Moynihan Train Hall

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bathrooms were bad for a while some years ago, and they were redone in an utilitarian but effective design. Having the police desk moved to that side right in front of them didn't hurt. They weren't pretty, but they were no longer that bad, and were kept fairly clean especially considering the volume of usage.

It's amazing how something simple like the location of the police desk can improve a situation.

I'm sure it's just coincidence, but my home station of Crawfordsville, IN is across the street from the Police station. While it doesn't guarantee my car will be safe when I leave it parked at the station - I certainly don't spend a minute worrying about it - that's for sure.

Can you tell which lockers are occupied, or do you just have to keep opening doors until you find a vacant one? (I can't tell if those panels are frosted glass, or opaque.)
You have to open doors to see if there's a bag in it. I know. I checked. It is in view of the lounge attendant, but if someone's really worried, I guess it would be better to go to the baggage counter and pay $10 to check the bag for the day.

You have to open doors to see if there's a bag in it. I know. I checked. It is in view of the lounge attendant, but if someone's really worried, I guess it would be better to go to the baggage counter and pay $10 to check the bag for the day.

Murphy’s Law would kick in on me. I’d have to pay $10. Lol.

We took a quick trip to Manhattan yesterday to see the Macy's Flower Show, and got to experience the new Moynihan Train Hall. Wow, what a beautiful space, that has been needed in NYC since the first day that the "new" Penn Station went into service. A really nice feature is that there are tributes and photographs of the late, great, Penn Station throughout the new train hall. In the baggage claim room is a series photographs documenting the history of the original station including it's downfall. This includes the protests that a group of architects organized, and a very somber picture of the old station in ruins. In the new train hall retail is starting to fill in, and if you are looking for something to eat on board, or while you are waiting, there is a new Whole Foods a block away west on 33rd street. Speaking of the baggage claim, yes, you can check bags there even if your not taking a train ($20.00 fee). Enjoy !P1.jpgP1.jpgP2.jpgp3.jpgp4.jpgp5.jpgp6.jpgp7.jpgp8.jpgPA3.jpg

I have been in the lounge at the new hall. Hands down,the best Amtrak lounge in the country. The food and drinks they serve are better than any flex meal.

I would rank the Northeast lounges as follows:

1. Moynihan Train Hall New York
2. Boston
3. Philadelphia
4. Washington

I think I might rank Chicago as being between Moynihan and Boston.
Both Boston and Philly have the most relaxed and quiet vibes. I almost might rate Philly a bit better because of the direct elevator drop to the tracks, but I think Boston is a more open pleasant space. Chicago can get busy and a little noisy, though you can go upstairs (or will be able to do so once this pandemic business ends.) I can't really judge whether New York will get busy and noisy when business recovers. It was pretty quiet and mellow the day I was there.

Washington is the lounge that needs the most work. It's a real closed-in bunker, though it has the advantage that access to the upper level tracks bypasses the gates, so you can avoid the lines. It's no fun butting in line, even if you can flash your Select Plus card to show that it's OK to do so. Unfortunately, they no longer let you access the lower track gates unattended, so you do have to go butt in line for anything leaving from the lower level. Another problem is that they only announce Acelas and long-distance trains for sleeper passengers in the lounge, so you don't get an opportunity to pre-board the Northeast Regionals. They are also a bit anal about outside food, it being the only lounge where I've been hassled merely for bringing a carry-out bag in, even though I was planning to eat it on the train. I learned my lesson, and make sure my carry-out is safely concealed in my backpack.

All of these reviews are independent of the food served at the lounge. At this time, New York clearly has the best food, though given that most users are riding a first-class Acela that serves meals and has an open bar, and are probably no traveling more than 3 hours, that seems a little redundant. I always thought that Boston had the nicest selection of snackies, though Philly has the cool multi-drink expresso-cappuccino machine. Washington, as usual, brings up the rear; in fact, the coffee machine would be on the fritz for weeks on end, and they put up a rather small percolator urn. Usually, by the time I got there, what was left was bitter sludge. When the coffee machine was fixed, the drinks dispenser would go haywire, and then they set out cans of soda. You could only pray that the ice machine was still working. Of course, my use of the Washington lounge involves either waiting for my 40 minute ride to Baltimore, or waiting on a long-distance train where I was going to be served food soon after boarding. Nonetheless, despite my critique of the Washington lounge, it does beat the alternative.

2. Boston
3. Philadelphia
4. Washington

Both Boston and Philly have the most relaxed and quiet vibes. I almost might rate Philly a bit better because of the direct elevator drop to the tracks, but I think Boston is a more open pleasant space. Chicago can get busy and a little noisy, though you can go upstairs (or will be able to do so once this pandemic business ends.) I can't really judge whether New York will get busy and noisy when business recovers. It was pretty quiet and mellow the day I was there.

Washington is the lounge that needs the most work. It's a real closed-in bunker, though it has the advantage that access to the upper level tracks bypasses the gates, so you can avoid the lines. It's no fun butting in line, even if you can flash your Select Plus card to show that it's OK to do so. Unfortunately, they no longer let you access the lower track gates unattended, so you do have to go butt in line for anything leaving from the lower level. Another problem is that they only announce Acelas and long-distance trains for sleeper passengers in the lounge, so you don't get an opportunity to pre-board the Northeast Regionals. They are also a bit anal about outside food, it being the only lounge where I've been hassled merely for bringing a carry-out bag in, even though I was planning to eat it on the train. I learned my lesson, and make sure my carry-out is safely concealed in my backpack.

All of these reviews are independent of the food served at the lounge. At this time, New York clearly has the best food, though given that most users are riding a first-class Acela that serves meals and has an open bar, and are probably no traveling more than 3 hours, that seems a little redundant. I always thought that Boston had the nicest selection of snackies, though Philly has the cool multi-drink expresso-cappuccino machine. Washington, as usual, brings up the rear; in fact, the coffee machine would be on the fritz for weeks on end, and they put up a rather small percolator urn. Usually, by the time I got there, what was left was bitter sludge. When the coffee machine was fixed, the drinks dispenser would go haywire, and then they set out cans of soda. You could only pray that the ice machine was still working. Of course, my use of the Washington lounge involves either waiting for my 40 minute ride to Baltimore, or waiting on a long-distance train where I was going to be served food soon after boarding. Nonetheless, despite my critique of the Washington lounge, it does beat the alternative.
Good analysis Joe! My expierience in the NEC Lounges matches yours, except for the New Monihan Lounge, which I'll get to see tomorrow and Tuesday while in New York!

Bob Dylan,you will be amazed when you get to see the Moynihan station and use their lounge. If only every lounge could be this great. By the way the food and drink selections beat any flex meal and they will be expanding it soon to include a full service bar and hot food. Glad I am a Select plus member.

2. Boston
3. Philadelphia
4. Washington

I really hope food service returns to the Chicago lounge. How much longer can they use Covid as an excuse?. New York,Philly,DC and LA never stopped serving food and drink. I ll be in Chicago a week from Thursday. Gonna try Lou Mitchell's for breakfast.

Here for my first visit and as others, blown away by the edifice and the Metropolitan Lounge. Question: does anyone know if the Pennsylvanian has a typical departure track from here? Since Business Class doesn't give me privileges to the lounge tomorrow, want to position myself well enough to get a jump when boarding starts.20210529_111651.jpg

Here for my first visit and as others, blown away by the edifice and the Metropolitan Lounge. Question: does anyone know if the Pennsylvanian has a typical departure track from here? Since Business Class doesn't give me privileges to the lounge tomorrow, want to position myself well enough to get a jump when boarding starts.View attachment 22669
Assuming no trackwork in the station...9/10, 11/12 are the two best bets....

Bob Dylan,you will be amazed when you get to see the Moynihan station and use their lounge. If only every lounge could be this great. By the way the food and drink selections beat any flex meal and they will be expanding it soon to include a full service bar and hot food. Glad I am a Select plus member.
@Bob Dylan was there a couple of weeks back, about a week before I was there.

Question. So at the old Penn Station you had to wait for boarding to begin to head down to the tracks, right?

Is that the same here? Or can you head down whenever you're ready even if it's before boarding is called.

Question. So at the old Penn Station you had to wait for boarding to begin to head down to the tracks, right?

Is that the same here? Or can you head down whenever you're ready even if it's before boarding is called.
Amtrak has staff @ the Down escalators in Moynihan Trail Hall that check your tickets when going down to the platforms.

The Metro Lounge gives you a chance to board early by announcing boarding for Passengers in the Lounge and Redcaps also take you to the Trains early.

How would you know where to go down before boarding is called? No track number is posted anywhere before boarding is called. There is no difference from the old Penn Station Concourse as far as that goes. Whe I boarded there were no Gate Agent around though, which is different. But that maybe because they know that it is unlikely that any non-Amtrak customer would by mistake get to the platform from the Moynihan Train Hall. It should also be noted that a very significant number of passengers still board from the original station and not from Moynihan, simply because the original station is closer to more Subway stations.

Last edited:
How would you know where to go down before boarding is called? No track number is posted anywhere before boarding is called. There is no difference from the old Penn Station Concourse as far as that goes. Whe I boarded there were no Gate ***** around though, which is different. But that maybe because they know that it is unlikely that any non-Amtrak customer would by mistake get to the platform from the Moynihan Train Hall. It should also be noted that a very significant number of passengers still board from the original station and not from Moynihan, simply because the original station is closer to more Subway stations.
I didn't realize track numbers aren't posted, guess you have to wait for the announcement...

How often do you ride to get Select Plus?
It should also be noted that a very significant number of passengers still board from the original station and not from Moynihan, simply because the original station is closer to more Subway stations.
This part of the project is so silly to me. Just spent almost $2 billion on this new hall, but since we need more capacity and the hall didn't do anything for that, we need Penn Station South for another couple billion. ©Andrew Cuomo #didyouknowhe'sgovernorofnewyork #definitelynotpayinghisfriends #omginfrastructure

I didn't realize track numbers aren't posted, guess you have to wait for the announcement...
Sometimes you can get to know the track number in the Lounge a few minutes before it is publicly posted and announced.

For through trains sometimes the Arrival track is posted and that is a clear hint as to what the Departure track will be :)

In the old lounge at NYP, they would let passengers know the track well before it's announced to the public. That would allow you to leave the lounge and get to the head of the cattle line at the gate. It's been some time since they actually checked tickets, though. If I had luggage, I'd get a redcap. They would make it their business to get you to the platform first, and get you to a good seat, and that worth the tip.

In the Moynihan lounge, they also announce the track well before it's announced to the public. You then have to go down the escalator to the main train hall, and then to the escalator to your track. There were no crowds in April, and the gate usher just let us down to the train, I'm not sure how it's going to work when business picks up.

Back