Flexible dining - Requesting a review from a recent rider

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Dakota 400

Conductor
I think one clear and direct warning should have been enough. At that point you can tell if they're going to take it seriously or not. As soon as it's obvious they don't care or can't control themselves it's time to go. Not sure why this conductor felt they needed two chances but glad things ended on a positive note.
My experience on the SWC was of a conductor who was not tolerant. A drunk, loud, and abusive guest in the dining car got moved to the SSL until we arrived at the next station. (This happened soon after we had left Los Angeles, so that was not a long period of time.) When the train stopped, the guest became combative when the conductor and the trainman tried to remove him. Another rather burly guest came to their aid and got him down the steps and delivered to the police waiting. Not sure why the police didn't board the train to help the Amtrak staff.

crescent-zephyr

Conductor
There’s a particular conductor who I’ve had on multiple city of New Orleans trips who seems to enjoy “busting” passengers who try to party on the way down to New Orleans. Some may find it a little over the top, but I’ve persobally found it entertaining to watch him confiscate private stock... visibly pour it down the drain in the upstairs lounge sink and then throw away the bottles.

Ferroequinologist

Service Attendant
There’s a particular conductor who I’ve had on multiple city of New Orleans trips who seems to enjoy “busting” passengers who try to party on the way down to New Orleans. Some may find it a little over the top, but I’ve persobally found it entertaining to watch him confiscate private stock... visibly pour it down the drain in the upstairs lounge sink and then throw away the bottles.
These reports are making me feel that my next trip cross country is going to be like three days traveling with rough and tough bums - at a price of nearly $1,500 one way.

railiner

Conductor
Sounds like one particular former D&RGW conductor that came over to Amtrak...His run was Denver to Grand Junction, and I'll bet he averaged almost one 'ejection' per trip....

me_little_me

Conductor
True this, it's just that right now jerks feel free to do what they want because certain Political "Leaders" urge them on and set poor examples, along with certain Media.
That behavior long preceded the idiots that encourage it and will long continue. Nothing has really changed. It's just that it is reported more often and in the toxic atmosphere of opposite sides with no middle, both sides use it as a stick to beat on the other side assisted by the plethora of "commentators" who now replace most reporters.

joelkfla

Service Attendant
Lo and behold, I was preparing my online shopping list to pick up at a supermarket, and the Ken's 1.5 oz packets in a number of varieties have been added at Shoprite. Never noticed them before.
Now that you mention it, I've seen them in the deli department of supermarkets that have a salad bar.

tricia

Conductor
That behavior long preceded the idiots that encourage it and will long continue. Nothing has really changed. It's just that it is reported more often and in the toxic atmosphere of opposite sides with no middle, both sides use it as a stick to beat on the other side assisted by the plethora of "commentators" who now replace most reporters.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that loutish behavior is more prevalent right now. Just yesterday, in the supermarket where I shop most often, when I said to someone in the aisle: "You need to be wearing a mask," the response was: "Mind your own business before you get hurt." Bullies have definitely been encouraged lately.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that loutish behavior is more prevalent right now. Just yesterday, in the supermarket where I shop most often, when I said to someone in the aisle: "You need to be wearing a mask," the response was: "Mind your own business before you get hurt." Bullies have definitely been encouraged lately.
I agree completely.

Our country has never been known for its politeness. However, rudeness, viciousness, ignorance, and spite have not been considered virtues until recently.

I may be wrong, and there may be exceptions, but I assume most polite and civilized countries have polite leaders? (And yes, they can be tough and firm but polite and courteous at the same time—decency is not weakness.)

I’m assuming the opposite is also true? That a rude, vicious, ignorant, spiteful leader would encourage the people he leads to behave like him?

crescent-zephyr

Conductor
A report on train orders said the crews on the Cardinal and Silver Metoer weren’t allowing sleeping car passengers to pick up food or eat in the lounge / diner.

Not sure about accuracy, but interesting to note.

MARC Rider

Conductor
A report on train orders said the crews on the Cardinal and Silver Metoer weren’t allowing sleeping car passengers to pick up food or eat in the lounge / diner.

Not sure about accuracy, but interesting to note.
This could actually be worse than the lousy food. If I were expected to take a 24 hour ride locked up in a small sleeper compartment for the entire time, I would seriously think about another means of transportation. I can't see any reason that picking up a meal and eating it in the diner (socially distanced, of course) is such an order-of-magnitude increased risk that it justifies turning the train into some sort of rolling prison for sleeper passengers. After all, the coach passengers are all out in the open the whole trip, and they're eating, too, when they're hungry. So why can't the sleeper passengers, who pay a lot more, be allowed to do that, too?