Flagstaff, AZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we bring this thread back to life. My friend and I will be in Flagstaff next month and we would love to know what is happening there. We are staying at the Sonesta Suites for 5 nights, renting a car and going to the Grand Canyon and seeing the other Parks and Monuments around Flagstaff.
Does any one have good ideas for great eating places?
And especially how is the covid is situation there? We are are going to be very careful and do most of our eating at outside or drive thu places instead of indoors if possible. Also, is it only C.C. or Bank Card for payments, not cash?
Please let me know how Flagstaff is doing now. Thanks for any replies.

As it so happens, I was just in Flagstaff last week on a road trip from Las Vegas to Albuquerque (and racked in 14 National Parks along the way, Meteor crater, etc). You are so right...there's plenty to see and visit around there! I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, in part because how close it was to spots to eat.

The first I can recommend is Coco's Bakery. It has a full, varied menu and great service. Online ordering, too.

I also went to Cane's Chicken. They are always VERY busy with the drive-thru line out into the street, but I simply parked, walked in, placed my order and was out in about 7 min. Tasty chicken strips and special sauce. That's about all they do there, but it works.

Another place which is kind of fun is Diablo Burger in the heart of town. They do carryout but it is a little tricky to find. Online ordering here...

As for COVID mindfulness, from staff at where I was staying and eating they were all compliant. I chose to bring food back to the hotel so if what I saw of people right in Flagstaff, I'd say...60% wearing masks. Of course, out at the National Parks you must wear a mask indoors. And just a warning, several park visit centers were closed, with rangers outside to answer Q's and provide canceling stamps (if that's something you partake in!) Grand Canyon got busy very quickly in the morning. I got there at...8:15 and rolled in no problem. After 9:30, their cam reported long waits, up to 2 hrs on one weekend day!

I solely used credit cards for most transactions, but I didn't see any signs posted where cash wasn't accepted. YMMV depending where you go...but shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps our trip report might be helpful. Flagstaff is an interesting and walkable downtown but what better way to get the Grand Canyon than by train! Staying at least one night at the GC allows you to really explore the park especially at dusk and dawn when the light in the canyon is stunning - not to mention being far less crowded.

Hopefully you’ll have time to head east and see the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert NP. If so, plan on spending a night at the fabulous La Posada hotel in Winslow.

One of our members lives in Flagstaff and is also a Volunteer Guide @ a Park near there.

His handle is Greatcats, he's a retired Rail Crew Scheduler from New Jersey, and loves to help folks visiting in Northern Arizona.

You may want to PM him here on AU, he be a great asset for your visit to Flagstaff.
Thanks for the tip. He sounds like to a great help to visitors. :)

As it so happens, I was just in Flagstaff last week on a road trip from Las Vegas to Albuquerque (and racked in 14 National Parks along the way, Meteor crater, etc). You are so right...there's plenty to see and visit around there! I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, in part because how close it was to spots to eat.

The first I can recommend is Coco's Bakery. It has a full, varied menu and great service. Online ordering, too.

I also went to Cane's Chicken. They are always VERY busy with the drive-thru line out into the street, but I simply parked, walked in, placed my order and was out in about 7 min. Tasty chicken strips and special sauce. That's about all they do there, but it works.

Another place which is kind of fun is Diablo Burger in the heart of town. They do carryout but it is a little tricky to find. Online ordering here...

As for COVID mindfulness, from staff at where I was staying and eating they were all compliant. I chose to bring food back to the hotel so if what I saw of people right in Flagstaff, I'd say...60% wearing masks. Of course, out at the National Parks you must wear a mask indoors. And just a warning, several park visit centers were closed, with rangers outside to answer Q's and provide canceling stamps (if that's something you partake in!) Grand Canyon got busy very quickly in the morning. I got there at...8:15 and rolled in no problem. After 9:30, their cam reported long waits, up to 2 hrs on one weekend day!

I solely used credit cards for most transactions, but I didn't see any signs posted where cash wasn't accepted. YMMV depending where you go...but shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks. Especially about what time you got into Grand Canyon and the other parks. And your eating places sounded good.:)

Perhaps our trip report might be helpful. Flagstaff is an interesting and walkable downtown but what better way to get the Grand Canyon than by train! Staying at least one night at the GC allows you to really explore the park especially at dusk and dawn when the light in the canyon is stunning - not to mention being far less crowded.

Hopefully you’ll have time to head east and see the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert NP. If so, plan on spending a night at the fabulous La Posada hotel in Winslow.
Good thought. We will think about it. ;)

Thanks every one so much for giving me such great info, tips and help with Flagstaff. We can't wait to get there and have a great time. Your info has helped a lot. 😁 👍

We were in Flagstaff in September and arrived on the SWC about 9:30pm about 1/2 hour late. We had reserved the Marriot Residence Inn which is about a 2 block walk from the station and is new and comfortable. There was a free buffet breakfast the next morning which was better than average. Because if the COVID situation they still allowed you to serve yourself but wearing plastic gloves and masks which you could take off at the table.

One place we enjoyed near Flagstaff was the botanical garden. You do need a car to get there as it is a few miles out of town. We had a rental as we were planning a drive through AZ stopping at William's then into Colorado.

Back