely different kind of ticket talking. Not that everyone will throw a temper tantrum if a single person is talking.

I'm not sure I get the connection between type of ticket and ability of a passenger to be annoying. It's why quiet cars have become so popular

Well, we all know that some people think they're better than others just because they bought a higher priced ticket...

I have found that conversations started in the Dining Car many times continues when we see each other again SSL or Sleeper or outside walking. True, at night discussions in the Coaches or Sleepers should move to the SSL so people can rest and sleep. Conversations I have had with other passengers has never varied based on travel class, infact many have wished they had been in the sleeper, thus ask many questions, even asked the Conductor afterward about a tour and/or upgrading.

Back