Flooding on route to New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim

We are sheduled to travel from Chicago to New Orleans on Wed 4/27 leaving Chicago at 8PM. We received a call tonight from Amtrak that there may be flooding which could cause our trip to be delayed or canceled. I can't find any more detailed information on news searches, Amtrak.com, etc... Anyone know specifically where the problem is along the route? I know there is a lot of rain in the area with potential flooding but not sure what portions of the rail line may be affected.

In three days the Ohio river will be at its second-highest recorded level, and the Mississippi will be at its fourth-highest level. Where the two rivers meet at Cairo, Illinois, the water will be the highest on record. Granted, the railroad bridge at Cairo is high enough to clear even a record flood, so it may be that smaller rivers are causing trouble elsewhere on the route, or that the lower track north of the bridge could go under.

Mark

I travel this route on May 18 hopefully all this flooding will be over by then. :hi:

Anyone know specifically where the problem is along the route? I know there is a lot of rain in the area with potential flooding but not sure what portions of the rail line may be affected.
I know there is quite a bit of flooding around Arkansas and Missouri. The Branson Valley area is getting a lot of runoff from northern Arkansas. The upper Mississippi is flooded. Word I got from a person who lives in Arkansas is they expect heavy rains for two more weeks, and the ground is already saturated. Since the CONO more or less follows the Mississippi River, it's obvious that it would be passing through some of those flooded areas, especially the ones near southern MO and Northern AR.

Well, I'm going on May 11. I certainly hope it's over by then! I'd hate to miss the event I'm going to! My trip is two weeks away!

Ohhh no! We are scheduled to leave on April 28th from Chicago to New Orleans. I've had this trip booked since January - this can't be happening! Tell me it isn't so!! :(

The route for the City of New Orleans doesn't actually go through Arkansas or Missouri does it? I know there is a lot of flooding in those states but it seems the flooding hindering the route would be the flooding in southern Illinois. All the weather reports I have read seem to suggest that all the rivers were cresting today. Even with the expected rain river levels should be coming down over the next few weeks. Anyone heard anything different?

I just checked the Amtrak website and they are reporting a service disruption on this route for the train today.

Another Train Forum has a Post saying that the Flooding on the CONO Route is North of Memphis????

I can't find any Real Official Info but if it's Similar to the Problems on the Texas Eagle Routes it's Very Serious! :help: I have a Trip Booked thru AGR for Next Week on #22 AUS-CHI and The Cardinal #50 (CHI-WAS) which also Runs next to Rivers and Creeks Thru the Mountains and Along the Ohio/VW Border. Last Year When the River North of LRK Flooded there was several days of Service Disruptions/Cancellations on this Route, hope it goes down Quickly! We Could Use the Rain Down this Way, hasn't Rained since Lincolns Funeral train ran! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
SO if the train is cancelled what do they do? Would they bus or fly us to Memphis? I have a cottage rented for a week that I've already paid for so my travel time is not real flexible. :help:

Just saw a Post on Trainorders that says there will be Bustitutions between Carbondale and Memphis on the CONO Route for the Next Few Days? Also #21 will not run South of St. Louis, (Todays #21 is shown as Service Disruption Out of CHI) and #22 will only run between SAS and FTW until Fri 4/29, (Yesterdays #22 is Shown as 10+Hrs Down in PBF) but there is No Mention of Bustitution or Alternate Arrangements on the Eagles Route?? :help: ***???????? :eek:

I just checked the Amtrak website and they are reporting a service disruption on this route for the train today.
According to a station agent today in Hammond, LA, the CONO is only running between New Orleans & Memphis and between Chicago & Carbondale with no alternate transportation from Memphis to Carbondale (roads flooded as well) for at least the next three to four days. The northbound #58 came through Hammond today about 10 minutes behind schedule with two engines back to back leading the train. At best guess, this is to make it easier to turn the train at Memphis. It terminates in Memphis tonight. Yesterday's #58 apparently made it to Fulton, KY, but was turned there and sent back south to Memphis. It ran as today's #59 southbound.

SO if the train is cancelled what do they do? Would they bus or fly us to Memphis? I have a cottage rented for a week that I've already paid for so my travel time is not real flexible. :help:
A couple of years ago I was taking the Texas Eagle back from BNL. There was bad flooding all through Missouri (or so we were told). They did a bustitution. If they do it this go-round I hope they are better organized. The trip on the bus was truly miserable (18 hours between STL and MIN). It was overnight and they played loud movies on video all night long - no one slept, I think. They were also NOT motorcoaches; they were more like city buses and were very uncomfortable.

If I get wind of a bustitution for my May 16 trip, I will just cancel it and request a refund. It is not worth it to me to travel on a bus again like that.

According to a station agent today in Hammond, LA, the CONO is only running between New Orleans & Memphis and between Chicago & Carbondale with no alternate transportation from Memphis to Carbondale (roads flooded as well) for at least the next three to four days. The northbound #58 came through Hammond today about 10 minutes behind schedule with two engines back to back leading the train. At best guess, this is to make it easier to turn the train at Memphis. It terminates in Memphis tonight. Yesterday's #58 apparently made it to Fulton, KY, but was turned there and sent back south to Memphis. It ran as today's #59 southbound.
The low elevation tracks are between Fulton KY and Cairo IL. This is the very western edge of Kentucky. The line is very close to the Mississippi River in this area. Ohio River high water is more significant that Upper Mississippi River high water. Approximately 2/3 of the river water flows passing Cairo IL is on the Ohio River side.

The highway route between Memphis and Carbondale would most logically be I-55 up the Arkansas side of the River, then crossing the River on I-57 to go north to Carbondale. Does anybody know where this is flooded out?

From all indications the rivers were cresting yesterday and today which means they will start going down soon. I fully expect them to be down by May 18 when I leave.

Well, I already posted in another thread about my worries going through north dakota on EB in a couple of weeks. So now I get to worry about CONO from chicago to memphis too. YIPPIE!!

I will be traveling around the weekend of May 14th so I am just gonna cross my fingers and toes and arms and legs and pray for the best. :)

I watched the weather issue all day today as i am on vacation and the tornado's that hit the south went right through my home area, so I kept a close eye on it all day. They were saying that in parts of desoto county in MS they were having to rescue people because the mississippi river was already flooding land down there.

Went to Amtrak site to check the status of the train that left NOL yesterday. It says they expect it to arrive in CHI 3 minutes late! So evidently the flood waters have receded enough to allow passage.

I hope this is the case!

Went to Amtrak site to check the status of the train that left NOL yesterday. It says they expect it to arrive in CHI 3 minutes late! So evidently the flood waters have receded enough to allow passage.
That's sort of misleading. The COLO is split in two, with a northern leg between Carbondale and Chicago and a southern leg between Memphis and New Orleans. No mention of a connection between CBL and MEM.

Thanks..I noticed they have now changed the status of yesterday's departure from NOL.

What happens to the folks who have thru tickets? Does anyone know if they're being bussed from MEM to CDL around the flooding?

Flood waters must have gone down. According to Amtrak site, the train that left NOL on Wed. arrived in Chicago Thurs. morning 18 minutes late.

58 City Of New Orleans From New Orleans, LA (NOL) 1:45 pm Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:45 pm Wed Apr 27, 2011 Departed: on time.

To Chicago, IL -

Union Station (CHI) 9:00 am Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:18 am Thu Apr 28, 2011 Arrived: 18 minutes late.

<br class="clear_both">

The train that left Chicago Wednesday night arrived in New Orleans at 4 PM, 28 minutes late.

59 City Of New Orleans From Chicago, IL -

Union Station (CHI) 8:00 pm Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:00 pm Wed Apr 27, 2011 Departed: on time.

To New Orleans, LA (NOL) 3:32 pm Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:00 pm Thu Apr 28, 2011 Arrived: 28 minutes late.

More info. #58 left New Orleans at 1:45 PM on Thursday, arrived in Chicago this morning at 8:44 AM, 16 minutes early!

Try reserving from NOL to CHI tomorrow or Sunday.. No go. Then try NOL to MEM tomorrow or Sunday. OK.

I think they're still running COLO in two parts -- NOL to MEM and CDL to CHI. And of course the reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back