Florida to Boston Trip, need help with luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone. First time using this forum and first time amtrak rider getting ready for a long 30 hour trip! So I am moving to Boston and wanted to utilize Amtrak because it's cheaper and I can bring luggage. The first segment of my trip says they have checked bags. I plan to have. 5 bags total; so check 2 and carry on 3. However my second segment from NY Penn station to Boston, does not have checked bags. But is there any way I will be able bring my 2 checked bags onto the second segment of my trip? I would appreciate any input, thank you.

They should set up a UPS store at Penn Station to handle all the excess checked baggage from people coming in on long-distance trains and are transferring to various corridor trains. At $25 to $50 a bag, they could ship it right from there to your final destination.

Unfortunately, in your situation, you're out of luck. The only checked baggage to Boston is on the overnight train, #66, and that one is currently suspended, and it's not clear when it's going to be resumed. Even when they had checked baggage it would have been a delayed arrival - you would have had to return to the station the next day to pick up your bags.

MARC Rider is correct about the current situation. Theoretically, you could have the bags shipped on the Lake Shore Limited #48 from New York at 3:40 pm arriving Albany at 6:20 pm and eastbound 449 leaving Albany the next day at 3:05 pm arriving Boston at 8:00 pm. Though I imagine this would cause the bags to arrive two days after your arrival in Boston due to the arrival time of your northbound train from Florida.

If you call, you should be able to get this approved, as there usually is a baggage connection New York-Boston.

MARC Rider is correct about the current situation. Theoretically, you could have the bags shipped on the Lake Shore Limited #48 from New York at 3:40 pm arriving Albany at 6:20 pm and eastbound 449 leaving Albany the next day at 3:05 pm arriving Boston at 8:00 pm. Though I imagine this would cause the bags to arrive two days after your arrival in Boston due to the arrival time of your northbound train from Florida.

If you call, you should be able to get this approved, as there usually is a baggage connection New York-Boston.
No checked baggage on 448/449 any more, so that is out, too.

That is too much to carry on, even with Amtrak's lax enforcement.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a real fan of using UPS for excess baggage in the amount described here (1 or 2 extra suitcases). I did that in March on my trip home from Maine, where I I couldn't repack everything into my suitcase. I just had it all in a big bag, I went to the UPS store, they packed it all up for me and sent it right to my home, 2-3 day shipping time, about $50, including the box and packing for a pretty big box that was, admittedly, full of clothes. Out of my hair for the rest of the trip, and it arrived right on my doorstep. Of course, you have to worry about porch pirates, but if they had stolen the box, I would have laughed and laughed at the though of the thieves unpacking my dirty laundry! :)

We used to do this all the time. The easiest thing to do is check your bags all the way to Boston and pick up your stuff the next day at South Station. That may not be that convenient depending on where you are staying but there is a way to drive directly into the baggage area from the Dorchester Ave side just before the Post Office building. It is a heavy security looking gate and doesn't look very inviting but they will let you through to access the Amtrak baggage area.

Of course this all depends on when they are running the baggage cars again. Don't know when you are moving.

.Amtrak.jpg

When did that get implemented?
Sounds like it conflicts with checked baggage to/from Boston, which always travels (or did before they were suspended) on 65/66/67 no matter what destination or train you were booked on. (At another station, usually NYP, the baggage would be transferred to or from another train, such as 49 if the destination was Chicago or farther west, but would probably arrive a day later than the passenger.)

Since 65/66/67 were suspended, none of this happens, but common expectation is the same scheme will resume when these trains are reinstated in March April May whenever.

When did that get implemented?
I first encountered it in July, 2021, as mentioned in my post #67 in the thread linked below. It is a lengthy story, and I first mention the policy in the seventh paragraph:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/atlanta-losing-checked-baggage-service.78985/page-3#post-905919
While the thread is about the temporary luggage situation in Atlanta at that time--which fortunately was resolved within weeks of my post--this incident is when I first encountered the "bags must travel with the passenger" policy, at a very inopportune time. I was made to feel like a criminal for wanting to check my bag through to my final destination, but have the bag ride on trains that I wasn't. Unfortunately, when I returned home, I got busy with family matters, and never followed up with Amtrak, which is unlike me.

Later in the year, in November, while again riding the Crescent, in telling the story to an Amtrak employee in the Atlanta station, he confirmed that this is indeed the policy, but could not tell me when or why it started.

Last edited:
Boston doesn't have checked luggage currently, and the station page says there isn't assistance or baggage carts either. Usually the overnight Northeast Regional (65/66/67) has a baggage car, but since it came back, it hasn't. The ticket office opens at 5:30 AM daily and "passenger assistance", whatever that means, starts at 5 AM daily.

Boston doesn't have checked luggage currently, and the station page says there isn't assistance or baggage carts either. Usually the overnight Northeast Regional (65/66/67) has a baggage car, but since it came back, it hasn't. The ticket office opens at 5:30 AM daily and "passenger assistance", whatever that means, starts at 5 AM daily.
I do not know where you got the information that South Station doesn't have "baggage assistance" (Red Caps). The station page for BOS clearly states that it does (although with a typo, "by" where it seems "but" was intended)

"Baggage assistance provided by no checked baggage at this time"

https://www.amtrak.com/stations/bos.html
South Station is also listed as one of the stations with Red Caps here:

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy/at-station-baggage-services.html
I do not know what time they come on duty, but South Station does have Red Caps per Amtrak.com

Last edited:
Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a real fan of using UPS for excess baggage in the amount described here (1 or 2 extra suitcases). I did that in March on my trip home from Maine, where I I couldn't repack everything into my suitcase. I just had it all in a big bag, I went to the UPS store, they packed it all up for me and sent it right to my home, 2-3 day shipping time, about $50, including the box and packing for a pretty big box that was, admittedly, full of clothes. Out of my hair for the rest of the trip, and it arrived right on my doorstep. Of course, you have to worry about porch pirates, but if they had stolen the box, I would have laughed and laughed at the though of the thieves unpacking my dirty laundry! :)
Last time I did this it cost close to $100 for a 35 lb bag by UPS. This was in June from San Francisco to Jersey City.

Is there some sort of parcel service, perhaps not as fast as UPS (etc) which you could use to ship stuff from Florida to Boston? Perhaps there are moving companies which will transport just a few boxes?

I have taken many an early morning train from South Station, and there have always been Red Caps waiting to assist passengers with their luggage. Usually using a Red Cap will get you on the train prior to general boarding.

Ken
Fingers crossed they'll be there to help me this early!

Another question...how strict is Amtrak about the size of personal items? We can take two "carry on's" & 2 "personal items" each, but I am having trouble finding any bags fitting the 14x11x7" dimensions. My son's backpack is a couple inches bigger than that & it's not even a huge one.

Fingers crossed they'll be there to help me this early!

Another question...how strict is Amtrak about the size of personal items? We can take two "carry on's" & 2 "personal items" each, but I am having trouble finding any bags fitting the 14x11x7" dimensions. My son's backpack is a couple inches bigger than that & it's not even a huge one.
Amtrak doesn't measure anything. A daypack type backpack will be fine.

Back