Flipped around pricing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer
I am starting to think of next year's vacation, and thought would check to see the current prices on the Silvers to Orlando.

I put into the website for 2 adults, on February 12, 2014 and found this:

Silver Star 2 coach $574 1 roomette $479

Silver Meteor 2 coach $258 1 roomette $479

I am going to guess that for the Star, coach is already at the highest bucket, but for both the Star and the Meteor the roomettes are still at the lowest bucket.

This is not a complaint, just a interesting data point that I thought i would share.

Will be interesting to see if that wide disparity holds up as next year approaches.

I am starting to think of next year's vacation, and thought would check to see the current prices on the Silvers to Orlando.
I put into the website for 2 adults, on February 12, 2014 and found this:

Silver Star 2 coach $574 1 roomette $479

Silver Meteor 2 coach $258 1 roomette $479

I am going to guess that for the Star, coach is already at the highest bucket, but for both the Star and the Meteor the roomettes are still at the lowest bucket.

This is not a complaint, just a interesting data point that I thought i would share.
I'm a bit confused. I just looked at Amtrak.com for 2/12/14, and the prices for both the Meteor and the Star NYP-ORL are identical: 2 coach @ $131 each ($262), and roomette for $221. Depending on your departure point, the low coach fare on the Meteor seems about right for both, but your roomette cost is too high.

Yes - I was confused by the above figures. Are you sure you entered the right stations?

$574 for two coach seats seems like an error. Something appears to be wrong there...

I'm a bit confused. I just looked at Amtrak.com for 2/12/14, and the prices for both the Meteor and the Star NYP-ORL are identical: 2 coach @ $131 each ($262), and roomette for $221. Depending on your departure point, the low coach fare on the Meteor seems about right for both, but your roomette cost is too high.
For both the Star and the Meteor, a roomette is listed as a $221 additional charge. For the Meteor, if you add up $258 as the railfare with $221, you get the $479.

I assume for the Star, the base railfare is still $258, but its the coach fare that is at $574.

Yes - I was confused by the above figures. Are you sure you entered the right stations?

$574 for two coach seats seems like an error. Something appears to be wrong there...
Here are the screen shots. First showing Coach for both, and the second showing Roomette for both.

34fjf2f.jpg

qryr0k.jpg

I have had a situation like that (though not as large of a price difference!)

I was looking to take a weekend trip to RNO with a friend from EMY/SAC (I got on in EMY and he got on in SAC)...

Pricing for coach would have been $178 for 2. Pricing for a Roomette was $176 total (including rail fare) for two. Not as big of a difference, I know, but paying $2 less for our own room and lunch... not a bad deal. On the way back Coach was sold out, however Roomettes were still at the low bucket. Granted, if we booked early and got the low bucket coach fare it would have been less, but at the time we booked the Roomette actually saved money over coach.

I booked the roomette from SAC-RNO and planned on taking the CC to/from up to SAC and transfer (using my 10-ride), however instead of transfering I just purchased a coach ticket instead from EMY-SAC on the way up and RSV-EMY on the way back. Both ways the conductor said why don't I just go to the room/stay in the room to/from EMY instead so he walked me back and, with the permission of the SCA and Conductor, I was able to just use the room the whole time instead of transfering to/from coach. That was very nice of them as I wouldn't have minded transfering. All and all it was a good deal considering the fares at the time!

A funny aside, the SCA on the way up placed me in another open room as she hadn't prepared mine yet at EMY for my SAC boarding. It actually worked out that she did as someone boarded in RIC and had my room booked from RIC-SAC!! We were both a bit surprised (Room was $56 on top of a $26 rail fare with no meals included), however no one was booked in the room she moved me too the entire trip and it was on the other side which had a nicer view overall :)

Here are the screen shots. First showing Coach for both, and the second showing Roomette for both.

34fjf2f.jpg

qryr0k.jpg
Interesting. Only Philadelphia has that problem. Look at NYP, TRE, WIL and WAS. All show the Silver Star coach fare to ORL as the low bucket. Only PHL has the high fare. It has to be an error.

While I would be booking a roomette, and therefore would not be requiring this to be fixed...

How does one actually go about getting such fixed? I assume if I contacted Amtrak, I would simply get "standard reply #37: customer complaining that our prices are too high".

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back